PDA

View Full Version : Please list all known fictional characters that fly without aids

Inclusa
2015-Jul-08, 06:15 AM
Ironman doesn't go here; he wears a powered exoskeleton to fly.
Here is characters that can fly without aids.
Superman is the prime example.
Various Dragonball Z characters will qualify (in fact, most of the superhuman characters can fly here.)
Storm in X-Men will qualify.
Shaniu in Magic Mobile Phone Series will qualify, although she isn't human (she is a mobile phone that can turn into the human form) in the first place.
Various mythic characters will qualify as well.

Jens
2015-Jul-08, 06:52 AM
I sometimes wonder where you come up with ideas for your threads. Are you making an encyclopedia or something and you need lists of things?

About the question, I'm not sure, but can Jedi knights do that? If they can levitate things, can they levitate themselves?

Spacedude
2015-Jul-08, 01:05 PM
Supergirl......too easy huh.

Chuck
2015-Jul-08, 01:11 PM
The Human Torch

Chuck
2015-Jul-08, 01:13 PM
If Jedi knights could levitate themselves, would Palpatine have fallen to his death?

danscope
2015-Jul-08, 01:41 PM
Pegasus , Dumbo , Slue foot Sue (Pecos Bill's girlfriend ) , and others.

grant hutchison
2015-Jul-08, 01:48 PM
Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Grant Hutchison

KaiYeves
2015-Jul-08, 02:09 PM
Here's an incomplete list from a Wikipedia user: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jc37/Sandbox/List_of_fictional_characters_who_can_fly

Chuck
2015-Jul-08, 02:30 PM
Captain Nice

John Mendenhall
2015-Jul-08, 02:50 PM
If Jedi knights could levitate themselves, would Palpatine have fallen to his death?

His levitator was broken.

I can think of many additional clever things to say about the above, but I will tactfully avoid the infraction.

Good thread, regards, John M.

PetersCreek
2015-Jul-08, 06:09 PM
Here is characters that can fly without aids.
Superman is the prime example.

Superman uses a big, honkin' yellow Sun as an aid, doesn't he?

Here's my contribution to the list:

Peter Pan
Tinkerbell
Rocky the Squirrel
Underdog
Hancock
Krypto
Neo (but only within the Matrix)
Ralph Hinkley (okay, it was the suit but I just had to mention him)

Noclevername
2015-Jul-08, 06:31 PM
Peter Pan
Tinkerbell

No aid, huh? Clearly you've forgotten the infamous Pixie Dust scandal of 1902. Dusters, both of 'em.

Chuck
2015-Jul-08, 06:42 PM
If a power source like food or fuel disqualifies a character then I can't think of any that can fly unassisted.

PetersCreek
2015-Jul-08, 06:58 PM
No aid, huh? Clearly you've forgotten the infamous Pixie Dust scandal of 1902. Dusters, both of 'em.

I thought Peter flew without it but my memory of the story is admittedly fuzzy. With Tinkerbell, it's innate isn't it? I wouldn't call that an aid...at least not an external aid.

Noclevername
2015-Jul-08, 07:06 PM
Any and all known parodies and homages of Superman.
Captain Marvel.
Martian Manhunter.
Post-Crisis Wonder Woman (pre-Crisis she could only "glide on air currents".)
Dr. Manhattan, and his original inspiration Captain Atom.
Nathan Petrelli of Heroes. And anyone who copied his power.
Jack Kirby's The Eternals.

Solfe
2015-Jul-08, 07:09 PM
Wolverine's stunt of having a powerful friend throw him at things comes to mind. He has a healing factor for the times that plan goes really wrong.

But by that standard, I'm talking about people who can fly AND land successfully. :)

Noclevername
2015-Jul-08, 07:13 PM
Wolverine's stunt of having a powerful friend throw him at things comes to mind.

The Fastball Special!

Chuck
2015-Jul-08, 07:41 PM
Mister Terrific in the old TV series took a pill that gave him super powers for an hour, but after taking it he didn't have any mechanical devices or external power source to help him to fly.

ABR.
2015-Jul-08, 08:40 PM
Arthur Dent, unless the towel disqualifies him.

Delvo
2015-Jul-08, 11:23 PM
My favorite for years has been Magneto. If you thing is making metal move, then wearing strips of metal in your shoes means you can always make the shoes move while you're standing on them. Other strips can be added at belt & shoulder levels for pitch & roll control, particularly if you want to move fast, but he's normally shown standing straight up in the air and not moving really fast, which creates more of an image of casualness and lack of effort, as well as control over not just himself but also his surroundings.

Noclevername
2015-Jul-08, 11:49 PM
My favorite for years has been Magneto. If you thing is making metal move, then wearing strips of metal in your shoes means you can always make the shoes move while you're standing on them. Other strips can be added at belt & shoulder levels for pitch & roll control, particularly if you want to move fast, but he's normally shown standing straight up in the air and not moving really fast, which creates more of an image of casualness and lack of effort, as well as control over not just himself but also his surroundings.

Does that really qualify as unaided though? Without metal and a magnetic field to manipulate, he's grounded.

From the other side of the pond, Zenith (et al) and Miracleman.
Jean Grey and most of her relatives.
Other Marvel: Comet Man, Cannonball, Warpath (sometimes), Firestar, "M", Xorn
The Mighty Heroes (except Tornado Man).
Aang, when he's in the Avatar State.
Nova (all versions)
Jetstream and Will Stronghold, Sky High
Retro Girl and Zora from Powers. In fact Walker got his name because most major Powers can fly one way or another, and he can't.
G-Girl (My Super Ex-Girlfriend)

swampyankee
2015-Jul-09, 01:54 AM

Also, the love of his life, Fenchurch.

Harkening back a bit in literature: Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Noclevername
2015-Jul-09, 02:09 AM
Do wings count as aids?

If not, Angel of the X-Men, the Gargoyles, Hawkgirl in the TV version of Justice League (The comic characters of the Hawk family use artificial wings), and lest we forget, Pygar from Barbarella.

jokergirl
2015-Jul-09, 06:01 PM
Are we now functioning as your google, or as your wikipedia?...

Chuck
2015-Jul-09, 07:24 PM
Lucy Lawless, in an episode of The Simpsons.

Inclusa
2015-Jul-10, 04:30 AM
Are we now functioning as your google, or as your wikipedia?...

By the way, I always use duckduckgo.
My experience though: A few other websites do tracking beside Google.
Let me name a few: Baidu, xiami, youtube, etc.

Swift
2015-Jul-10, 05:03 PM
Arthur Dent didn't fly. He just threw himself at the gound and missed. :D

Buttercup
2015-Jul-10, 05:21 PM
The Flying Nun. But then I guess it was her headgear that helped?

SkepticJ
2015-Jul-10, 07:21 PM
What about artificial sentient entities that can fly? Such as the aliens in Batteries Not Included, Dr. Caroll in Perfect Dark, and Weebo in Flubber.

malaidas
2015-Jul-10, 10:11 PM
Archemedes the highly educated owl.

malaidas
2015-Jul-10, 10:12 PM
Arthur Dent didn't fly. He just threw himself at the gound and missed. :D

Seems like a reasonable definition of flight to me :D