PDA

View Full Version : Guide to October’s Conjunction Mania, See Venus in Daylight

Fraser
2015-Oct-07, 03:10 PM
Tomorrow morning might be a good time to call for extra*celestial traffic control. A*slip of a crescent Moon will join a passel of planets in the dawn sky for the first of several exciting conjunctions over the next few days.(...)Read the rest of Guide to October’s Conjunction Mania, See Venus in Daylight (813 words) © […]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/122690/guide-to-octobers-conjunction-mania-see-venus-in-daylight/)

Swift
2015-Oct-07, 03:22 PM
I guess part of the mania is the forum software being so excited it repeats this five times. ;)

Ross 54
2015-Oct-07, 05:07 PM
Speaking of seeing Venus in daylight: I was practicing for tomorrow's conjunction of Venus and the Moon, watching for Venus through 7x50 binoculars, this morning. At 10:00, local time, was still able to see Venus. Imagine the crescent Moon a drawn bow. An arrow shot straight and true would point to Venus. It looks like a tiny silvery ball against the blue sky. A thin overcast prevented my seeing it without binoculars, but, as I know from personal experience, it is possible to see Venus at midday, under favorable conditions, with only the naked eye.

Ross 54
2015-Oct-07, 07:00 PM
Looked for Venus again. Searched around a good deal. Was on the point of giving up, thinking the ambient light and very thin overcast had defeated me. It hadn't! Venus finally sighted at 11:49, local time, again with 7x50 binoculars.

Ross 54
2015-Oct-08, 04:21 PM
Venus and the Moon close together now. They made a very pretty sight in the pre-dawn sky. Can still see them both at 9:15. local time, even without my glasses. Venus slightly higher with respect to the Moon than yesterday, from my vantage point, but still essentially East of the bow of the Moon.