PDA

View Full Version : sweet 16. what did you do?

star girl
2005-Jan-25, 03:42 AM
Two days ago was my 16th. I stayed at home and watched The forgotten with brother and sister in-law. What did you do?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-25, 03:44 AM
Nothing at all. It was wonderful. :)

Chuck
2005-Jan-25, 03:45 AM
Let's see, September 5, 1967. Sorry, I have no idea.

Ut
2005-Jan-25, 03:48 AM
Homework? Yeah, probably homework.

tmosher
2005-Jan-25, 03:50 AM
I can't remember that far back.

jrkeller
2005-Jan-25, 03:53 AM
Went bowling with my two closest friends.

My mother had to drive us, since my driver's liscense was still several months away.

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-25, 03:55 AM

Me neither.

Happy Belated Birthday Star Girl.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-25, 03:55 AM
Climbed the second highest peak in the Catskills: Hunter Mountain.

tmosher
2005-Jan-25, 03:56 AM
Can't remember....my brain cells don't store information from that far back.

Either way, when I was 16 in Tulsa, Oklahoma there was nothing to do worth remembering (mid 1970's).

space cadet
2005-Jan-25, 04:01 AM
happy birthday little sis!

I could use this opportunity to embarrass you more but I'll cut you a break, seeing as how it was your birthday and all and I still haven't got you a present.

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jan-25, 04:29 AM
August 1968...hmmm...most likely getting ready for band camp...

...by the way...

...happy birthday toooooo youuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Andromeda321
2005-Jan-25, 04:32 AM
Yay for January b-days! I turned 19 yesterday, I feel old... :o
The most exciting event on my sweet 16 was I got permission to go to my first astronomy camp from my parents, which was exceedingly exciting. That weekend, however, my brother, sister, and I had a huge joint party (my brother is my twin and my sister's b-day is the 26th, she turned eighteen) which was really awesome and a lot of fun! We even had a decent DJ... 8)

star girl
2005-Jan-25, 04:33 AM
Thanks guys. And thank you, Space Cadet, for sparing me. Wait a minute, shouldn't you be at work? Tsk tsk tsk. [-X

tmosher
2005-Jan-25, 04:35 AM
Happy Birthday Star girl and Andromeda

You two are making me feel older than I am (46 last Christmas Eve).

Tom

sarongsong
2005-Jan-25, 05:07 AM
Happy new YEAR, sg!
Got my driver's license on mine.
In view of most answers here, you might consider start keeping a journal :D

Reacher
2005-Jan-25, 06:09 AM
The only thing I remember from my 16th is that I turned One up so loud that my neighbours across the road complained.

Oh, and happy birthday! How stupid of me to forget to add that! #-o

Maksutov
2005-Jan-25, 06:10 AM
Happy Birthday to star girl and Andromeda321!

A four-square birthday for star girl. :D

As for Andromeda321, well, she has 364 days left until she can start talking about all those silly teenagers! :wink:

lyford
2005-Jan-25, 08:11 AM
You're supposed to do something for your 16th birthday? #-o

I guess for men-folk the 21st is the defining one, unless the draft is possible and then 18 is pretty big. Yikes! Let's see, the Govt. says I can kill a guy, but I can't drink a beer. What a country!

Quincinera, anyone?

Oh and happy birthday! You obviously have the good taste to hang around this board. =D>

Mistermystery
2005-Jan-25, 08:21 AM
Two days ago was my 16th. I stayed at home and watched The forgotten with brother and sister in-law. What did you do?Posted on the internet about it?

Candy
2005-Jan-25, 08:46 AM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-049.gif

Happy Birthday, young ladies!

Enzp
2005-Jan-25, 08:52 AM
Geez, it was pre Beatles anyway. That I can recal even that is amazing.

But I can tell you one thing, whatever it was, we had to walk uphill to it both ways, and barefoot through the snow to get there. It snowed all the time then and we just had to tough it out.

AstroSmurf
2005-Jan-25, 09:39 AM
My 16th? Lessee, that must have been 1990 or thereabouts. At a guess, I was at a Boy Scout camp (don't laugh) - they're usually around that time of year.

