PDA

View Full Version : Who here is stuck in the storm hitting the mid to NE US?

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 07:08 PM
We're waiting for it to hit... .... .... .....

waiting.... ..... .......

maybe I should bake brownies to get prepared. ;)

Doodler
2005-Jan-22, 07:20 PM
Laurel's been hit with it. Not too bad so far. Its coming down pretty well.

ToSeek
2005-Jan-22, 07:30 PM
In the DC area, we're supposed to get 6-9 inches. In Boston, they're supposed to get 20-30, along with high winds to blow it all around. (You don't see the weather service issue a "Blizzard Warning" very often, but they've got one!)

Candy
2005-Jan-22, 07:34 PM
In the DC area, we're supposed to get 6-9 inches. In Boston, they're supposed to get 20-30, along with high winds to blow it all around. (You don't see the weather service issue a "Blizzard Warning" very often, but they've got one!)
How many inches was that? :wink:

It's still snowing here in Chicago! :o

Metricyard
2005-Jan-22, 07:40 PM

I think it's a visious lie. It's going to be in the 50's any moment here in Massachusetts. Any minute now. 8-[

Please don't snow. I don't want to go out there. It's cold :cry: :cry:

tmosher
2005-Jan-22, 07:41 PM
How many inches was that? :wink:

It's still snowing here in Chicago! :o

News Flash

Candy snowed in - makes 1,000 posts to BABB in one day. :D

Candy
2005-Jan-22, 07:47 PM
Candy snowed in - makes 1,000 posts to BABB in one day. :D
No such luck. I was able to make it to work last night and home this morning driving 20 miles an hour. I kicked in the 4WD all the way. The snow was so deep in the parking lot at work, that I really had fun pulling out of a parked position. :D

I then made it to class way before it started only to see everyone else arrive 15 minutes to 1 hour late. :evil:

N C More
2005-Jan-22, 07:52 PM
I think it's a visious lie. It's going to be in the 50's any moment here in Massachusetts. Any minute now. 8-[

Maybe if we just keep saying this, it will be true? I live smack dab in the middle of the 30 inches zone (Plymouth)! I'm really starting to dislike winter! :evil:

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-22, 08:28 PM
I live near Boston... Expecting 1.5-2 feet. I suppose I'll pass the time reading books and compiling a Gentoo system.

(Courtesy of my floppy drive problem and the lack of a USB pen drive or CD burner, I can only install source-based distros.)

Parrothead
2005-Jan-22, 08:46 PM
Here in Toronto -17 C (windchill -31 C). Just finished shovelling for the first time. By the time it stops snowing sometime tonight, it's figured we'll have had an accumulation of 30 cm or so.

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 08:52 PM
Metricyard, I like your optimism. I wish it WAS 50 here in MA. right now where I am it's 10 and dropping. I live between Westford and Groton... right smack in the middle of the 15-20 inch band.

:o :o

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 09:10 PM
update: it just hit... in 5 minutes it went from cold and gray to cold, gray, and snow.

my husband just got back from the store, where (among other things) he picked up a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream! ;)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-22, 09:11 PM
I'm Too Far North, to Get Most of it.

But, we are Still Expecting 10 Inches ...

As for TWO FEET!

:o

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 09:14 PM

As for TWO FEET!

Where's Henniker?

(note: I am not the work of the devil, despite the number of my post count-- which was 666 with this message!)
;)

Metricyard
2005-Jan-22, 09:27 PM
Metricyard, I like your optimism. I wish it WAS 50 here in MA. right now where I am it's 10 and dropping. I live between Westford and Groton... right smack in the middle of the 15-20 inch band.

No way!! :o :o

Fellow Grotonite here. What a small world.

What are the odds of being on a BB with users from all over the world and being next door neigbors? At least we can suffer through this storm together.

But we're NewEnglanders. We can take it.

:evil: And it just started snowing. :evil:

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 09:33 PM

No way!! :o :o

Fellow Grotonite here. What a small world.

What are the odds of being on a BB with users from all over the world and being next door neigbors? At least we can suffer through this storm together.

But we're NewEnglanders. We can take it.

:evil: And it just started snowing. :evil:

What ARE the odds!

Yep, Grotonite here, too; logged in from just east of town center about 1.5 miles.

From the time I walked to turn my car around in the driveway and time I walked back in it had started snowing and was coming down like gangbusters.

Yep, we'll get through it. Got the Bailey's, lots of firewood next to the fireplace, and the "winter rations"...

