PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds Set in 1900s Trailer Up

Tuckerfan
2005-Jan-22, 08:27 PM
And we've got tripods! (http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/wotw-videos.htm) The trailer's pretty short and the effects aren't exactly the highest quality, but it still looks pretty danged cool to me.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-22, 08:46 PM
That look really cool. I loved war of the worlds.

Looks like a must see.

Can't wait to see how much Spielberg hacks it up with his version.

tmosher
2005-Jan-22, 08:49 PM
The Spielberg trailer makes it hard to figure out what's up.

Personally, I'll probably see the Pendragon one and not the Spielberg version.

Spielberg's has Tom Cruise and Tim Robbins.

A teaser trailer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407304/trailers) can be accessed through IMDB - links to multiple sites.

Metricyard
2005-Jan-22, 09:19 PM
The Spielberg trailer makes it hard to figure out what's up.

Personally, I'll probably see the Pendragon one and not the Spielberg version.

Spielberg's has Tom Cruise and Tim Robbins.

A teaser trailer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407304/trailers) can be accessed through IMDB - links to multiple sites.

Yah, Speilbergs is kin of cryptic. I guess this has been Cruises dream for some time(making a remake).

Who knows, it might be ok. But I have a feeling it won't be that good. Whenever you hear "most expensive movie to date", usually means lots of money to the actors, tons o' special effects, and a poor to mediocre film.

Guess we'll find out this summer.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Jan-22, 09:39 PM
It was my intention to boycott the Spielberg version, because an updated version of WotW is inexcusable.

However, it has Dakota Fanning in it. And she is adorable. So I will be going to see it.

(Most child actors and actresses are punchable, but if you've seen Dakota Fanning in Friends or Man On Fire you will know what I mean.)

DreadCthulhu
2005-Jan-23, 06:40 PM
Didn't they already do an updated version of War of the Worlds? I think they called it Independance Day.

tmosher
2005-Jan-23, 06:46 PM
Didn't they already do an updated version of War of the Worlds? I think they called it Independance Day.

Yep. You could say that. Basically, the plots of both boil down to:
- aliens invade earth
- mankind's weapons can't touch the aliens
- virus (microbes, whatever) kills aliens.

beskeptical
2005-Jan-23, 07:43 PM
I lost interest with the girl in electric chains in the alien leg cage or what ever that was. [yawn]

mid
2005-Jan-24, 12:13 PM
It was my intention to boycott the Spielberg version, because an updated version of WotW is inexcusable.

Why? I thought like that for a while, but when the book was written, "the last years of the 19th Century" wasn't a period piece.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-24, 12:57 PM
The special effects in the pendragon theatrical trailer are horrific. I'm personally looking forward to the spielberg version, up to date version makes it feel more epic to me than one set in the 19th century.

I can't relate to the 19th century so i couldn't give a damn if someone from the 19th century got blown up, i can relate to now so i can relate to someone from this time getting killed.

Also the tripod things in the pendragon one we couldn't stop with 19th century technology. Too bad we have cruise missiles now and the tripod thing carrying on after being hit with that would make it look powerful to me.

IMHO spielberg would at least do it some justice in the special effects department.

gethen
2005-Jan-24, 03:47 PM
I'm just glad someone is doing a War of the Worlds as a period piece. Updating it doesn't seem right somehow.

Doodler
2005-Jan-24, 04:05 PM
Looks interesting. Just hope it doesn't end up like Sky Captain and The Time Machine.

Period scifi movies are not easy to execute for audiences today. As EMP so colorfully pointed out, relating to the characters is not easy.

Makgraf
2005-Jan-24, 09:38 PM
The special effects in the pendragon theatrical trailer are horrific. I'm personally looking forward to the spielberg version, up to date version makes it feel more epic to me than one set in the 19th century.

I'm just glad someone is doing a War of the Worlds as a period piece. Updating it doesn't seem right somehow.
Fight, fight, fight! :)

I liked the opening from The Mikado, but it kinda went downhill from there.

Swift
2005-Jan-24, 09:50 PM

I liked the opening from The Mikado, but it kinda went downhill from there.
I agree, The Mikado was the best part. =D>

gethen
2005-Jan-24, 11:18 PM

For shame. A mere difference of opinion. And of course, my opinion is the correct one. :wink:

Krel
2005-Jan-25, 01:47 PM
Looks interesting. Just hope it doesn't end up like Sky Captain and The Time Machine.

Oh, come on. "The Time Machine" deserved to die a horrible, agonizing death. Had anyone involved in that movie ever even read the book? You couldn't tell it by what was on the screen.

David.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-25, 01:53 PM
However, it has Dakota Fanning in it.

I think I like this more as a euphemism than as a child actor.

[Finbar Saunders] Fnaar, fnaar. [/Finbar Saunders]

Doubt if I'll pay money to see either version.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Jan-25, 02:00 PM

Why? I thought like that for a while, but when the book was written, "the last years of the 19th Century" wasn't a period piece.

It wasn't a period piece when it was written, but it is very much of its time. The science, the engineering, the political metaphors, the social mores and so on were all of their time.

For example, it was reasonable, pre-1900, to consider that a dying race might be living on Mars, and who might use cylinders shot from cannons to get to Earth.

