PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Space

selvaarchi
2015-Nov-23, 01:37 PM
Came across this youtube one hour video "Emerging Technology: The Future of Space" from Nov 19, 2015. So just a few days ago and I expected to hear from the experts how they did see the future in space.

Must say I was very disappointed from I heard from them. They seemed to think the future of space is only NASA and the American space commercial industry. It was only after 30 minutes that questions was thrown to the floor when I thought we might get come decent discussion going. The question to the panel was on how China might impact on it. The answers was China has purchased their space program from Russia and they are about where the US was when doing Gemini.

I wonder what the rest of you think. With China having already tested their new rocket engine with the launch of the Long March 6, and the Long March 7 and 5 planned for next year, they will have strong foundation to start the human exploration of the moon within the next 10 years. The Japanese have already stated that they will not lead on the human exploration of the moon but will contribute their robotics expertise for the mission. In fact they have already spending real money in that direction. ESA and Russia have also indicated that they would like to go to the moon though no real money has yet been committed by ESA. The Russians seem to have some form of plan in place.

There was only a brief mention of India and their Mars mission but nothing else. Looking at a 10 year horizon, India which is now ranked 8th largest nation in terms of US $ GDP will most likely be in 3ed place (they are already in 3ed place using Purchasing Power Parity GDP). Their impact on space will be felt and I do hope they do go with China to the moon as one of the partners. By them they should have started on their own human space flights.

Also looking at the 10 year horizon, I see nations like South Korea, UAE and possible Iran and Israel also having a impact.

Would like to hear what the rest of you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu-1-6njVFM

Experts discuss the latest innovations in space technology, the prospects for a human mission to Mars, and the importance of sustaining American leadership in space exploration.

Swift
2015-Nov-23, 01:57 PM
I only watched the first 5 minutes or so. The gentleman who made the initial talk on background information made it clear that the entire focus of their panel discussion was on the US space program. They may be the Council on Foreign Relations (whatever that is), but it is clear their focus wasn't on the global situation.

I wouldn't make too much of this video, one way or the other. The predictive ability of panels of talking heads is pretty low, IMO.

selvaarchi
2015-Nov-23, 02:09 PM
I only watched the first 5 minutes or so. The gentleman who made the initial talk on background information made it clear that the entire focus of their panel discussion was on the US space program. They may be the Council on Foreign Relations (whatever that is), but it is clear their focus wasn't on the global situation.

I wouldn't make too much of this video, one way or the other. The predictive ability of panels of talking heads is pretty low, IMO.

Take it to the 29th minute point and watch for 5 minutes to get the more interesting potions of the talk.

On China there is a more comprehensive report by the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission (USCC) (http://www.leonarddavid.com/report-flags-chinas-space-prowess-challenges-decades-of-u-s-dominance-in-space/)