;)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-22, 09:33 PM

As for TWO FEET!

Where's Henniker?

(note: I am not the work of the devil, despite the number of my post count-- which was 666 with this message!)
;)

Here it is:

Henniker, New Hampshire, USA (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=14&Z=19&X=84&Y=1495&W=1&qs=%7cHen niker%7cNH)

Want you to Show you, My Apartment Building?

(And Don't Worry about the devil, I Don't Believe in him, Anyway ...)

Ut
2005-Jan-22, 09:35 PM
Currently looking at -22 w/ -35 degree windchill (all temperatures C), and supposedly 20-30 cm of snow coming to Kingston. There be whiteout conditions outside as we speak.

WHEE!

At least I'm not back east. They're looking at a blizzard right now, with 30-40 cm of snow and 70 km/h winds.

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 09:37 PM
Yeah, it looks like you've got a shingle loose. ;)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-22, 09:43 PM
Yeah, it looks like you've got a shingle loose. ;)

Ha-Ha

Here I Am ... (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=19&X=1351&Y=23923&W=1&qs=%7c Henniker%7cNH)

My Apartment is in The Back, of The Brown Building, with The Small Parking Lot; on The Intersection, to The North, of the Display.

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 09:45 PM
Looks like the snow missed you. ;)

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 09:46 PM
Currently looking at -22 w/ -35 degree windchill (all temperatures C), and supposedly 20-30 cm of snow coming to Kingston. There be whiteout conditions outside as we speak.

WHEE!

At least I'm not back east. They're looking at a blizzard right now, with 30-40 cm of snow and 70 km/h winds.

Those metric measurements sound so much more dramatic than English units! ;)

Stay warm..

N C More
2005-Jan-22, 09:46 PM
Let's see, myself, Gullible Jones, Spacewriter and Metricyard are all from Mass. and all on the same BB! That's some kinda odds, huh? So, let's see which one of us gets the most snow!

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-22, 09:47 PM
Looks like the snow missed you. ;)

Well that Picture is From The Spring ...

Seven Years Ago, In Fact ...

:lol:

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 09:48 PM
Let's see, myself, Gullible Jones, Spacewriter and Metricyard are all from Mass. and all on the same BB! That's some kinda odds, huh? So, let's see which one of us gets the most snow!

Yup. Tells you there's not much to do here when it snows. ;)

:o :lol: :wink: =D>

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-22, 10:08 PM
The snow started here an hour or so ago... It must already be half an inch. It's dark out, and cold... My windows are shut completely, but I can still feel the cold seeping in. :o

Metricyard
2005-Jan-22, 10:31 PM
I'm just about to start playing my mindless online video game.(UO-online)
That should keep me busy during the storm, until the power goes out.
Or I have to go out and plow the snow :evil:

Either way, I'm gonna get cold. Hope I can find my pair of longjohns.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-22, 10:32 PM

Not to be mean, but I hope I lose. :D

SarahMc
2005-Jan-22, 10:41 PM
6" on the ground so far, started snowing about 5 hours ago...it's going to be a long night of trying to keep ahead of it.

N C More
2005-Jan-22, 10:45 PM
Not to be mean, but I hope I lose. :D

I think that in a contest like this, losing is in fact winning! :wink:

Cheer up fellow "Massachusenites" I just saw NECN news and I appear to be in the "winning zone" here in Plymouth ( I would "win" something like this!).

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-22, 11:00 PM
Yeah, just saw NECN too... this thing is moving fast so maybe it won't be as bad as they expect. We've got about an inch so far since it started.

ToSeek
2005-Jan-22, 11:09 PM
It's stopped here in the DC area, though it looks as if we might get a little more later on. I went out and shoveled the walks and cleared off the cars. Seemed to be about five inches total.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-23, 12:02 AM

As for TWO FEET!

Where's Henniker?

;)[edit]
Isn't that the town that advertises itself as the "only" Henniker?

Maksutov
2005-Jan-23, 12:05 AM

Back when I lived in Niantic, CT, it was not unusual for folks to acknowledge that the weather was rotten in Groton. 8)

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-23, 12:24 AM

Back when I lived in Niantic, CT, it was not unusual for folks to acknowledge that the weather was rotten in Groton. 8)

They say that up here in MA, too.

but about the Groton in MA... often confused... ;)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Jan-23, 01:18 AM

As for TWO FEET!

Where's Henniker?

