PDA

View Full Version : Identify the image

R.A.F.
2005-Jan-28, 10:00 PM
http://www.photodump.com/direct/RAF/11056656720006.image.jpg

Edited to add...HEY! I finally figured out how to send images to the board...it's not too big, is it?

Nicolas
2005-Jan-28, 10:01 PM
I assume JPEG :D

bird trails in the snow (edit: make that snow uhm how do you call it, frozen fog on grass) (edit: make that ice crystals on your car, with bird trails through them)

R.A.F.
2005-Jan-28, 10:07 PM
That's close enough, Nicolas. It's actually frost I "found" one morning on the top of a car. The "patterns" formed on their own...I thought it looked cool.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-28, 10:14 PM
No kidding, but I was going to edit once again to "leave the bird trails, it are just ice crystals on a car"

I think the patterns have to do with static electricity? (like dust not only blows to trails on your car by wind, but can also really "stick" in trails due to static electricity).

But I was rather close indeed if I identified the ice and the car.
I don't have any pics, so of anyone else has one, I give him/her my turn.

zebo-the-fat
2005-Jan-28, 10:16 PM
I remember a few years ago being sent on a "safe driving" course. The instructor put up a slide and asked us to identify it. It looked like a grey blobby thing on a white background. People made various guesses mainly along the lines of "it's a cracked windscreen" or things like that. When nobody got it right he told us that it was a picture of a bacterium!
The point being that we see what we expect to see (i think!)

Nicolas
2005-Jan-28, 10:26 PM
I clicked this link with a little voice screaming in my head "My hat if that won't be an ice crystal pic he's got!" :D But you do tend to see what you expect to see indeed.

Seriously, I was fearing it was some electron microscope image. I just happened to recognize the sight but couldn't immediately locate it precisely (no wonder, we had like 1mm snow this year, what a winter)

For your info: if you try to make snowballs out pf these crystals, it won't work: they fall apart in your hands, and you can nicely scratch the car in the process...

R.A.F.
2005-Jan-28, 10:30 PM
But I was rather close indeed if I identified the ice and the car.

Indeed, you were! =D>

I don't have any pics, so of anyone else has one, I give him/her my turn.

Actually, I have a confession to make...

I started this thread as a test to see IF I could post images...and I didn't want to call it "test" so I looked for a weird image to post...and the rest you know.

But if folks here would like to post images to identify, I certainly see no problem with that. :)

Fortis
2005-Jan-28, 10:32 PM
That's close enough, Nicolas. It's actually frost I "found" one morning on the top of a car. The "patterns" formed on their own...I thought it looked cool.
Rubbish. If you look at how the crystals are all "woven" and their "stalks" aren't snapped, it's obvious that we're dealing with a "higher power". I bet if you held a pendulum (with a quartz crystal bob) over it, you'd notice all kinds of weird, mystical, energies radiating from it. ;) :)