PDA

View Full Version : Harvest Moon at Perigee - Total Lunar Eclipse - September 27

Centaur
2015-Sep-17, 04:16 PM
This yearís Harvest Moon will be shining during the North American evening of Sunday 2015 SEP 27. At that time the Full Moon will be at Perigee (closest to Earth for this lunation) which the media likes to sensationalize as a Super Moon. But most interestingly there will be a Total Lunar Eclipse visible in the Americas during that evening of the 27th and in Europe and Africa during their predawn hours of September 28th.

Iíve created a panoramic graphic with data for nine phases of the eclipse: www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

My predicted event timings are in CDT (UT-5). The events will occur at essentially the same real time for all observers experiencing nighttime, but time zone adjustments must be made for those outside of CDT.

For my graphics, Iíve placed a fictional blue wall behind the Moon to make obvious the Earthís Umbra and Penumbra. The umbra is the dark inner shadow and the umbra is the lighter fringe shadow. An astronaut on the Moon within the umbra would be witnessing a Total Solar Eclipse. If he were within the penumbra he would be seeing a Partial Solar Eclipse.

In my graphics, the Moonís posted altitude above the horizon and angular positioning relative to the umbra are most exact for observers at Chicagoís Adler Planetarium. Otherwise, the Moon will appear essentially same for all nighttime observers.

The darkness of the Moon and degree of redness during a total eclipse can vary. This depends on atmospheric conditions at locations on Earth for which the Sun and Moon appear at opposite positions on the local the horizon. An astronaut on the Moon within the umbra would see the dark night side of the Earth obstructing the Sun surrounded by a reddish ring of atmosphere. The redness is due to the Sun appearing on the horizon with its light being altered by traveling through much atmosphere for those locations on Earth.

An additional viewing treat that night will be the brightest asteroid 4 Vesta at opposition from the Sun and about 12į south of the Moon. At stellar magnitude +6.2 it may be visible to some naked-eye observers under dark skies during eclipse totality: www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids.html

Photos and descriptions of the eclipse would be welcome additions to this thread.

Jerry
2015-Sep-20, 05:52 AM
I followed the embedded link, and my computer has been going nuts with virus threat quarantines for five minutes...

Centaur
2015-Sep-20, 03:28 PM
I followed the embedded link, and my computer has been going nuts with virus threat quarantines for five minutes...

Thanks for your report, Jerry. Thousands of people for many years have been visiting my website to view or download graphics. No one else has ever reported a similar problem. I assure you I do not add malicious content such as viruses to my website. I regularly have McAfee scan my computer for malicious intrusions. Another scan was just now completed. No viruses or other malicious content were detected.

Actually the link sends you directly to a server at my webhost, Jumpline. I must upload my webpages to that server for you to access them. Jumpline is quite proactive about preventing malicious intrusions into its servers. My website visitors and I have never encountered such a difficulty during the entire time that my website has resided on a Jumpline server. Following your comment I phoned Jumpline and they reported to me no recent problems of any sort with their servers. At that time they even visited my website and found no problem. They suspect that your own computer is the source of the problem you encountered. I too have to access that Jumpline server to view my own website. If there were problems when I attempt to view it, McAfee would warn me. It has never done so in regard to my website.

However, for the last couple of years I have been getting warnings from McAfee about possibly malicious content on some of these Cosmoquest webpages, but not for this particular Astronomy forum within Cosmoquest. After each of those warnings I would run a full McAfee scan of my computer. Nothing malicious was ever found.

I was in contact with a Cosmoquest administrator a couple of years ago who was baffled about what might cause a security warning upon entering a Cosmoquest forum. I stayed away for over a year, then returned and found no problems with Cosmoquest as long as I exclusively visit Cosmoquest's Astronomy forum which I have bookmarked.

I suspect that your quarantine messages were due to either a Cosmoquest server, or one at some other website that you had recently visited, or to a mistake by your security service or your computer. You may want to run a full scan of your computer to check for possibly malicious intrusions. A negative result should indicate to you that the warnings you received were not justified. -- Curt Renz "Centaur"

KaiYeves
2015-Sep-20, 03:37 PM
Yessss, finally another lunar eclipse visible from the East Coast before midnight! I can't even remember how long it's been since that last happened... the February 2008 one?

