PDA

View Full Version : Monocular Rivalry

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-27, 01:03 AM
I just came across this optical illusion. Stare at the picture without moving your eyes at all.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Monocular_rivalry.png

The human brain really is strange.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-27, 01:18 AM
I just came across this optical illusion. Stare at the picture without moving your eyes at all.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Monocular_rivalry.png
Nae sure whit it was supposed tae div tae mah een, but ever since starin' at it, I've bin talkin' wi' a pronoonced burr.

The human brain really is strange.
As any visit to GLP will quickly demonstrate.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-27, 01:26 AM
Look at it right and the red bars disappear. Then the green ones. Then the red ones again. Weird.

Maksutov
2005-Jan-27, 01:34 AM
OK, I see it (or not). :D

Must be related to this flag illusion. (http://www.qualitytrading.com/illusions/flag.html)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-27, 01:41 AM
I don't think so. Afterimages are caused by tiring cone cells on the retina. Monocular rivalry is related to binocular rivalry, in which a different image is presented to each eye. The images do not combine, they flip back and forth. It's a perception thing, not a physical thing.

Or so says Wikipedia.

8-[

(Though the flag image is cool. They got the colours right and everything!)

NASA Fan
2005-Jan-27, 03:07 AM
I did not see the flag.

I could never see the image when those 3-D images were popular about 10 years ago.

I guess my brain is just wired differently.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-27, 09:32 AM
I didn't have enough patience for the flag.

The green/red thing worked perfectly after a while, though it wasn't that easy, considering I'm colorblind :).

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-27, 09:47 AM
Wierd! On my crt monitor (in a bright room) all I saw was a black square, on a laptop with a liquid crystal screen it worked fine. (I am slightly red/green colour blind, maybe that makes a difference?) :o

Nicolas
2005-Jan-27, 10:17 AM
I watched it on a separate LCD, and it worked fine. I haven't checked it on a CRT. Maybe the refresh rate is too low, or the screen settings are not allright (contrast, RGB, brightness)? Just guessing what could be the cause. My colorblindness is mainly in semitones, not really red/green. On those color-blindness test images, I can see both solutions, I just pick the one that appears first and a bit clearer (which is the "correct" one) to please the tester :)

sidmel
2005-Jan-27, 02:01 PM
Ock! It did exactly as the Supreme C said it would for me. Only problem is now I have bar after images in my eyes.

Somebody let me out, I'm too young to for prison food! **Rattles imaginary bars**

Wally
2005-Jan-27, 03:05 PM
I did not see the flag.

I could never see the image when those 3-D images were popular about 10 years ago.

that's pretty cool!

Nasa, I'm like you on this. I've never been able to make out those darn 3D image things, no matter how I tried. My mother and sister would take a single glance and say "oh cool! an eagle flying over a snowy mountain!".

I hated them for their ability. . . :lol:

teddyv
2005-Jan-27, 03:36 PM
I did not see the flag.

that's pretty cool!

Nasa, I'm like you on this. I've never been able to make out those darn 3D image things, no matter how I tried. My mother and sister would take a single glance and say "oh cool! an eagle flying over a snowy mountain!".

I hated them for their ability. . . :lol:

Another one who was never able to do them either. My excuse is a very dominant left eye which doesn't allow me to use both eyes in a manner to decode the images.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-27, 03:40 PM
I was able to do them, but I did them wrong: got like sliced images (crossed my eyes instead of looking at infinity). Now I can view stereograms these days (by looking at infinity), so I guess I've mastered the technique for 3D drawings as well.

Argos
2005-Jan-27, 03:43 PM
They also move laterally a bit(*), maybe because of their fuzziness (the brain has to decide where to locate the axis of each bar, I think).

(*) Do you see it too?