PDA

View Full Version : Found something on Mercury

fltazar
2015-Jul-13, 02:18 AM

John Mendenhall
2015-Jul-14, 08:43 PM
Nice. Your find circles for the craters or somebody else? If others, it should be documented somewhere already.

fltazar
2015-Jul-15, 02:00 AM
John, that's not what I said. If you look close to the picture toward the bottom right corner you will see 2 orange markers. That's what I'm talking about. I know what Craters look like. Maybe if I crop the picture and just show the area I'm talking about, you wouldn't be so harsh on me. Don't worry I'm not sensitive.

fltazar
2015-Jul-15, 02:11 AM
Okay John I have added a cropped version of the picture I had up. Now you can see the Orange markers and if you follow them to the point you will see white objects that aren't Craters. I don't know what they are. I won't guess.

Rocky1775
2015-Oct-18, 05:39 AM
My first thought was that they are boulders, but the left one has too much length for that. It could be grit on the lens. That could be checked buy looking for the same two spots in the same part of another image. If its not that, I don't know what they are, which means that they must be the remains of an alien landing craft. (Not.)

astrostu
2015-Oct-27, 08:57 PM
I think what you found are some cosmic rays (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray) that were not removed in the automatic image processing scripts.

John Mendenhall
2015-Oct-28, 12:34 AM
John, that's not what I said. If you look close to the picture toward the bottom right corner you will see 2 orange markers. That's what I'm talking about. I know what Craters look like. Maybe if I crop the picture and just show the area I'm talking about, you wouldn't be so harsh on me. Don't worry I'm not sensitive.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. I thought you were refering to the funny white stuff in the first picture. Some one already noted the craters, so they should be documented. Your catch, which is compledtly different, is proably cosmic rays. But someone with better access than you and me will have to check. Good find, regardless,

DaveC426913
2015-Oct-30, 03:38 AM
Hate to disappoint. Those are imaging artifacts.

adamst
2016-Sep-23, 06:23 AM
Thanks for sharing..........

noodleepee
2017-Mar-01, 03:47 AM
Well, nobody knows really about the objects in the pictures unless a further study will be conducted by an expert.

Tee
2017-Apr-12, 05:14 AM
So are they image artefacts or cosmic rays? What's the general consensus?

selden
2017-Jul-24, 07:54 PM
Exactly what is the source for the image you've posted?

Swift
2017-Jul-24, 08:02 PM
Exactly what is the source for the image you've posted?
If you are asking the OP, I doubt you will get an answer, since they posted two years ago. I suspect the image is from one of the citizen science programs and is probably from Messenger, but I don't know for sure.

John Mendenhall
2017-Jul-25, 03:22 AM
If you are asking the OP, I doubt you will get an answer, since they posted two years ago. I suspect the image is from one of the citizen science programs and is probably from Messenger, but I don't know for sure.

Hey, I got to fix a two-year old typo. I'm happy. :doh: