PDA

View Full Version : The 'Comet' re-direct mission

Gorn
2015-Oct-11, 07:10 AM
Hello. Can someone tell me when the mission will launch..that will re-direct a water rich comet to 'soft land' on the moon..to be used for future astronauts and their
water and oxygen related needs?

G

Noclevername
2015-Oct-11, 07:59 AM
As far as I know, there is no such mission planned.

The Moon does already have water ice and other volatiles in craters at the north and south poles.

Jetlack
2015-Oct-11, 08:27 AM
Iīd be sort of worried about a comet redirection mission, unless itīs on course to already smash into the earth.

Jens
2015-Oct-11, 09:00 AM
Hello. Can someone tell me when the mission will launch..that will re-direct a water rich comet to 'soft land' on the moon..to be used for future astronauts and their

G

Since we don't have the capacity to soft-land a comet, or even catch one, it's pretty far off.

tusenfem
2015-Oct-11, 09:45 AM
AFAIK there is a plan, that would grab a small asteroid (a big rock) and bring it in an orbit around the moon.
But google is your friend, here is NASA's Asteroid Redirect homepage (https://www.nasa.gov/content/what-is-nasa-s-asteroid-redirect-mission/).

Jetlack
2015-Oct-11, 11:28 AM
AFAIK there is a plan, that would grab a small asteroid (a big rock) and bring it in an orbit around the moon.
But google is your friend, here is NASA's Asteroid Redirect homepage (https://www.nasa.gov/content/what-is-nasa-s-asteroid-redirect-mission/).

IMO, This is exactly the type of mission that really worries me. Maybe one day our space systems and technology will be advanced enough to complete such feats successfully, with great precision. But I think if you look at the mishaps we have had in space missions over the last few decades I can imagine things going wrong and endangering earth itself. The moon is just too close to home to be trying to place comets or asteroids in its orbit.

Time Traveler
2015-Oct-11, 11:38 AM
Iīd be sort of worried about a comet redirection mission, unless itīs on course to already smash into the earth.

I think the ultimate goal is to see if they can actually nudge one off course if it is on a collision course with earth. But then again they are saying "small asteroid" how small is small in this case?

antoniseb
2015-Oct-11, 12:38 PM
As noted above, the mission you describe is not planned, and can't be done in the foreseeable future. I suspect that by the time it could be done it will be an obsolete idea. It will be easier (by then) to use nano-factories (or some such technology) and mine the comet for whatever you want out of it, and bring it back in a more manageable format.

Jetlack
2015-Oct-11, 12:51 PM
I think the ultimate goal is to see if they can actually nudge one off course if it is on a collision course with earth. But then again they are saying "small asteroid" how small is small in this case?

Yes i can understand that type of mission if Earth is already in danger.

glappkaeft
2015-Oct-11, 01:15 PM
IMO, This is exactly the type of mission that really worries me. Maybe one day our space systems and technology will be advanced enough to complete such feats successfully, with great precision. But I think if you look at the mishaps we have had in space missions over the last few decades I can imagine things going wrong and endangering earth itself. The moon is just too close to home to be trying to place comets or asteroids in its orbit.

If you read the page tusenfem linked to you can see that there is no risk, the size is just to small to be dangerous.

Noclevername
2015-Oct-11, 01:30 PM
If you read the page tusenfem linked to you can see that there is no risk, the size is just to small to be dangerous.

It says a multi-ton boulder*, which is still somewhat concerning. Although the odds of it actually hitting Earth seem low.

*Assuming that means a 2 ton stony solid, can someone calculate how big an impact it could have?

Grashtel
2015-Oct-11, 02:32 PM
It says a multi-ton boulder*, which is still somewhat concerning. Although the odds of it actually hitting Earth seem low.

*Assuming that means a 2 ton stony solid, can someone calculate how big an impact it could have?
After playing around with the numbers in the Earth Impact Effects Program (http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/) I have gotten that the effects would be pretty much nothing, its just too small to get deep enough into the atmosphere to have a noticeable effect on the ground. Plus Earth is hit by bodies of that scale on a regular basis (several times a year) without any noticeable effects

Jetlack
2015-Oct-11, 03:36 PM
After playing around with the numbers in the Earth Impact Effects Program (http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/) I have gotten that the effects would be pretty much nothing, its just too small to get deep enough into the atmosphere to have a noticeable effect on the ground. Plus Earth is hit by bodies of that scale on a regular basis (several times a year) without any noticeable effects

hehe yes unless you are the poor sodīs house it crashes into ;-)

Noclevername
2015-Oct-11, 04:04 PM

OK, thanks.

cjameshuff
2015-Oct-11, 05:09 PM
hehe yes unless you are the poor sodīs house it crashes into ;-)

If you are the poor sod whose house is stuck up in the upper atmosphere where the rock can hit it, you've got bigger problems than the incredibly remote chance of us not only missing lunar orbit but somehow putting the rock on a course that hits Earth.

The risk to Earth involved in the proposed mission is essentially zero. It's also only a proposal for a mission.

NEOWatcher
2015-Oct-11, 05:34 PM
It could also be the Asteroid Deflection & Assessment (Aida) that Gorn heard about.
It's actually supposed to hit an asteroid to change it's trajectory. But; the change will only be in the mm/s range.
And; as cjameshuff said about ARM, it's also only a proposal. But; it is a NASA/ESA collaboration.

Noclevername
2015-Oct-12, 01:56 AM
The thread about the current redirect proposal. (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?158723-Asteroid-Impact-amp-Deflection-Assessment-(AIDA)-mission-AIM-DART)