;)[edit]
Isn't that the town that advertises itself as the "only" Henniker?

Yep ...

The Only Henniker On Earth! (http://www.henniker.org/history.htm)

Not so Much, for Being a Good Name, but because we Were Named After John Henniker, the Man who Put The Royal Govenor, Benning Wentworth, in Power.

The Town Next Door, got Named After a State Hero, Meshach Weare, the First State Governor, but NO, we Got Named after a Freakin' Royalist ...

Metricyard
2005-Jan-23, 01:22 AM
One of my friends with a snowlow just dropped in. I don't have to plow my driveway. Life is good.

Got a pretty good start of some fairly large snowbanks. We have 6" easily. And it's not stopping. :cry:

mike alexander
2005-Jan-23, 01:32 AM
I guess I'm the control. Upper 40's now. Day before yesterday it was 65 (F).

6" of snow in DC. Ohhh, boy. Milk, bread, toilet paper. Stampede to the Safeway.

I remember one snow in the 80's there. Looking out the window from NIH and watching people just abandoning their cars all over Georgia Av.

beskeptical
2005-Jan-23, 01:49 AM
And this just in from Seattle's closest ski area: (http://www.summitatsnoqualmie.com/)

Unfortunately, The Summit will not be operating until we receive more snow. While we've tried all our tricks to keep things going, Mother Nature has bigger tricks at her disposal, and so she wins this round. We are very confident that this is a temporary setback, and that we'll see you on the slopes soon. We are encouraged that next week's forecast calls for winter to return. :o

ToSeek
2005-Jan-23, 05:41 AM
Webcams for keeping an eye on the storm:

Cambridge, MA: http://67.107.114.23/view/view.shtml

Newport, RI: http://livewave.com/demo/?camera=18

Ut
2005-Jan-23, 08:28 AM
My own eyes do a good job of keeping an eye on the storm.

Winds have let up a bit here. Snow's still falling. I think the sidewalks have been plowed 5 times in the past 12 hours. It's a lot of fun to just go out there and jog down the abandoned streets.

SarahMc
2005-Jan-23, 11:44 AM
14" on the ground and still falling, however it's not as heavy as it was overnight. This snow is really light and dry (read "cold"), and now that the winds are picking up, there'll be a lot of drifting and blowing - and I have to drive over 100 miles this afternoon.

Needless to say, it's going to take a lot longer than it usually does.

We didn't get hit as hard as those to the south along the coast, and in the Catskills and Berkshires. Some of those locations are already reporting 20" and up. Current temp here is 6F (-14C) and expected to fall during the day. With the upcoming winds, the wind chill will be around -20 or lower this afternoon.

But hey, it's the NorthEast - it's not like we've never seen this before. :D

Donnie B.
2005-Jan-23, 12:49 PM
18" here, so far, with another 5" to 10" expected. But I doubt we'll beat N C More's total.

Metricyard, Spacewriter... I used to live in Dunstable 8) Small world indeed! Now I'm in Central Mass.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-23, 12:54 PM
It's 8:00 am EST.

And we have a real boatload of snow.

From the looks of it, we won't be dong any camping in a while.

Vega115
2005-Jan-23, 01:09 PM
Stationed here in my house in Bayport, LI with the 'rental units. I'd say we have easily a foot, prolly over 18".

Sorry i can't give acutal numbers...we are quite literally snowed in. we can't open the front door, or the backdoor wide enough to get out. :o :o

In an interesting note, a neighbors tree (not that big, maybe 20 feet tall) fell last night...funny thing is, if it fell the other way, id be waking up to tree branches in my face! lol!

Candy
2005-Jan-23, 01:22 PM
The drive home was much better than yesterday for me. :D

I feel so sorry for the Upper East Coast. In some areas, I understand the snow won't stop until midday. 8-[

Kizarvexis
2005-Jan-23, 02:09 PM
It's clear and cold right now at 52F here in Tampa, FL. Tonight is predicted to be the coldest this winter so far at 29F with 57F for the high tomorrow. I can't wait for it to get back to the normal 70F during the day and 50-60F at night on Wednesday. Brrr, I hate blizzards. :D

Kizarvexis

Seriously, y'all be careful up there in the frozen north.

ToSeek
2005-Jan-23, 02:46 PM
The drive home was much better than yesterday for me. :D

I feel so sorry for the Upper East Coast. In some areas, I understand the snow won't stop until midday. 8-[

Boston is supposed to get snow all day and into the evening. If it all pans out, this will be their worst snowstorm ever.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-23, 03:29 PM
ToSeek wrote:

Boston is supposed to get snow all day and into the evening. If it all pans out, this will be their worst snowstorm ever.