Centaur
2015-Sep-23, 07:39 PM
The Chicagoland weather forecast for the Sunday evening Total Lunar Eclipse calls for mostly clear skies and pleasantly warm temperatures. I hope that most readers here will be similarly smiled upon by Mother Nature as she presents her show. :)

EDIT1: Here on Saturday morning the Chicagoland forecast has changed to cloudy for Sunday evening. Let's hope it changes again.

EDIT2: Here on Saturday evening the Chicagoland forecast has changed to partly cloudy for Sunday evening. That should allow for some peeks at the Moon.

KaiYeves
2015-Sep-23, 08:33 PM
Our forecast is partly cloudy, but we're still a few days out, so it could change. I hope we can see the eclipse!

KaiYeves
2015-Sep-28, 01:04 AM
The High Line is packed with New Yorkers looking skyward! I think I see some shadow already!

Swift
2015-Sep-28, 01:36 AM
Pretty cloudy here, but can see a moon with a piece missing through the clouds.

KaiYeves
2015-Sep-28, 01:39 AM
Definitely a bite out of it now, almost half. So many folks with cameras are here!

Squink
2015-Sep-28, 02:51 AM
Totality.
That's as dim as I've seen it, and I've seen several.
Almost grey, rather than reddish.
Might just be local high level cirrus. Took a little effort to even pick out Cassiopeia here.

DonM435
2015-Sep-28, 03:30 AM
Here's what it looked like around 11 pm local from east central Florida:

Not too impressive, eh? Mrs. M took the picture.

She also noted that there were flood warnings attributed to unusual tidal forces:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A COASTAL
FLOOD ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EDT MONDAY
NIGHT.

* COASTAL FLOODING...HIGH ASTRONOMICAL TIDES DUE TO LUNAR
CYCLE...AND A BUILDING NORTHEAST SWELL INTO MONDAY WILL CAUSE
MINOR COASTAL FLOODING FOR TYPICALLY VULNERABLE LOCATIONS ALONG
THE EAST COAST BEACHES AND SOME AREAS ALONG THE INTRACOASTAL
WATERS AROUND THE TIMES OF HIGH TIDE INTO MONDAY. WAVE RUNUP TO
THE BASE OF THE DUNES IS ALSO EXPECTED AT MANY EAST CENTRAL
FLORIDA BEACHES NEAR THE HIGH TIDE.

* TIMING...THE HIGH TIDE OCCURS SUNDAY EVENING BETWEEN 7 PM AND 9
PM...MONDAY MORNING BETWEEN 7 AM AND 9 AM AND MONDAY EVENING
BETWEEN 8 PM AND 930 PM.

DonM435
2015-Sep-28, 03:39 AM
While waiting for the Moon, or at least better seeing, Mrs. M noted some other folks waiting ...

There's an abandoned mailbox just outside our front door, as the Post Office required a switch to a curbside box long before we moved here. We've had a family of frogs residing there all the while.

KaiYeves
2015-Sep-28, 05:05 AM
It got fully covered and dark coppery red in New York before the clouds came in. Still, we managed to see the whole first half!

Hornblower
2015-Sep-28, 01:04 PM
Totally clouded out here in greater Washington. Phoooooooey!

Swift
2015-Sep-28, 01:57 PM
@DonM435 - Love the frogs (imagine that).

When we went out at 10:20 or so to see totality, it had completely clouded over and started to rain. :(

Arneb
2015-Sep-28, 08:05 PM
Totality here was from 4 to 5:20 in the morning. As I had a long early morning drive on the autobahn, I first watched half an hour of totality from the roof sipping my morning coffee and later watched the Moon from my car as it untangled itself from the dragon, sinking towards the the Western horizon. That was really quite beautiful, especially when Venus' belt appeared a few degrees above the Moon. One of (I think) only three total Lunar eclipses I've seen, and undoubtedly the one with the most pleasant weather - completely clear skies start to finish...

It was probably an artifact of my knowing what was going on but I did think that the partially lit Moon looked less brilliant than a normal full Moon because of the penumbra. Especially when its light was weakened by passing ground mist I thought/imagined I saw a slight falloff in brightness towards where the umbra had disappeared.

LookingSkyward
2015-Sep-28, 11:20 PM
We were actually able to see it! It was very cool (and chilly outside as well).