PDA

View Full Version : What will you be doing on Nov 23rd 2019?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-13, 01:16 PM
What will you be doing on Nov 23rd 2019? Perhaps having a Blade Runner party? It's funny how life imitates Seinfeld...remember the millenium party episode? Well...long story short...people are planning like it's 2019! I accidentally found a Blade Runner party page on FB. Okaay. Heck, I might plan one for my little town.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-13, 01:16 PM
Bring your precious photos....

Buttercup
2015-Jul-13, 01:21 PM
If I'm still alive (*should* be!), will definitely mark the date. Throwing a party would be cool, but unfortunately people in this area aren't sociable. It's going to be strange AFTER the date, seeing that date as "in the past now" when watching the film again. Like year 2000...

Swift
2015-Jul-13, 01:21 PM
I suppose I'm supposed to know what is supposed to happen on 23 Nov. 2019, and it has something to do with Blade Runner, but I don't know what that might be.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-13, 01:30 PM
I suppose I'm supposed to know what is supposed to happen on 23 Nov. 2019, and it has something to do with Blade Runner, but I don't know what that might be.

The opening scene...starts with that date on the screen think...Los Angeles Nov. 23, 2019...I always thought it was just...Los Angeles, 2019. I'm sure some fan figured it out from a screen cap.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-13, 01:34 PM
If I'm still alive (*should* be!), will definitely mark the date. Throwing a party would be cool, but unfortunately people in this area aren't sociable. It's going to be strange AFTER the date, seeing that date as "in the past now" when watching the film again. Like year 2000...

Get your Pepsi Perfect! What movie? Hint: "where were going; we don't need any roads". Not sure if that date has passed yet...actually I think it's in October.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-13, 01:35 PM
The future passed...and no one noticed?

Buttercup
2015-Jul-13, 01:36 PM
Visiting LA itself would be cool, but I have *zero* intentions of going anywhere near that place. :hand: It'd have been dangerous enough to visit shortly after film's release.

Need to dust off my DVD and watch again soon. :)

SeanF
2015-Jul-13, 01:38 PM
Get your Pepsi Perfect! What movie? Hint: "where were going; we don't need any roads". Not sure if that date has passed yet...actually I think it's in October.
October. Three months away. I don't know about you, but I'm planning on putting on my auto-sizing, self-drying clothes and taking my hoverboard out for a spin.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-13, 01:54 PM
Things that I do or did because of Blade Runner

I collect precious photos...vintage bw ones...have maybe 100 plus
Bought a unicorn calander and ornament...still have the ornament in a box somewhere
Became a bigger PK Dick fan
Bought books that had won the Philip K. Dick award
Bought the "sequel" books by KW Jeter (one of which was ok'ish)
Came to appreciate dystopian "beauty"...noir

To do : learn origami

And I think someone must sell costumes somewhere....want Roy's coat...not willing to fight him for it

DonM435
2015-Jul-13, 03:21 PM
I remember watching The Time Machine (1960) in 1966 and noting that we'd missed the World War III depicted therein. And, of course, seeing 1984 in 1984.

DukePaul
2015-Jul-13, 10:30 PM
The movies were ever so optimistic in their view of human advancement in the near future. In the original Planet of the Apes we were sending Mr. Heston and crew to another star system six years after a manned Moon landing. In Blade Runner we had androids colonizing and fighting far from Earth. The Tim Burton 2001 version of Planet of the Apes we had a big enough space budget to set up a pet motel near Saturn and we know that is a high priority mission for the advancement space travel. Tim Roth was great in that movie but the movie was not. According to the movies we should be wearing silver capes, metal pants and have a number attached to our name in this futuristic world of 2015. Or at least we all should be eating Soylent Green.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-13, 10:54 PM
The movies were ever so optimistic in their view of human advancement in the near future. In the original Planet of the Apes we were sending Mr. Heston and crew to another star system six years after a manned Moon landing. In Blade Runner we had androids colonizing and fighting far from Earth. The Tim Burton 2001 version of Planet of the Apes we had a big enough space budget to set up a pet motel near Saturn and we know that is a high priority mission for the advancement space travel. Tim Roth was great in that movie but the movie was not. According to the movies we should be wearing silver capes, metal pants and have a number attached to our name in this futuristic world of 2015. Or at least we all should be eating Soylent Green.

