PDA

View Full Version : British inventor of the Web honoured

Sticks
2005-Jan-28, 08:12 AM
See this link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4214473.stm)

Just think, we can only have this forum because of the work of one of us Brits. :D

kucharek
2005-Jan-28, 08:18 AM
Why is it fun to be British? :D (I'm only interested in humourous answers!)

Nicolas
2005-Jan-28, 10:08 AM
Tim Berners-Lee worked at CERN with Belgian Robert Cailliau (amongst others) on the WWW project. They came up with the WWW name in a pub in Genève. Robert Cailliau made a practical joke from that name in fact: "world wide web" is a very nice name, nicely unforced three times w. Added to that, it is the same in Dutch (WereldWijde Web), what Robert Cailliau, liked. So the decision was easily made.

But what the others didn't think about, was that now you're stuck with all these "double u double u double u dot..." URL's, while in Dutch we pronounce it much shorter "weeweewee" (the english equivalent of this would be saying "we we we"). Saves on commercial time :).
anyway, =D> for the invention!

kucharek
2005-Jan-28, 10:28 AM
Tim Berners-Lee worked at CERN with Belgian Robert Cailliau (amongst others) on the WWW project. They came up with the WWW name in a pub in Genève. Robert Cailliau made a practical joke from that name in fact: "world wide web" is a very nice name, nicely unforced three times w. Added to that, it is the same in Dutch (WereldWijde Web), what Robert Cailliau, liked. So the decision was easily made.

But what the others didn't think about, was that now you're stuck with all these "double u double u double u dot..." URL's, while in Dutch we pronounce it much shorter "weeweewee" (the english equivalent of this would be saying "we we we"). Saves on commercial time :).

Thanks. I always wondered about that as the W is in English really the most unconvenient letter for spelling

Nicolas
2005-Jan-28, 10:31 AM
Well, it's a bit of an urban legend, but the fact that he was among the (three?) people to invent the name is true, and I thought he was the one who proposed it, so there is good chance it is true. And he really got our French and English neighbours there :evil: :D

Glom
2005-Jan-28, 10:42 AM
I thought Al Gore invented the Internet. :-k

Bawheid
2005-Jan-28, 11:13 AM
Why is it fun to be British? :D (I'm only interested in humourous answers!)

As Cecil Rhodes put it; "We are fortunate in the lottery of life to have been born British." :D

jumbo
2005-Jan-28, 11:27 AM
Why is it fun to be British? (I'm only interested in humourous answers!)
Well amongst other things we have people who build siege engines and catupults and launch old cars from them..oh and people that convert bathtubs and sheds and armchairs into roadgoing vehicles. And they arent locked up, theyre called eccentrics!

For example the gentleman who ran the london and new york marathons in an iron diving suit (finishing time 1 week) is now riding a bike across australia. Oh...Its a penny farthing...and he`s dressed as Sherlock Holmes.

Glom
2005-Jan-28, 11:34 AM
It's cold outside,
There's no kind of atmosphere.
I'm all alone,
More or less.
Let me fly,
Far away from here.
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun sun.

I want to lie,
Shipwrecked and comatose,
Sipping fresh,
Mango juice.
Gold fish shoals,
Nibbling at my toes.
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun, sun.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-28, 01:48 PM
For example the gentleman who ran the london and new york marathons in an iron diving suit (finishing time 1 week) is now riding a bike across australia. Oh...Its a penny farthing...and he`s dressed as Sherlock Holmes.

This bloke (http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/story/0,12070,1365432,00.html): successfully completed it for charity in Dec 2004. =D>

Zachary
2005-Jan-28, 04:59 PM
It's cold outside,
There's no kind of atmosphere.
I'm all alone,
More or less.
Let me fly,
Far away from here.
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun sun.

I want to lie,
Shipwrecked and comatose,
Sipping fresh,
Mango juice.
Gold fish shoals,
Nibbling at my toes.
Fun, fun, fun,
In the sun, sun, sun.

Bang on there =D> .

Amadeus
2005-Jan-28, 05:01 PM
"WARTY TOWELS"

for those that know....

Maddad
2005-Jan-28, 09:53 PM
See this link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4214473.stm)
Just think, we can only have this forum because of the work of one of us Brits. :DI live on the internet. He deserves that honor.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-28, 10:17 PM
And a Belgian! And a belgian! And a Belgiaaaaaaaaaaan!! :-D

pghnative
2005-Jan-29, 12:04 AM

yeah, it's not often that the abbreviation for something is longer (pronunciation wise) than the something itself.