PDA

View Full Version : Meridiani sulfide sequence, mudcracks, razorbacks

aldo12xu
2005-Jan-23, 12:23 AM
Hi folks,,

I've posted a little write-up on the possible sulfide mineralization and alteration sequence at Meridiani and described the mudcracks and razorback rock hedges that Opportunity saw last year. I compiled some cool stereo pictures of those features -- especially those of the razorbacks.

Anyways, I don't have a strong chemistry background, so don't hesitate to make any comments regarding the alteration sequence.

Cheers,
Aldo.

Swift
2005-Jan-24, 02:44 PM
aldo12xu,
Another nice job, you pack a lot of stuff in there. I'll have to spend some real time going through all of it. One quick comment... I think you need to be a little careful with calling things "sulfides" and "sulfates". To me, a metal-sulfur compound, like FeS2, is a sulfide, and a metal-sulfur-oxygen compound, like KFe3SO4*2(OH)6, is a sulfate. I'm a chemist, geologists might not talk about things that way. Just my 2 cents. Again, nice work.

synthomus
2005-Jan-24, 03:26 PM
:-({|= Yeah, just wanna say thank you for the music again. As always you put things in a context.

Also this link (http://www.kieserite.com/esta/origin.cfm) you provided in your write-up made me realize what good natural fertilizers Meridiani Planum's Epsom salts actually are. Of course they are good against asthma, cardiac arrhythmia and constipation too. Or just for relaxing in a therapeutic bath.

Swift
2005-Jan-24, 04:21 PM
:-({|= Yeah, just wanna say thank you for the music again. As always you put things in a context.

Also this link (http://www.kieserite.com/esta/origin.cfm) you provided in your write-up made me realize what good natural fertilizers Meridiani Planum's Epsom salts actually are. Of course they are good against asthma, cardiac arrhythmia and constipation too. Or just for relaxing in a therapeutic bath.
my bold
:lol:
So now we know why the Martians built all those canals; it was to supply water for their baths. They must have been the most relaxed race in the universe. :wink:

aldo12xu
2005-Jan-25, 04:31 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, Swift. It's been over 20 years since I opened a chemistry text............and, yeah, it's good know that future Meridiani explorers will have a readily available resource for those therapeutic baths to take the stress out of a hard days work.

Swift
2005-Jan-25, 07:02 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, Swift. It's been over 20 years since I opened a chemistry text............and, yeah, it's good know that future Meridiani explorers will have a readily available resource for those therapeutic baths to take the stress out of a hard days work.
My Ph.D. work was on making metal sulfides with the pyrite (FeS2) structure, so its a topic close to my heart.