PDA

View Full Version : Photos of 2015's earlier Lunar eclipse; what in the heck is this??

CelesteOrion
2015-Jul-03, 09:00 PM
No messing around these photos have been perplexing me and anyone else I show them. Google photos made three animations out of them (without my permission, hate that) as a number of the photos were taken in rapid succession. Well...anyone have something to s'plain this one to me??20719207202072120722

ok...the .gif files didn't upload but there is a sample of the photo collection. there's about 30+/- photos.

thanks!
(new 2 all this so forgive my ignorance pls)

slang
2015-Jul-03, 10:05 PM
Hi CelesteOrion, welcome to Cosmoquest!

Explain what, the blue-greenish flare? How did you take these pictures, what kind of camera?

(Now, as moderator: please refrain from using "bad" words, even if they're changed by one letter to make them seem innocuous.)

grapes
2015-Jul-04, 02:30 AM
Yes, ditto welcome!

Where wee they taken, what time, which part of the sky?

DaveC426913
2015-Jul-04, 02:46 AM
What exactly is being asked here?

What are these photos? What does Google have to do with it? What animations?

Trebuchet
2015-Jul-04, 03:35 AM
As to the last question, Google has taken to making little books out of your pictures, whether you want them to or not. I hate it too.

Nowhere Man
2015-Jul-04, 04:56 AM
Dollars to donuts it's a lens flare. Especially in the second picture, it looks like a mirror image of the moon (kind of hard to tell, tho).

Fred

CelesteOrion
2015-Jul-04, 11:59 AM
Hi slang,
yes please--it is blue-grn and seems to be randomly located around the moon. The camera is a canon rebel(t1?) dslr and it was hand-held--pics taken from the South Coast of BC. The selection of pics included in the first post were all during a time with partial cloud cover...there are a number taken after the clouds dispersed that both have and do not have the green flare. I am an avid photographer but it is just a hobby. I always play with light and angles etc but these shots were not for effects, they were to test the night settings that were recommended for a crisp stellar shot from your backyard type photos. Taken many sky shots but never had anything as consistently weird as this. Just wondered if it is common to have colored balls of light that seem to move in successive shots like that.
CelesteOrion

ngc3314
2015-Jul-04, 04:27 PM
Using a Canon Digital Rebel and various zoom lenses, I see lots of reflections of the Moon when I expose for Earthshine or background stars. It's so obvious that I've taken to trying to compose the shot so I can crop out the reflection without losing whatever I was after in the first place. The telltale is that the reflection are situated close to the place which is asymmetrically offset about the optical axis fro the bright light source; green seems to be a common outcome of the antireflection coatings on the lens elements.