PDA

View Full Version : Moon Conjuncts Venus - July 18

Centaur
2015-Jul-18, 05:53 PM
The young crescent Moon will appear near crescent Venus this evening (July 18) in the western sky after sunset. Jupiter and Regulus will appear in the vicinity. It should be a pretty sight. The Moon will have aged three days, when it is known as Diana’s Bow in reference to the archery equipment of the ancient Roman Goddess of Hunting and the Moon.

For my preview graphic of tonight’s show and a panorama of all of this year’s Diana’s Bows, visit my Moon webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

Photos and descriptions of the Moon in conjunction with Venus would be welcome additions to this thread.

Nowhere Man
2015-Jul-20, 07:16 PM
Spotted it by pure happenstance and got a shot. Not to bad for a point-and-shoot, steadied by using a friend as a bipod.

Location was about two miles west of Eagle Harbor, MI (roughly 47.4388339,-88.1965786), time was 9:49 EDT. The clouds you see obscured the sight in short order, although we did get another glimpse just before the moon set.

Full photo, reduced size

Zoom in, full size

Fred

Centaur
2015-Jul-20, 08:21 PM
Spotted it by pure happenstance and got a shot. Not to bad for a point-and-shoot, steadied by using a friend as a bipod.

Location was about two miles west of Eagle Harbor, MI (roughly 47.4388339,-88.1965786), time was 9:49 EDT. The clouds you see obscured the sight in short order, although we did get another glimpse just before the moon set.

Fred

Nice shot, Fred. The clouds certainly enhance the composition. Thanks for sharing. But next time please try to be more precise about your location than simply the nearest centimeter. ;)

Nowhere Man
2015-Jul-20, 09:09 PM
Google only gives it down to the most-zoomed-in pixel. It's approximate anyway, I'm pretty sure I was actually about 10 feet to the left.

Fred