PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Cloning

kevin1981
2015-Jun-26, 07:44 PM
Hi, If i was genetically cloned, would my clone have the same personality as me and have the same traits. Like having a sweet tooth, liking dance music, being short like me ect..

Also, even though human cloning is illegal so you think some people some where have secretly experimented ? It would not surprise me..

Swift
2015-Jun-26, 08:03 PM
Hi, If i was genetically cloned, would my clone have the same personality as me and have the same traits. Like having a sweet tooth, liking dance music, being short like me ect..
Short answer - no. Much of human behavior has a learned component (the old nature versus nurture debate). Your clone would have different life experiences and would end up differently. Even identical twins raised together have some individual differences.

How big a difference there would be between you and your clone, I can't say.

Also, even though human cloning is illegal so you think some people some where have secretly experimented ? It would not surprise me..
I'm almost positive that the first stages of making a human clone have been at least attempted, but such clones have not progressed beyond a single cell or a small collection of cells.

I don't know what the legal status of human cloning is globally.

It would not shock me if someone has carried out experiments to later stages, but if I had to guess, I would guess it hasn't been done yet. I would also guess that it will be done at some point, on the broad time frame of years to a couple of decades.

kevin1981
2015-Jun-26, 08:53 PM
Short answer - no. Much of human behavior has a learned component (the old nature versus nurture debate). Your clone would have different life experiences and would end up differently. Even identical twins raised together have some individual differences.

Cheers, i did wonder myself about how much nurture would be involved.

I'm almost positive that the first stages of making a human clone have been at least attempted, but such clones have not progressed beyond a single cell or a small collection of cells.

I see, i guess there is not much point in it anyway, it is not like we as a species are struggling to reproduce.

Swift
2015-Jun-26, 10:30 PM
I see, i guess there is not much point in it anyway, it is not like we as a species are struggling to reproduce.
Any interest there might be in human cloning would have, IMO, nothing to do with making more humans. As you say, there is no lack of supply.

Any interest in doing so would be because of scientific curiousity, "because we can", because of personal vanity (someone who thinks so much of themselves that they want a duplicate), and for such things as organ harvesting or a body for a brain transplant. At least that's my guess.

2015-Jun-26, 10:32 PM
Google search: separated twin studies.

E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Twin_Family_Study

In 1979, Thomas Bouchard began to study twins who were separated at birth and reared in different families. He found that an identical twin reared away from his or her co-twin seems to have about an equal chance of being similar to the co-twin in terms of personality, interests, and attitudes as one who has been reared with his or her co-twin.

Jens
2015-Jun-26, 11:35 PM

It's actually interesting that you mention such diverse things as traits. Your height would certainly be similar, but might be slight different based on your diet. I suspect you would still have a sweet tooth, since so many of us so. But dance music, I suspect that would depend a lot on the kind of music your peer group likes. I grew up liking heavy metal because that's what was popular when I was a teenager.

Solfe
2015-Jun-27, 05:16 AM
I suspect a lot of "apparently inherited traits" may simply fall under efficiency for given bodystyle as opposed to actually inherited.

All three of my kids dance, but my younger son and daughter are in competition dance in a variety of styles. My oldest prefers modern dance styles and goes to every school dance just to socialize and dance like a madman. He dances like me, which may simply come down both of us having similar body styles as opposed to me passing down my bad dancing gene. For a given body shape some movements are easier. My younger children are very slight and very graceful all the time. My oldest can manage to be graceful, but he doesn't try that often.

I would expect a clone of me to dance like me because it is easier that way. There is a small chance my clone could dance better than me, because he tries harder. There is little chance of him dancing worse than me, because that is nearly impossible to envision. :)

Inclusa
2015-Jun-27, 06:54 AM
I would like to ask the more essential question: Can we really transfer consciousness from point A to point B? We have learned that our brain is somewhat fragile......
We all know that even a clone is a different creature to start with.

Jens
2015-Jun-27, 08:55 AM
I would like to ask the more essential question: Can we really transfer consciousness from point A to point B? We have learned that our brain is somewhat fragile.....

I'm not sure what that has to do with cloning. Is there a relationship?

walker1001
2015-Jun-30, 06:30 PM
Any interest there might be in human cloning would have, IMO, nothing to do with making more humans. As you say, there is no lack of supply.

Any interest in doing so would be because of scientific curiousity, "because we can", because of personal vanity (someone who thinks so much of themselves that they want a duplicate), and for such things as organ harvesting or a body for a brain transplant. At least that's my guess.

?Clone Stephen Hawking, keep cells frozen at some stage until genetic cure for ALS found, then proceed to one or more Hawkings? :) Just a thought.
Artificial Intelligence may come first and work better?

Grey
2015-Jun-30, 06:52 PM
?Clone Stephen Hawking, keep cells frozen at some stage until genetic cure for ALS found, then proceed to one or more Hawkings? :) Just a thought.
Artificial Intelligence may come first and work better?While it's pretty likely that at least some of Hawking's intelligence and talent for physics has a genetic basis, it seems that it's at least a possibility that part of his genius is actually because of his physical disability, forcing him to focus his efforts into academic pursuits.

WaxRubiks
2015-Jun-30, 07:05 PM
If you cloned Bill Gates, would the clone have any claim to an inheritance? :D

Darrell
2015-Jun-30, 07:48 PM
I would like to ask the more essential question: Can we really transfer consciousness from point A to point B? We have learned that our brain is somewhat fragile......
We all know that even a clone is a different creature to start with.

No one knows. The first task in finding out if something like that may be possible is to figure out what consciousness is and how it is produced, to a certain high degree of detail. Progress has just, rather recently, been started on that task, but it is barely begun. In principle, as the saying goes, it seems as if it should be possible. It isn't magic after all, we just don't know how it works yet. But it may turn out to be one of those things that while possible in principle it is so complex or resource intensive that it is not possible in practice for the forseeable future.

Swift
2015-Jul-01, 01:23 AM
If you cloned Bill Gates, would the clone have any claim to an inheritance? :D
Personally, I wouldn't use the first clone of Bill Gates (v1.0); they always seem kind of buggy. I'll wait for at least Bill Gates v2.1.

:D