PDA

View Full Version : Venera-D mission to Venus

selvaarchi
2015-Nov-13, 09:15 AM
A one year feasibility study to do a joint Venus mission between the USA and NASA has been approved. If it takes off then possible launch date is late 2020s.

http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/11/12/u-s-russian-talks-on-venus-mission-resume/

NASA has resumed discussions with Russia on a potential joint robotic mission to Venus in the late 2020s after the Ukraine crisis stalled the partnership, according to scientists involved in the talks.

Russian scientists have studied the Venera-D mission to Venus more than a decade as a follow-up to the Soviet-era Venera and Vega probes to the second rock from the sun.

Rob Landis, a program executive at NASA Headquarters, told a meeting of the Venus Exploration Analysis Group last month that the discussions are taking a “100,000-foot view” of the mission.

NASA has only committed to a year-long feasibility study, which will produce a report for top NASA and Russian managers to decide whether to pursue a cooperative mission to Venus, Landis said Oct. 27 at the VEXAG meeting in Washington.

The joint science definition team met in Moscow from Oct. 5-8, and scientists plan two more face-to-face meetings in the Russian capital over the next year. Scientists from the Moscow-based Space Research Institute, known by the Russian acronym IKI, are in charge of the Venera-D concept.

NEOWatcher
2015-Nov-17, 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=selvaarchi;2325495]...a joint Venus mission between the USA and NASA...[/url]
Ooops, I think you typed too fast. ;)

selvaarchi
2015-Nov-17, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=selvaarchi;2325495]...a joint Venus mission between the USA and NASA...[/url]
Ooops, I think you typed too fast. ;)

I did, it should say USA and Russia :D