Grattis i efterskott, as we say here.

mickal555
2005-Jan-25, 10:10 AM
sorry I can't remember that far forward into the future (2 years)

captain swoop
2005-Jan-25, 11:40 AM
Lets see, October 78. Well, I went to Philmores Nightclub with some of my mates and got 'Ratted' :D

Nicolas
2005-Jan-25, 12:02 PM
I can't really remember. Nothing special I guess. But becoming 16 doesn't really mean that much here. You can go to some movies (...) but if that is an argument then 18 is better (.......). I don't really know which "privileges" you get here when becoming 16. You can buy cigarettes and alcohol I guess (that's 5 years earlier!). Anyway you need to be 18 for a driver's license and a gun ("yeey I'm 18! Declared grown up! Now I can arm myself!" :roll: :roll: [-( )

mickal555
2005-Jan-25, 12:04 PM
I can't really remember. Nothing special I guess. But becoming 16 doesn't really mean that much here. You can go to some movies (...) but if that is an argument then 18 is better (.......). I don't really know which "privileges" you get here when becoming 16. You can buy cigarettes and alcohol I guess (that's 5 years earlier!). Anyway you need to be 18 for a driver's license and a gun ("yeey I'm 18! Declared grown up! Now I can arm myself!" :roll: :roll: [-( )
at 16 you can (leagally at least) ya' know....

Nicolas
2005-Jan-25, 12:14 PM
That's 15 IIRC here, but it depends on the age of the other one. Anyway I'm not someone who was looking forward at those milestones from years ahead, just to be allowed to do all these things: I don't smoke, I could go to a pub when accompanied by someone older and get alcohol if I wanted already before becoming 16, and on public parties even without someone older (don't ask me how legally that is, but it is common practice, even when police is present), I only got my driver's license last week, and I was single when I was 15 (or 16, or 17...:))...

Anyway what does age matter, she says I'm like a 3 year old :D If she continues to say that, it would mean she already knew me before I was born :D

mickal555
2005-Jan-25, 12:21 PM
wow 15... cool

R.A.F.
2005-Jan-25, 12:27 PM
Hmmm...November 1st, 1970. I got my drivers license, and drove down to the beach. I thought that was pretty special...until I read this...

Climbed the second highest peak in the Catskills: Hunter Mountain.

...now it doesn't seem like such a big deal. :)

Congrats to the b-day girls!! =D> =D> =D>

Argos
2005-Jan-25, 12:53 PM
What 1) I was doing two days ago or 2) when I turned 16? The answer to 1): reading the papers all day long, laying on the sofa (with a terrible headache from saturday´s beers). Answer to 2): I can´t really remember.

Btw, congratulations. May you live a hundred years. :wink:

Captain Kidd
2005-Jan-25, 12:57 PM
Yay for January b-days! I turned 19 yesterday, I feel old... :oJust wait, it gets worse. :wink:

Happies birthsdays!

mickal555
2005-Jan-25, 12:59 PM
or indeed a thousand years

pumpkinpie
2005-Jan-25, 01:37 PM

:lol: Funny!

Let's see. My 16th birthday--in July of '92--was my very last day of driver's training. I did my last road test of the class then went off to the Secretary of State to apply for my license. I was so upset that I had to wait 30 days after I turned 16 to graduate from the learner's permit to a full license. (I guess it was better than those in the class who had turned 16 months earlier and still had to wait!) But these days doesn't everyone have some sort of restricted license for months before they have full, alone driving privledges?
I have no idea what I did for the rest of the day. Oh wait, now I remember. I'm sure I went to a Tigers game, and I think that was the one where I saw a triple play. :D

Krevel
2005-Jan-25, 01:51 PM
Happy birthday, sweet sixteen!

While I don't really remember, I'm pretty sure that I dragged one of my folks to the dmv so that I could get my license RIGHT AWAY!

