PDA

View Full Version : Rare ‘Harvest Supermoon’ Makes for a Super Eclipse September 27

Fraser
2015-Sep-18, 01:12 PM
Get set*for a superlative eclipse.*On Sunday night, September 27 in the Americas (early Monday morning*for Europe and Africa)*the Full Moon will slide into Earth’s shadow in total eclipse. This is no ordinary Full Moon. It’s the Harvest Moon, the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumnal equinox. It also happens to reach perigee — […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/122292/rare-harvest-supermoon-makes-for-a-super-eclipse-september-27/)

Hornblower
2015-Sep-19, 04:21 PM
In my opinion the article displayed excessive hyperbole about the large angular diameter almost exactly at perigee. A casual observer almost surely will not notice any difference between this one and a full Moon a day or so on either side of perigee, or even more. I never noticed the difference between perigee and apogee until it was called to my attention, and even then it is not that big a deal when my comparison for the present diameter is something from several months ago. Of course the difference is strikingly obvious if we have images displayed side by side simultaneously.