Perhaps the updated movie will keep this idea in. In which case, it will be disregarding everything we ever learnt about Mars in the past century.

Or perhaps the movie will move the invaders to the planet of some other star, and have the invaders arrive by some other means. In which case, why call it War of the Worlds? What's to distinguish it from the many thousands of books, films, TV serials, comics, computer games and so on that we've had over the years?

The end of the 19th century isn't just the story's setting, it's also its context. Heat rays and giant tripods make sense in this context; they do not make sense in the context of military lasers and helicopters. And if the heatrays and tripods are replaced with something else, again, it stops being WotW.

I would like to see H.G. Wells' novel realised as a movie. Let's have the tripods, the red weed, the desperate crowds fleeing London, the genteel folk strolling to Horsell Common. And that bloke who's escaped from the destruction but he's concerned because he isn't wearing his hat. In other words, let's keep the idea of an alien power stamping its collective foot on the heart of the Victorian-era British Empire.

So that's my answer, mid. In reply, I would like to ask, would you welcome updated versions of, say, Dickens' novels?

Bawheid
2005-Jan-25, 02:02 PM
Happens with Shakespeare all the time.

Disposessed son, with a few friends, in conflict with his mother who sides with his uncle against him for control of the kingdom. Hamlet or series one of the Sopranos? :D

Paul Beardsley
2005-Jan-25, 02:06 PM

Hero: "That Martian tripod has broken its third leg."

Finbar: "Kyak kyak!"

Martian: "Oooh-la!"

Hero: "Look, another cylinder is unscrewing. I do believe its end has dropped off."

Finbar: "Hurk hurk!"

And so on.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Jan-25, 02:10 PM

Disposessed son, with a few friends, in conflict with his mother who sides with his uncle against him for control of the kingdom. Hamlet or series one of the Sopranos? :D

It's not quite the same, though. Shakespeare tended to tap into universal stories that invited reworking (although the more literal updatings tend to be trite beyond belief - the DiCapprio (?) version of Romeo and Juliet being an excellent exception). In other words, they were not of their time in quite the same way.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-25, 02:10 PM

Hero: "That Martian tripod has broken its third leg."

Finbar: "Kyak kyak!"

Martian: "Oooh-la!"

Hero: "Look, another cylinder is unscrewing. I do believe its end has dropped off."

Finbar: "Hurk hurk!"

And so on.

Until warned or banned. =D> =D> =D>

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/478097.stm) Half way down.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-25, 02:16 PM

It's not quite the same, though. Shakespeare tended to tap into universal stories that invited reworking (although the more literal updatings tend to be trite beyond belief - the DiCapprio (?) version of Romeo and Juliet being an excellent exception). In other words, they were not of their time in quite the same way.

True, good point.

Hollywood does beat those themes to death though, a good pubgame is to go through Shakespeares plays looking for diverse remakes. My favourites are Hamlet/Sopranos/Lion King and Romeo & Juliet/West Side Story/dodgy John Travolta and Dolly Parton film whose name escapes me for the moment.

mid
2005-Jan-25, 04:11 PM
It's fair enough, Paul - I see your point about it being more 'of its time' than many other things. Devlin and Emmerich seem to agree with you, too :D

I think I've mentioned it before, but my favorite re-working of War Of The Worlds is series 2 of The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which is indeed set in 1899. Sort of.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Jan-25, 09:28 PM
It's fair enough, Paul - I see your point about it being more 'of its time' than many other things. Devlin and Emmerich seem to agree with you, too

Thanks for that, mid. (And Bawheid for your thoughts too. I hope I don't get a warning for the Finbarisms, BTW - I did choose phrases that I didn't think would cause any offence.)

I think I've mentioned it before, but my favorite re-working of War Of The Worlds is series 2 of The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which is indeed set in 1899. Sort of.

That's still in hardback, isn't it? I bought the first series collected in paperback. I thought it was clever and entertaining in places - I loved the bit where Captain Nemo casually harpoons a bunch of thugs - but all too often it took itself a bit too seriously. Still, I want to see their take on WotW. They're not just doing H.G., are they? Did I spot some C.S. Martians in there too?

And have you read Chris Priest's The Space Machine?

Doodler
2005-Jan-25, 09:53 PM

True, good point.

Hollywood does beat those themes to death though, a good pubgame is to go through Shakespeares plays looking for diverse remakes. My favourites are Hamlet/Sopranos/Lion King and Romeo & Juliet/West Side Story/dodgy John Travolta and Dolly Parton film whose name escapes me for the moment.

Rhinestone Cowboy, I think.

mid
2005-Jan-27, 10:38 AM
I've not read The Space Machine, no - didn't even know it existed. I loved Priest's "The Prestige" though, so I'll have to pick it up at some point.

As for Moore's take on WotW, unsurprisingly he goes as reference-heavy as series 1 did; without spoiling too much, a certain other Wells character becomes particularly brilliantly involved...

Careless
2005-Jan-27, 11:24 PM

Yep. You could say that. Basically, the plots of both boil down to:
- aliens invade earth
- mankind's weapons can't touch the aliens
- virus (microbes, whatever) kills aliens.
Well, change that to "mankind's weapons destroy the aliens" and you may have something. (I know, Independence Day wasn't that memorable, but...)