I don't know about the worst. Blizzard of '78 was pretty bad. Blizzard of '69 was no picnic either. Great for building snow forts though. :D

Quite a ways to go before we beat those storms.

But, this storm is not exactly pleasant by any means.

N C More
2005-Jan-23, 03:30 PM
Well, it appears that I've "won" er..."lost". Here in South Plymouth we have over 2 feet already and about 10 more inches is expected. We're also in a complete white out situation with very high winds. My power has been blinking on and off so this may be the last post I make for a couple of days. It's really bad, the worst I've seen since the blizzard of '78! So, we'll hold the fort and hopefully our area will escape anything too awful.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-23, 03:42 PM
Well, I take that back. I seem to have trouble opening my door to the outside world.

This does not look good.

Wonder if I have enough food to make it till spring comes around.

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-23, 04:25 PM
Well, I take that back. I seem to have trouble opening my door to the outside world.

This does not look good.

Wonder if I have enough food to make it till spring comes around.

My husband went to Donelan's yesterday at 4 to pick up some milk and said there were lines of people stocking up...

So far we have about a foot and a half, some of that is part of the wind-blown drift. At 1 a.m. we had just under a foot that had fallen, then the winds picked up. Just now I'm looking out the window and it's white-out conditions with stuff blowing sideways.

Tuned in to the Weather Channel and it looks like it'll be this way through the day. As long as I can get out to go to Boston tomorrow for my physical, I'm content to stay in today. But tomorrow we'll be shovelin'....

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-23, 04:26 PM
ToSeek wrote:

I don't know about the worst. Blizzard of '78 was pretty bad. Blizzard of '69 was no picnic either. Great for building snow forts though. :D

Quite a ways to go before we beat those storms.

But, this storm is not exactly pleasant by any means.

I lived in Boston's North End for the blizzard of '97 (the April Fool's Day storm). We had several feet there, while just a couple of miles away in the Common it was only a few inches. The North End was completely shut down, as was public transport.

dgruss23
2005-Jan-23, 04:42 PM
The worst part about this is the wind. 20 mph winds and a wind chill of ~ -15F. Not fun.

I can't remember the last time we got 14" of snow with air this cold.

Ut
2005-Jan-23, 05:06 PM
It's so cold, the snow's squeeking today. The cold has been a huge pain lately. I decided last week that I wanted to learn how to skate, and as soon as I did that, bam, cold snap. I'd go to the rink, but I don't feel like getting run over by dozens of people who actually do know how to skate...

Bloody weather.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-23, 06:11 PM
I wonder how this storm will stack up against the Blizzard of '78, the one where Ella Grasso shut down the state of CT for three days.

It was fun skiing around town on roads that were usually packed with cars and trucks.

That was the storm that a few days later caused the collapse of the Hartford Civic Center's roof, a collapse almost as catastrophic as that of the Huskies against Pittsburgh last night.

beskeptical
2005-Jan-23, 06:21 PM
Local weather forecast: (http://www.komotv.com/weather/)
We will continue to feel warm temps with high today creeping near 60 degrees. (Record highs for the second time this month. :D )

N C More
2005-Jan-23, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure but I think the area I'm in (South Plymouth near the Cape Cod bridge) is actually equal to the blizzard of '78 . Right now we have power but I was out for awhile. I guess most of the Cape is without power. The hurricane flags are flying here, indicating winds in excess of 50 miles per hour. The power is on and off and we have about 30+ inches and it's showing no signs of stopping any time soon for Plymouth through Cape Cod.

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-23, 07:01 PM
NC -- it's clearing out. The Sun was out here about an hour ago for 15 seconds. The snow has stopped... so, there's hope.

Stay warm!

Gullible Jones
2005-Jan-23, 07:04 PM
Still coming down here... We've got about a foot of snow and 3-foot snow drifts. :o

Candy
2005-Jan-23, 07:26 PM
UA's meteorologist called this the Alberta Clipper. 8)

Metricyard
2005-Jan-23, 07:37 PM
Pretty much stopped snowing here.

Thank goodness the snow was all nice and fluffy.

Wasn't too bad of a cleanup.

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-23, 07:42 PM

Wanna come over and do ours?

;)

We may wait til tomorrow.