I think the future is just slow in getting here. It will...eventually.

Jens
2015-Jul-13, 11:04 PM
Yes, and the pessimistic ones tend to be overly pessimistic as well, for instance 1984.

Solfe
2015-Jul-14, 02:13 AM
If I can find Tyrell, I will be celebrating a classic movie. If I can't find Tyrell, I won't be doing much of anything.

Van Rijn
2015-Jul-14, 04:13 AM
I remember watching The Time Machine (1960) in 1966 and noting that we'd missed the World War III depicted therein. And, of course, seeing 1984 in 1984.

I don't think I was paying much attention to the dates in The Time Machine, but I do remember looking at the 1975 calendar from The Omega Man after 1975 (in the movie, there would be no 1976 calendars).

SkepticJ
2015-Jul-14, 08:23 PM

Humans nuked civilization away in Planet of the Apes, so . . .

I wouldn't call Blade Runner an optimistic vision of human advancement. Replicants aren't androids, they're biological. They're sentient. They're slaves. Woohoo, bring on Slavery 2.0!

Eating food made from reprocessed, murdered people is advancement?

DukePaul
2015-Jul-14, 09:10 PM
Humans nuked civilization away in Planet of the Apes, so . . .

I wouldn't call Blade Runner an optimistic vision of human advancement. Replicants aren't androids, they're biological. They're sentient. They're slaves. Woohoo, bring on Slavery 2.0!

Eating food made from reprocessed, murdered people is advancement? You completely missed my point.

Noclevername
2015-Jul-14, 09:21 PM
You completely missed my point.

What is it then?

DukePaul
2015-Jul-14, 10:14 PM
Point one: I was being sarcastic.

Point two: On your view about androids, you are wrong. Androids can be biological constructs. Blade Runner is based on Philip K. Dick's story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and the word replicant is not used in it.

Point three: I was being sarcastic. Plus all dead were made into yummy Soylent Green not just the murdered ones.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-14, 10:49 PM
"Soylent green is crackers man!"...

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-14, 10:57 PM
That scene kinda left me going hunh? The big assembly line is spitting out crackers...was that some kind of statement? Like zombies flocking to a shopping mall?

I have a theory on the zombie fad btw...I think zombies and the fad represent bad human or inhumane behavior taken to the nth degree. Humans becoming less human and more monster...just a newer slant on the Jekyll/Hyde theme. Hatred as a virus if you will.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-14, 11:00 PM
I think I should change my handle to Ed_it.

SkepticJ
2015-Jul-14, 11:30 PM
Point one: I was being sarcastic.

Point of advice for the future: if you want people to get that you're being sarcastic, you shouldn't mix good things in with the bad. Since text lacks voice inflection, to be really safe one could use smilies; that's what they exist for.

point two: On your view about androids, you are wrong. Androids can be biological constructs. Blade Runner is based on Philip K. Dick's story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and the word replicant is not used in it.

True, but unless one qualifies that they're talking about biological androids, they're going to confuse a lot of people who will imagine beings like Data. You and I are strictly-speaking machines, but if you say the word machine, most people will think of things made of metal, plastic, and suchlike, not living things.

malaidas
2015-Jul-17, 01:09 PM
Living hopefully, sleeping for some of it I guess.

Moose
2015-Jul-17, 02:25 PM
I suppose, assuming I remember to, I may wind up interrogating myself to make sure I'm not a replicant.

Noclevername
2015-Jul-17, 02:27 PM
I am a replicant, so I'll be running. I won't tell you where.

malaidas
2015-Jul-17, 03:04 PM
Arghhh replicants.

The Backroad Astronomer
2015-Jul-17, 03:36 PM
dreaming of electronic sheep.

arakish
2015-Jul-17, 04:10 PM
Me? Probably nothing.

But who knows how me mind works. It may remember it is "Blade Runner" day and have me throw a Blade Runner party.

rmfr

swampyankee
2015-Jul-17, 04:13 PM
November 23, 2019?

You've got to be kidding. I don't plan my social calendar farther out than next Tuesday.

And it tends to be empty.