PDA

View Full Version : LHC-CERN: KK particles detection ?... Evidence of other dimensions ?

dapifo
2015-Jul-19, 11:06 AM
During recent experiments at the LHC-CERN, .... Have been detected KK particles that can demonstrate the existence of other dimensions?... As Lisa Randall forecast in his 2005 book (Warped passages ...).

Is there already rejected the detection?... And therefore the extra dimensions ?, ... Or are they still pending for detection experiments? ... To higher energies? ... When?

antoniseb
2015-Jul-19, 11:23 AM
CERN only re-opened after the upgrade recently, and it is a little too early to expect any announcements (yes the pentaquark story came out recently). I think there would be a LOT of buzz and rumor if any Kaluza-Klein particles were thought to have been observed, and there is no such buzz. It is also worth noting that even IF there are higher dimension in the nature required for KK particles, there is no certainty as to the range of mass such particles would have. They could well be above the 14 TeV that is the LHCs upper limit.

Jens
2015-Jul-19, 01:50 PM
During recent experiments at the LHC-CERN, .... Have been detected KK particles that can demonstrate the existence of other dimensions?... As Lisa Randall forecast in his 2005 book (Warped passages ...).

Just a nitpick, but I think that it should be "her book." I realize English isn't your first language, so I'm not saying it in a critical way. I just mentioned it because non-native speakers often have problems judging a person's gender from the name. Lisa Randall is a woman.

trinitree88
2015-Jul-19, 02:53 PM
Just a nitpick, but I think that it should be "her book." I realize English isn't your first language, so I'm not saying it in a critical way. I just mentioned it because non-native speakers often have problems judging a person's gender from the name. Lisa Randall is a woman.

Jens. Yep. Made MIT look good...see:
http://www.heikegani.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Lisa-Randall.jpg

dapifo
2015-Jul-22, 11:14 PM
Thanks for your sex lessons !

Any other comment on my physic question?...

dapifo
2015-Jul-22, 11:17 PM
CERN only re-opened after the upgrade recently, and it is a little too early to expect any announcements (yes the pentaquark story came out recently). I think there would be a LOT of buzz and rumor if any Kaluza-Klein particles were thought to have been observed, and there is no such buzz. It is also worth noting that even IF there are higher dimension in the nature required for KK particles, there is no certainty as to the range of mass such particles would have. They could well be above the 14 TeV that is the LHCs upper limit.

Ok thanks !

So no news concerning KK and also no news concerning super-symmetry !... No good news !

Only Higgs particle has been successful !

Do you know if we are waiting for more interesting results on other important issues ?

Jens
2015-Jul-23, 02:29 AM
CERN only re-opened after the upgrade recently, and it is a little too early to expect any announcements (yes the pentaquark story came out recently).

IIRC, though, the study on the pentaquarks was based on data obtained before the upgrade.

Cougar
2015-Jul-23, 02:06 PM
Is there already rejected the detection?... And therefore the extra dimensions ?

Sometimes certain ideas can be ruled out. But in general, simply not finding something doesn't necessarily mean it's not there.