PDA

View Full Version : STTOS Sep 8 1966

Jim
2015-Sep-09, 11:54 AM
How did we miss this? Star Trek premiered on Sep 8, 1966. Shouldn't this be a national holiday or sumthin?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-original-star-trek-on-set-20150908-story.html

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2015-Sep-09, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't next year be the 50th anniversary? I'm sure there'll be lots of parties.

Immortan Furiosa
2015-Sep-09, 04:22 PM
You know some of us weren't born then don't you? :D I have seen them all though.

ToSeek
2015-Sep-16, 06:43 PM
The day before my eighth birthday. I didn't get into at first (it was on after my bedtime) but joined my parents for "Balance of Terror" and have been hooked ever since.

PetersCreek
2015-Sep-16, 07:38 PM
My Dad didn't care for science fiction at all but I have a memory of him sitting on the couch to watch it with me when I was quite young. I can't confidently say how old I was at that time of that memory but I was 5 years old when the series premiered so there's a chance it might have been one of first run shows. I was hooked from then on.

publiusr
2015-Sep-20, 08:51 PM
I was born Sept 22, 1966--the same year.

Of course, the eleven footer Enterprise was already built by '64.

Chuck
2015-Sep-20, 10:25 PM
I worked nights when the original series first aired. When I saw it years later I got to watch a new, from my point of view, episode per day, five days per week.

danscope
2015-Sep-20, 11:33 PM
Best dressed girls on television. Great plots. Freed imagination , but logical. Great graphics.
Something about an actor with uncertain pauses in his delivery..... but, well great television. We used to get Star Trek by film , to show on board our submarine. 1968 .
Happy days :)

Dan

Extravoice
2015-Sep-21, 02:38 PM
I remember seeing the show and thinking, "This is way better than Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!"

Spacedude
2015-Sep-21, 02:52 PM
If memory serves...I recall NBC promoting it's fall season line-up of 1966 shows with what they advertised as a "Sneak Preview". What they did was to show a selected episode about 3 weeks head of the usual season start in Sept. I highly anticipated the first Trek show which was to be aired in late August. The opening scene was Kirk, Spock, and McCoy beaming down to the surface of a planet, which was a surprise since beaming was totally unknown and I asked myself "What the heck just happened?". This was the episode with the salt sucking shape shifter and after that the gaps filled in. Never missed a single episode after that, long before recording was available.

I remember seeing the show and thinking, "This is way better than Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!"

So true, as well as Lost-in Space, Time Tunnel, and others that devolved into childrens shows unlike Trek that stuck to it's adult audience.

JohnD
2015-Sep-21, 05:13 PM
No.
It's a STORY.

John

Extravoice
2015-Sep-21, 06:31 PM
I'd read that there was a behind-the-scenes battle over the direction Lost-in-Space should go. Ultimately, the success of the campy Batman drove the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danscope
2015-Sep-21, 10:45 PM
Yes.... and remember the " striking dialogue " from Batman. hmmmm........

SeanF
2015-Sep-22, 01:15 PM
Yes.... and remember the " striking dialogue " from Batman. hmmmm........
"Striking" dialogue? You mean, like, "Bam!", "Pow!", "Ooof!" - that kind of thing? :)

Extravoice
2015-Sep-22, 01:29 PM
"Striking" dialogue? You mean, like, "Bam!", "Pow!", "Ooof!" - that kind of thing? :)

I think this one sums it up pretty well:
Robin: Holy atomic pile, Batman!

More here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059968/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu

danscope
2015-Sep-22, 08:34 PM
Yes Sir, they had their "striking moments" . Still.... I'd like to have dinner with Julie Newmar :)

publiusr
2015-Sep-26, 06:33 PM
This was the episode with the salt sucking shape shifter and after that the gaps filled in. Never missed a single episode after that, long before recording was available.

That episode is on tonight--on MeTV.
THE MAN TRAP

Spacedude
2015-Sep-26, 09:23 PM
Cool, thx for the heads-up publiusr!

Oh, Yeah Julie Newmar!
I fell for her when she played the role of a robot in the 50's "My Living Doll" tv show....not sure if we called them androids back then?