Kebsis
2005-Jan-25, 01:53 PM

Let's see. My 16th birthday--in July of '92--was my very last day of driver's training. I did my last road test of the class then went off to the Secretary of State to apply for my license. I was so upset that I had to wait 30 days after I turned 16 to graduate from the learner's permit to a full license. (I guess it was better than those in the class who had turned 16 months earlier and still had to wait!) But these days doesn't everyone have some sort of restricted license for months before they have full, alone driving privledges?
I have no idea what I did for the rest of the day. Oh wait, now I remember. I'm sure I went to a Tigers game, and I think that was the one where I saw a triple play. :D

You're 29? You look alot younger in your picture.

Candy
2005-Jan-25, 01:58 PM
While I don't really remember, I'm pretty sure that I dragged one of my folks to the dmv so that I could get my license RIGHT AWAY!
In Indiana, we had to wait so many days after our 16th birthday before getting our license, and that was even if you took the drivers educaton class (all summer long). :evil:

Kebsis
2005-Jan-25, 02:15 PM
In New Jersey, the age used to be 17 to get a lisense but was upped to 18 a few years back. I was one of the last people to get a full lisense at 17. Of course, considering that the NJ Turnpike looks more like Laguna Seca than a highway, I guess that's a good thing.

edit: Funny, in this thread about drivers lisenses and birthdays, I'm getting a bunch of ads for 'do you believe in aliens?' below.

Candy
2005-Jan-25, 02:29 PM
We share a birthday, Chuck. 8)

HAPPY BE-LATED BIRTHDAY, Argos!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-050.gif

N C More
2005-Jan-25, 03:19 PM
Wow, that was a long time ago for me. Let's see, Oct. 27, 1967. Not sure about the exact day but I did have to dress up and get paraded around my parent's country club during the fall "coming out party". Pretty much was horrendous and if you're wondering what it was like I'll refer you to the movie "Dirty Dancing" and the resort where it takes place.

Swift
2005-Jan-25, 05:22 PM

Tom
Yes, happy b-day Star Girl, Andromeda and tmosher. tmosher, you and I share the exact same BIRTHdate. I also turned 46 this past 12/24! :o :D =D>

tmosher
2005-Jan-25, 05:48 PM

Tom
Yes, happy b-day Star Girl, Andromeda and tmosher. tmosher, you and I share the exact same BIRTHdate. I also turned 46 this past 12/24! :o :D =D>

Ok, that now makes two people I know, besides myself, who were born on 12/24. Sort of sucky having your birthday on Christmas Eve.

Doodler
2005-Jan-25, 06:22 PM
Hmm...

I turned 16 in a psychiatric ward. Very long story there. Needless to say, my teens weren't my best years.

pghnative
2005-Jan-25, 06:31 PM
That weekend, however, my brother, sister, and I had a huge joint party

Isn't that illegal??? Oh right, you probably didn't inhale...

R.A.F.
2005-Jan-25, 06:33 PM
Funny, in this thread about drivers lisenses and birthdays, I'm getting a bunch of ads for 'do you believe in aliens?' below.

16 year old aliens, driving our streets!!! YIKES!!! :lol:

...and now I'm seeing an ad for "Christian Astronomy"...I guess that it's somehow different from the "regular" variety. :)

Candy
2005-Jan-25, 06:47 PM
That weekend, however, my brother, sister, and I had a huge joint party

Isn't that illegal??? Oh right, you probably didn't inhale...
That is so funny, and you are so bad! :lol:

pumpkinpie
2005-Jan-25, 07:04 PM

Let's see. My 16th birthday--in July of '92......

You're 29? You look alot younger in your picture.

I AM alot younger than 29. I'm 28-1/2! And I was a wee 27-1/4 when the picture was taken! :wink:
Thanks, by the way!

cyswxman
2005-Jan-25, 07:26 PM
I think I might have discoed. :wink: 8-[ :o \:D/

Nicolas
2005-Jan-25, 07:30 PM
\:D/ D*I*S*C*O \:D/

I can't remember what I did when I was 16, but I'm sure I did not disco :)
(that was more like when I was 19 and there were bets involved :D)

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-25, 09:44 PM

Same here, I think I celebrated the invention of the wheel (I don't think it has a future!)

ChesleyFan
2005-Jan-25, 09:55 PM
Can't remember what I did when I turned 16...

... or 21, for that matter...

...sad thing is, my 21st was five months back.

