PDA

View Full Version : NASA Co-op/Internship

kanathan
2005-Jan-26, 05:17 AM
I'm looking into trying to get into NASA's Co-op or Internship program, and I figured that some of you might be able to answer a few of my questions about it. Right now I'm a second semester Freshman (A Sophmore if you go by credit hours) double majoring in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering.

For getting a job with NASA, how important would it be that I get into the Co-op program. I know it would obviously help get a job with them, but by how much? How about just Summer Internships?

How difficult is it to get into the program? Are there lots of openings the different facilities each year, or are they rare?

And this might be better answered by the individual facilities, but I figure I'll ask it here anyways. The only two facilities which are within driving distance of either my parents' or families' houses are JPL and Stennis. Would any of you who happen to work or live near a facility know what it would cost to live near there?

beck0311
2005-Jan-26, 06:00 AM
You have a PM concerning this topic.

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-27, 03:38 AM
This is the URL for student jobs

http://www.nasajobs.nasa.gov/stud_opps/index.htm

I know that JSC (Houston) hires people both during the summer, and during the rest of the year. One of my friends spendt last semester doing an engineering internship at JSC, and as far as I know he was paid a pretty penny.

You could always look into if anyone is renting out rooms.

If you go to your local grocery store and pick up some of those "Apartment for rent" guides you should be able to get some web pages for the parent company, or do a google and go from there.

kanathan
2005-Jan-27, 03:49 AM
Thanks. :D

I hadn't thought about those rent guides. I'll have to find one and take a look.

jrkeller
2005-Jan-27, 03:51 AM
As you can see by my location, I live accross the street from the Johnson Space Center.

Over my 15+ years here, I've known several NASA co-ops as well as dozens of contractor co-ops. Being a co-op is a good way to get a permanent job at NASA or one its contractors. Most co-op jobs seem to be based on grade point, so keep up the high grades. NASA does hire directly too. The Columbia Accident report made mention that NASA isn't hiring enough young folks. There was a seven year hiring freeze during the Clinton era (It might have started under the first Bush).

I think the cost of living here is pretty reasonable. A one-bedroom goes for about 500$ a month. There are some with all bills paid, so that would save you the headache of getting utilities started. I suggest a cell phone instead of the traditional phone. One month of basic phone service is 35$ a month. My cell phone is less than that.

kanathan
2005-Jan-29, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the help guys. :D

My questions have pretty much been answered, but if anyone else knows anything about the Co-op program, let me know. :)