PDA

View Full Version : Free Website Hosting

RealBoatsRock
2005-Jan-24, 11:12 PM
Hello All,

I've recently resurrected a website that I made a few months ago, and I'm looking for a good free web server to host it. I accept the fact that it's going to have to be a sub domain, but I don't really want banner ads on my page ... I can handle pop-ups, though. :-? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh

Nicolas
2005-Jan-24, 11:33 PM
Angelfire has 20 MB free, but gives you a small tsunami of banners...

RealBoatsRock
2005-Jan-25, 12:52 AM
Yeah, Angelfire was what I initially had, actually. But the banner ads that they threw in completely messed up the style of my website. They were a good service, though. Any other ideas?

Nicolas
2005-Jan-25, 01:06 AM
No :)

As I totally am not into html I used Angelfire because of their automatic webbuilder (in fact I just needed webspace, not a site). Next year when I have time, my s.o. (who does know raw html) will help me making a website which will be hosted by our web service provider. Check yours, you might have webspace from him as well.

RealBoatsRock
2005-Jan-25, 01:09 AM
Thanks, Nicolas, I'll check that out.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-25, 01:15 AM
I get something like 15 MB by my provider (which, when I think about it, will be hardly enough for the files I wat to host there...). I have no idea about which amount of bandwidth I get. Of course it is a user@provider URL, but no banners or anything. It depends on your provider of course.
Most providers do not allow "certain types" of sites :)

LunarOrbit
2005-Jan-25, 01:24 AM
I'm not aware of any free hosts that don't put ads on your site, but I can recommend a very cheap host that does not place ads and you'll even have a unique domain name that you can choose.

Dot Easy (http://www.doteasy.com/Services/WebHosting/Zero/) has a plan that will give you 100mb's of webspace and 1gb of bandwidth per month. The only expense is the domain registration, which only costs $18/year.

The only limitation that I don't like is that you can't use server-side scripts (CGI, Perl, PHP, etc.) unless you pay extra. But if you're used to Angelfire then you probably don't care about that.

I was using Dot Easy for my site a couple years ago... the only reason I left them was because I outgrew the 20mb's of webspace they offered at the time.

RealBoatsRock
2005-Jan-25, 01:29 AM
That one sounds pretty good Lunar, I think I may have to resign myself to the fact that payment is almost necessary for a good website hosting package.

mickal555
2005-Jan-25, 01:32 AM
I use my isp's severce they give me 10mb and it seems to have
unlimeted bandwidth? When my site is ALOT better and has some meat, I might go to ifrogge douse anyone have any opinions on this hoster?

frogesque
2005-Jan-25, 01:51 AM
I think it's worth the cost of a hassle free, ad free personal domain. Free sites can be abysmal with foisted spyware, pop-ups and restricted bandwith.

Supanames (http://www.supanames.co.uk/) offer a basic hosting service for 13.99/year with free .co.uk domain name, POP3 mail and 1G space. (No connection other than a happy camper with them) I'm sure you can get US hosting that's similar for around $20-$25/year. (The only downside is you usually to have to pay for the first two years when you enroll)

As has been pointed out a lot of domains do restrict for content (no .exe files or anything illegal or offensive etc.)

If later on you decide you want more space you can always upgrade your package without having to change the site name which the so called 'free' sites don't normally entertain unless you pay.

RealBoatsRock
2005-Jan-25, 01:56 AM
That sounds pretty good, also. And about twenty US a year, is perfectly reasonable, I think. Unfortunately, I don't think my ISP, MSN, offers any webspace. And the content restrictions don't bother me for hosting packages. I can compress my executables from my programs into .zip or .rar files for download, right?

frogesque
2005-Jan-25, 03:20 AM
I've just checked the site link I gave and the basic package offered is for 35Mb not 1Gb as I thought.

Also from their terms and conditions

On the Value Host & Value Host PRO packages the hosting of . exe, .cmd, .bat, .mov, .avi, .mp3, .mpeg, .mpg, .wav, .rm, .ram, .rmx, .asf, .wmf, .wmv, .wmp, and .wma files is not permitted in any shape or form. Any account found to be hosting these files types will either be asked to upgrade to our Premier Host account (which allows the hosting of such files) or, alternatively, will be suspended without prior warning.

We do not currently accept the incoming transfer (including domain or otherwise) of any existing website using more than 500mb data transfer per month.

On the Value Host & Value Host PRO packages the hosting of compressed files, over 1mb size, which includes but is not limited to: rar, .ace, .lzh, .zip, and .arj is not permitted. Any account found to be hosting these files types will either be asked to upgrade to our Premier Host account (which allows the hosting of such files) or, alternatively, will be suspended without prior warning.

From memory those restrictions were fairly typical for basic hosting.

Looks as if you could get away with compressed files under 1mb. Depending on what you want to do you'd be best to dig around and find a host and package that will cover your needs. These things have a habit of growing!