PDA

View Full Version : The book Chung Kuo

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-20, 09:30 AM
I was thinking of buying a copy of Chung Kuo. I've noticed that it is rather large and my attention span is rather small. I have read that it is a classic of sorts. Should I buy at least the first in the series (used maybe)?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-20, 09:41 AM
Shoot....should have put this in Small Media...sorry

Swift
2015-Jul-20, 12:25 PM
Shoot....should have put this in Small Media...sorry
You can always Report your own post and ask it to be moved, rather than the chance that a moderator will see your post.

Moved from OTB to SMAL by request of the OP

tusenfem
2015-Jul-20, 01:03 PM
The Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove are great!
I was immediately captivated by the first time it was released (7 books but should have been 8), but yes you have to have some stamina, when the books continue the list of characters (alive and dead) fill several pages.

Books 1 and 2 of the new version of the series are prequels of the old series and might not appeal to everyone.
You could try to get a 2nd hand of the first old series book and give it a try.

redshifter
2015-Jul-21, 07:54 PM
I second the Chung Kuo recommendation! This is the best series SF I've ever read. Extraordinary depth, detail, and characters. I read books 1 - 7, but have not read book 8. I also did not know there were prequel versions out either. Book 1 of the series is called 'Chung Kou, The Middle Kingdom'.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Jul-21, 07:59 PM
I guess my best bet is buying the earlier printings...Kxxdle isn't much help.

tusenfem
2015-Jul-22, 05:27 PM
I second the Chung Kuo recommendation! This is the best series SF I've ever read. Extraordinary depth, detail, and characters. I read books 1 - 7, but have not read book 8. I also did not know there were prequel versions out either. Book 1 of the series is called 'Chung Kou, The Middle Kingdom'.

in the first series thete should have been an 8th book, but the publishing company wanted wingrove to wrap it up with book 7.

the new series begins with two prequels, an then basically each old book is turned into two books with slight changes and additions.

read all about it on ofgiftsandstones.com

also the "roads to moscow" series is very interesting

grant hutchison
2015-Jul-22, 06:29 PM
in the first series thete should have been an 8th book, but the publishing company wanted wingrove to wrap it up with book 7.The ever-reliable Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chung_Kuo_%28novel_series%29) lists eight novels in the original series:

The Middle Kingdom (1989)
The Broken Wheel (1990)
The White Mountain (1992)
The Stone Within (1993)
Beneath the Tree of Heaven (1994)
White Moon, Red Dragon (1994)
Days of Bitter Strength (1997)
The Marriage of the Living Dark (1999)

It claims Wingrove planned three trilogies, but was forced to wrap up in book eight.
Whereas this reviewer (http://ijparnham.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/worst-ever-ending-to-novel-marriage-of.html) claims Wingrove planned seven, but the publisher wanted eight.

Grant Hutchison

tusenfem
2015-Jul-23, 06:40 AM
Oops, I guess I lost one book there :-) my bad!
I could just have looked on my bookshelves
tnx grant

BigDon
2015-Jul-24, 05:56 PM
Is this like the "Wheel of Time" series, where it actually takes a full spin of the reincarnation cycle to finish the whole thing?