PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates Giving his Fortune to Charity

Raptor1967
2005-Jan-30, 07:47 PM
Bill Gates' $750m donation to the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation is just the latest move in his plan to give away most of his fortune during his lifetime.

Wow what a guy. I guess I am gonna have to apologize for dissing his company all these years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4215419.stm

edited to add link

Nicolas
2005-Jan-30, 08:11 PM
You can say a lot against Microsoft. You can say a lot against Bill Gates.

But there's also the good side.

Microsoft did make PC's more accessible for many users, and did help to put PC's on the place they have in our lives now.

Bill Gates, however not too shy not too enjoy his money, managed to stay as realistic as possible under the pressure of his billions. He earned his money on an (ignore monopoly issues :)) honest way, and by giving thousands of people a living. He plans on keeping enough money to make sure his children (whom hopefully have a sense of money value) will never get into trouble (which is his right of course). What is left (like, 99.99% :) ), he gives to charity. All sorts of charity, on all sorts of places.

I think the world could have had a worse "richest man". Far, far worse.
=D>

Dark Helmet
2005-Jan-31, 03:22 AM
Bill is only the 2nd richest man right now.

Brady Yoon
2005-Jan-31, 04:08 AM
Are you sure?

Bill Gates has 46.6 billion and Warren Buffet, the runner up, has 42.9

This is from Forbes.

pmcolt
2005-Jan-31, 04:27 AM
I wish I had enough money to make a $750-million charitable donation.

I have nothing bad to say about Gates nowadays. It's always fun to bash the giant monopolistic corporation and its leadership, but anytime you hear Gates' name in the news nowadays, it's usually connected to some huge donation to charity or a scholarship. I say good for him.

archman
2005-Jan-31, 04:42 AM
If only he'd donate a few hundred million towards space exploration... oh well.

Candy
2005-Jan-31, 08:11 AM
Why don't we ask him to? 8-[

Grey
2005-Jan-31, 08:18 AM
It's not actually a bad idea at all. Someone would need to present a convincing case for him to donate money toward such a project rather than some other cause, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Candy
2005-Jan-31, 08:31 AM
It's not actually a bad idea at all. Someone would need to present a convincing case for him to donate money toward such a project rather than some other cause, but it couldn't hurt to try.
As much as some of these guys bash him from here... hmmmm...

Bill Gates is quite the businessman! If more people spent time trying to study his work, instead of trying to destroy his work... well...

Tranquility
2005-Jan-31, 08:52 AM
You know one of the reasons Intel was popular with a lot of reviewers on websites and magazines was because they also used to host quite a few charity events.

I personally quite like Microsoft and Gates, and I think they've risen to the top deservedly.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 09:09 AM
If you want space donations, Why don't you ask Paul Allen? He owns a rocket engine company, has an interest in space, and has some cash too, I heard :)

Candy
2005-Jan-31, 09:14 AM
If you want space donations, Why don't you ask Paul Allen? He owns a rocket engine company, has an interest in space, and has some cash too, I heard :)
I hear Bill's got more cash. :wink:

Bawheid
2005-Jan-31, 09:44 AM
There was a previous thread where Bill Gates's income came up, and we (ok, Triangleman) reckoned Gates received about $260 million a year in Mirosoft dividends with a nominal salary.

If his 46 billion is prudently invested he should receive another 2 billion or so in income. All before tax of course, and the charity donation is probably tax deductable.

If he wants to give away his fortune in his lifetime he has to start by making a serious dent in his capital. He may be doing this already, but 750 million is a gift out of income.

Candy
2005-Jan-31, 09:48 AM
There was a previous thread where Bill Gates's income came up, and we (ok, Triangleman) reckoned Gates received about $260 million a year in Mirosoft dividends with a nominal salary.

If his 46 billion is prudently invested he should receive another 2 billion or so in income. All before tax of course, and the charity donation is probably tax deductable.

If he wants to give away his fortune in his lifetime he has to start by making a serious dent in his capital. He may be doing this already, but 750 million is a gift out of income.
So we can ask for more? I nominate Grey. 8)

Bawheid
2005-Jan-31, 09:56 AM
Morning Candy.

