PDA

View Full Version : Venus & Jupiter Meet in the Evening Sky

Centaur
2015-Jun-29, 05:03 PM
During tomorrow evening (2015 JUN 30), the two brightest planets Venus and Jupiter will appear separated by only 20 arcminutes (two-thirds the diameter of a Full Moon). That’s the tightest this year, although when they move into the morning sky they will conjunct again but with 1° separation on 2015 OCT 25. A really close angular separation will occur next year when they are again in the evening sky and appear separated by only 4 arcminutes on 2016 AUG 27.

My June astronomical calendar previews tomorrow’s close separation of Venus and Jupiter. Meanwhile, my July calendar is now available featuring the trio of Venus, Jupiter and Regulus when Venus will be at its brightest for the current evening apparition.

Link to astronomical calendars: www.CurtRenz.com/calendar.html

Trebuchet
2015-Jul-01, 05:24 AM
Oh my, that's so pretty! Glad I knew about it.

Robert Tulip
2015-Jul-04, 04:50 AM
Venus conjuncts Jupiter again on 5 August, at 17 degrees away from the sun, and then meets Mercury in a nice triple conjunction with Jupiter on 6-7 August (70th anniversary of Hiroshima). Venus evening culmination was on 7 June. It goes retrograde on 27 July, resuming forward motion in the dawn sky after forty days in the wilderness, so to speak, on 6 September.

Centaur
2015-Jul-04, 05:41 AM
Venus conjuncts Jupiter again on 5 August, at 17 degrees away from the sun, and then meets Mercury in a nice triple conjunction with Jupiter on 6-7 August...

Thank you for your interest and added information, Robert. I hope you enjoyed viewing the recent close angular approach of those two bright planets.

However, your August 5 “conjunction” will be due to a sharing of ecliptical longitude, which is simple to calculate and is apparently of interest to astrologers. The separation on that date in ecliptical latitude will be a rather large 7° and during a period of continual increase. As measured by apparent direct angular separation, relative to August 5, the pair will be less far apart on August 4 and more far apart on August 6. That’s due to continued separation both in ecliptical latitude and apparent direct angular distance. As an astronomical observer, I only consider there to be a true conjunction, if the apparent direct angular separation attains a momentary minimum, which will not be the case on August 5.

Regarding the grouping of Jupiter, Venus and Mercury – astronomers refer to that as a trio. Although in that case Jupiter and Mercury will be separated by only 0.5°, while Venus will be about 8° from the others, so a rather poor trio. We call three conjunctions by one pair of celestial bodies a triple conjunction, if they occur during just a few months and includes a period of apparent retrograde motion.

Arneb
2015-Jul-04, 11:46 AM
June 30, 20015, 22:52 CEST (20:52 UTC, ca. 52° N, 14° E)

Robert Tulip
2015-Jul-04, 11:54 AM
My reason for mentioning longitude is that it tells us if planets are to the east or west of each other in the sky as a rough first order measure.

In this case, longitude is a main indicator for naked eye observation of these two brightest planets dancing around each other in the evening, and with Mercury as well over the next month.

Venus is now east of Jupiter, and will pass to its west on 7 August as they both pass Mercury, then Venus will move to the east again of Jupiter in the morning sky on 25 October.

This meeting of Mercury, Venus and Jupiter in this triple pattern with the three passes of Venus and Jupiter due to the Venus retrograde motion is relatively uncommon, last happening in August 1991.

The path of Venus in the evening sky for the first half of 2015 is shown at http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/venus-az-alt-2014-15-55n-f1-grid.png from http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/venus.htm

It is wonderful Centaur that you share such precise data. Many thanks.

Centaur
2015-Jul-04, 02:50 PM
June 30, 20015, 22:52 CEST (20:52 UTC, ca. 52° N, 14° E)

Thanks, Arneb, for sharing your pretty photo.

Arneb
2015-Jul-04, 07:07 PM
Any time. I must say, this one is a lot easier to photograph than your Jovian Moons events :D.

Jerry
2015-Jul-05, 10:59 PM
We have had a lot of fun with this; my wife marches the grandchildren out just after dark, and points out how close Jupiter and Venus appear to be in the sky, then they debate which is Jupiter and which is Venus. I hope we will be able to see it when Mercury gets in the mix - do to haze, I can only rarely spot Mercury.

DaveC426913
2015-Jul-06, 01:50 AM

What I really appreciate is that you jumped in your time machine and came back 18,000 years to share it with us! :rofl:

Arneb
2015-Jul-07, 08:57 PM
Here are a few more, showing a bit of the changes over a few days. I got decent pictures on Jun 30, Jul 1, and Jul 6, 2015. I was too lazy to whip out the camera on one day, and on the others, clouds blocked the horizon.