PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Adams gets an asteroid

ToSeek
2005-Jan-26, 01:07 AM
Asteroid named
after ‘Hitchhiker’ humorist (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6867061/)

Asteroid Douglasadams was among the 71 newly named celestial objects announced Tuesday by the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, Mass.

Well deserved.

paulie jay
2005-Jan-26, 01:10 AM
That's wonderful! What a shame he'll never know. :(

AGN Fuel
2005-Jan-26, 11:02 AM
Let's just hope the Vogons don't demolish it to build a freeway. :D

I'm sure that he would have been thrilled with the honour.

Swift
2005-Jan-26, 01:55 PM
Wouldn't it be funnier to name a bypass after him? :wink:
Actually, I think he he should have a number named after him; from this point forward, the number between 41 and 43 is called Douglas!

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-26, 02:19 PM
In tribute to Douglas Adams . . .

Unbeknownst to the namers of the asteriod it already had a name, Shirley, which it liked very much. Happy to quietly orbit the Sun for billions of years Shirley, who never gave much thought to the strange blue world near it that it had always called 'Bluella', was as content as any asteroid could have been in a similar situation. Upon hearing that the inhabitants of Bluella had taken to calling her Douglasadams she became most distraught. "You'd think they'd have taken the time to ask for my name rather than just deciding one for me?" she fumed.

Centuries later, astronomers would discover that asteriods were sentient, and that there names were most unlike what the astronomers had taken to call them. This explained why asteriods always tried to maintain a cold, aloof distance from the Earth. The asteriods refused to discuss the ones that occasionally hit the Earth though, much like how your parents would never talk about "Uncle Fred" who lived in an attic in a farmhouse near Sussex.

Fram
2005-Jan-26, 02:22 PM
On the first link is a further link to this page with all the named asteroids (http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPNames.html#I). Can anyone tell me: the numbers before the asteroids, is that the order they are discovered? Ceres is 1; so that makes sense.
Strangely enough, on that list, updated 25 january 2005, there is no asteroid douglasadams...

Bawheid
2005-Jan-26, 02:23 PM
Outstanding T-man. =D> =D> =D>

jamestox
2005-Jan-26, 03:53 PM
Yeah, TriangleMan, what Bawheid said! That was fantastic and right in line with Adams' style - he'd'a been proud.

=D> =D> =D>

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-26, 07:41 PM
Great! I like this part of the item
<One prospect stood out: an asteroid given the provisional designation 2001 DA42> Not only did it memorialize the year of Adams' death (2001) and his initials (DA), but it also referenced the number 42 — which is absurdly meaningful in the "Hitchhiker" saga as the "answer to the Ultimate Question." (The problem was, no one ever knew precisely what the Ultimate Question was.)
:D :D

Gramma loreto
2005-Jan-26, 07:52 PM
I assume of course, that they checked the orbit of this asteroid to determine whether or not it's "mostly harmless."

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-26, 09:16 PM
right in line with Adams' style - he'd'a been proud.

I've always been a fan of his style of writing. Having looked back at my post Adams probably would have been happier had I actually spelt "asteroid" correctly. Oh well.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-26, 09:35 PM
Maybe they should send a robotic probe called Marvin!

(Has anyone else read his last book (Douglas not Marvin) "The Salmon of Doubt" ) None fiction and Well worth reading :D