Candy
2005-Jan-23, 07:45 PM

Wanna come over and do ours?

;)

We may wait til tomorrow.
That's why I bought a condo, association fees include snow removal. :D

Kizarvexis
2005-Jan-23, 08:19 PM
Local weather forecast: (http://www.komotv.com/weather/)
We will continue to feel warm temps with high today creeping near 60 degrees. (Record highs for the second time this month. :D )

So Seattle is warmer than Florida. There's something just wrong about that. :)

Kizarvexis

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-23, 09:48 PM
I posted a snow pic on my blog:

http://www.thespacewriter.com/blog.html

we may get more tonight, but it doesn't look likely.

Candy
2005-Jan-23, 10:00 PM
I posted a snow pic on my blog:

http://www.thespacewriter.com/blog.html

we may get more tonight, but it doesn't look likely.
Your house (http://www.thespacewriter.com/2005_01_01_thespacewriter_archive.html) is beautiful. 8)

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-25, 12:03 PM
Although I certainly wasn't expecting it the storm caused my Atlanta-Bermuda flight to be cancelled (gale-force winds in Bermuda) so I had to spend a day in Atlanta. I couldn't believe how cold Atlanta was, 17 degrees F during the night! I was lucky to get a hotel room considering dozens of flights were cancelled that day.

gethen
2005-Jan-25, 02:31 PM
I spent the weekend in Northern Ontario. There was lots of snow on the ground, but no snowstorm. However, on Friday morning at 10:00, the air temperature was -30 F. On Saturday it got all the way up to -5F in the afternoon. Air temperatures, no wind.

Moose
2005-Jan-25, 02:34 PM
Hee hee. Atlantic Canada got half-buried... all except Northern New Brunswick. Here, it was cold, sunny, pretty windy, and the only flake to be seen was me. 8)

Thumper
2005-Jan-25, 03:01 PM
In central Ohio they were predicting a bad winter storm over the weekend. I think we got about 2-3 inches with some blowing problems overnight Saturday. We were out all night keeping the roads clear but it was mainly just a few drifting areas.

Then find out that they closed Columbus Public Schools anyway because it was too cold. Waaa. I think it was 5 when I got up. People around here don't have any idea what real winter weather is like. And I'm the only one who wants it to snow and be cold.

Seriously, I hope no one was injured where you guys are in NE but I am envious for all the snow you got. And I would be happy to plow or shovel for you if I was closer. I love to shovel. (Hey, there's worse sicknesses, right?)

Candy
2005-Jan-25, 03:09 PM
I love to shovel.
I'll say. :wink:

Ut
2005-Jan-25, 03:11 PM
Hee hee. Atlantic Canada got half-buried... all except Northern New Brunswick. Here, it was cold, sunny, pretty windy, and the only flake to be seen was me. 8)

Hah. There was apparently, with drifting, over a metre of snow in my parent's driveway. Am I ever glad to be here, and not there.

cyswxman
2005-Jan-25, 04:48 PM
In the 50s and 60s here. :) 8)
Our second winter gets here March into May, though.

Laser Jock
2005-Jan-25, 04:57 PM

Yup, warm and sunny here in Colorado too. The weather has been beautiful for the last several weeks. We even had our windows open for a couple of days. It's only supposed to get to 57 F today. =D>

N C More
2005-Jan-25, 05:56 PM
Seriously, I hope no one was injured where you guys are in NE but I am envious for all the snow you got. And I would be happy to plow or shovel for you if I was closer. I love to shovel. (Hey, there's worse sicknesses, right?)

One day here with me in South Plymouth and I'd cure you of that! We got 38 inches with that last one and 6 more are predicted for tomorrow. It's really deep in snow and cold here as well (low around 0 and high around 25). I just don't know where we're going to stack any more of it! :o

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-25, 07:36 PM

Yup, warm and sunny here in Colorado too. The weather has been beautiful for the last several weeks. We even had our windows open for a couple of days. It's only supposed to get to 57 F today. =D>

THAT's WHAT I miss about Colorado!

Spacewriter
2005-Jan-25, 07:45 PM

One day here with me in South Plymouth and I'd cure you of that! We got 38 inches with that last one and 6 more are predicted for tomorrow. It's really deep in snow and cold here as well (low around 0 and high around 25). I just don't know where we're going to stack any more of it! :o

I'm astonished at the stories about the folks poisoned by CO when their house vents were buried in snow. very sad.