(I DO know I didn't get what I wanted for either...)

Swift
2005-Jan-25, 10:01 PM

Same here, I think I celebrated the invention of the wheel (I don't think it has a future!)
Yep, we was out killing dinosaurs. 8-[

Chuck
2005-Jan-25, 11:10 PM

HAPPY BE-LATED BIRTHDAY, Argos!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/party/party-smiley-050.gif

It was a great time to be born. The first day of school often fell on my birthday.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-26, 02:15 AM

Let's see. My 16th birthday--in July of '92--was my very last day of driver's training. I did my last road test of the class then went off to the Secretary of State to apply for my license.
What did James Baker have to say when you showed up to fill out your license application?

Maksutov
2005-Jan-26, 02:17 AM

Geez. Candy's such a Bush fan, she's even got him in her smilies! :wink:

Kebsis
2005-Jan-26, 02:48 AM
I can't remember my 16th birthday either. Which is really sad since I'm currently 20.

pmcolt
2005-Jan-26, 04:56 AM
Happy 16.0054th birthday, star girl. (And birthday wishes to everyone else in this thread whose birthdays I've missed.) :oops:

26 June 1998. That was a Friday. Most likely, I stayed at home all day and did nothing. Truly great times, those were. I don't really remember what I did on my 18th or 21st birthdays, either.

Oddly, I remember my 19th pretty well. It was a Tuesday; new music albums come out that day, including one by my favorite singer. Went out with my parents for dinner and to drop by Borders to pick up a copy. At the restaurant, I got iced tea spilled all over my lap, and end up walking into Borders with my jeans soaking wet with tea in order to buy a copy the day it came out.

Went to a concert of the same artist 4 days after my 22nd birthday. Funny what you remember and what you don't. Oh, yeah, and I think my 17th birthday was the year that I lost my ability to wish someone a happy birthday without reminiscing about my own past. Sorry.

Why don't I just leave it at "happy birthday, star girl".

Ilya
2005-Jan-26, 05:49 AM
Let's see... April 1982. 11th grade. No clue. Most likely played Dungeons & Dragons.

I remember my 17th birthday fairly well, however. Especially my friends' reaction to the fact that my Mom made mushroom soup with wine instead of water. (It was a big hit, in case you are wondering.)

Candy
2005-Jan-26, 05:51 PM

Geez. Candy's such a Bush fan, she's even got him in her smilies! :wink:
Wrong thread. :wink:

pumpkinpie
2005-Jan-26, 05:59 PM

Let's see. My 16th birthday--in July of '92--was my very last day of driver's training. I did my last road test of the class then went off to the Secretary of State to apply for my license.
What did James Baker have to say when you showed up to fill out your license application?

Yeah, wondered if anyone would catch that! That's what the Department of Motor Vehicles/Motor Vehicle Administration is called in Michigan. Well--it's a Secretary of State Branch Office. Any other state do that?

Gmann
2005-Jan-26, 06:20 PM
Let's see...October 9th 1974...probably doing homework and whining about it.

AstroRockHunter
2005-Jan-26, 07:08 PM
Happy Birthday, Star Girl (a little late, sorry).

However, this drives home the point that either wine or age (or both) are catching up with me because, for the life of me, I can't remember
what I did on your 16th birthday. :o

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jan-26, 07:40 PM
Two days ago was my 16th. I stayed at home and watched The forgotten with brother and sister in-law. What did you do?

Well happy 16th. For mine, almost a year ago now... memory isn't my best trait, erm #-o
I don't think i did anything. For my 17th i have nothing planned except getting my provisional drivers licence, 18th i could well be in a different country so i'm looking forward to that one :D

SeanF
2005-Jan-26, 08:49 PM
Yeah, wondered if anyone would catch that! That's what the Department of Motor Vehicles/Motor Vehicle Administration is called in Michigan. Well--it's a Secretary of State Branch Office. Any other state do that?
I think just about every state has a Secretary of State.

Here's (http://www.sdsos.gov/) the website for ours. Our SoS doesn't handle the DMV (that's under the Department of Public Safety (http://www.state.sd.us/dps/)), but it does oversee elections and handle CCW permits.

:)