Yeah, 2 billion here, 2 billion there. Sooner or later it will add up to real money. :D

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-31, 11:58 AM
While the donation is out of income it still appears to be more than what other multi-billionaires are doing (with the possible exception of the Sultan of Brunei but his money goes to his own people). I'm starting to hear about more and more projects sponsored by the Bill&Linda Gates Foundation so I'm glad for whatever he can contribute.

The most recent project I've heard of: heavily financing a non-profit medical group researching a drug to treat Chargas disease.

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-31, 12:01 PM
Here's the thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=335871) that discusses Gates' annual income.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-31, 12:04 PM
I didn't mean to criticise Bill Gates at all, he gives far more than most rich people. The thread is entitled "Bill Gates giving his fortune to charity" and this doesn't seem to show that.

I don't know much about his philanthropy but I'll see what I can come across.

Bawheid
2005-Jan-31, 02:07 PM
The Gates Foundation (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm) has assets in the region of $28 billion, all of which seem to have come directly or indirectly from Bill Gates. That is a fair dent in his capital.

Good work fella. =D>

Grey
2005-Jan-31, 02:16 PM
So we can ask for more? I nominate Grey. 8)
You know, maybe I'd be willing to try that. If nothing else, it would probably be good practice in writing grant proposals. :) Anyone want to make a suggestion of a concrete proposal for which to request funding? You can't just say, "Hey, Bill, donate a bunch of money to space exploration!" Well, you can, but that won't work. :D

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 02:23 PM
Some people here would like to hear a Hubble repair, but why don't you just ask funding for a space based telescope that will outperform any telescope available on any waveband? 8) Always ask more than you want :)

TriangleMan
2005-Jan-31, 02:29 PM
Reviewing the Gates Foundation website that Bawheid linked to it would appear that the Foundation focuses its efforts on medical funding and education initiatives for underprivilaged groups. I'm not sure funding space exploration, telescopes . . . etc is within the Foundation's guidelines.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 02:31 PM
The Gates Foundation (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm) has assets in the region of $28 billion, all of which seem to have come directly or indirectly from Bill Gates. That is a fair dent in his capital.

Good work fella. =D>

That website says 27 billion, And according to Forbes he was worth 46.6 billion in 2004. Fair dent indeed!

ToSeek
2005-Jan-31, 02:45 PM

GatesSat. ;)

Argos
2005-Jan-31, 03:09 PM

Bill Gates is a model citizen, unfairly persecuted for playing by the rules. Everybody chant the glory of the high values of western civilization, but everybody love to criticize the best example of enlightened capitalism.

Windows is not that bad. Thank you Bill.

Fram
2005-Jan-31, 03:34 PM

Bill Gates is a model citizen, unfairly persecuted for playing by the rules. Everybody chant the glory of the high values of western civilization, but everybody love to criticize the best example of enlightened capitalism.

Windows is not that bad. Thank you Bill.

Nono, Argos, it was 'against' Bill Gates. Now try again! 8)
Umm, seriously, many people who like western civilization don't equate it with enlightened capitalism in the neoliberal sense. And although Bill Gates probably is a model citizen, that doesn't mean that Microsoft always plays by the rules. They haven't won all big lawsuits against them, you know, so according to judges, they didn't always play fair. And if Microsofts doesn't always play fair, then Gates isn't always a fair businessman.
But he perhaps is one of the better ones around, as a person.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 03:40 PM
I think Bill Gates has his mind set like "I can decide what should be done with 45 billion dollars" instead of "I own 45 billion dollars". It seems like the only way to stay sane in that situation to me.

Complaining about people and products is easy. Making something better however... Sure I too find that Windows has it's drawbacks: XP really makes a mess from my HD. I am the only user, why do I need folders called "all users" "default user" and "[my name]", in which programs get randomly placed? But apart from its drawbacks, I find it very easy to use (I can install hardware and software with my eyes closed), and very stable: not a single crash in the 6 months that I have abused this PC. Sure Bill Gates uses his market position to gain further power in the software market, but if he wasn't offering decent quality, he would never have gotten (or stayed) where he is now.

Raptor1967
2005-Jan-31, 04:30 PM
Well all I can say is BRAVO and good for him. I hope he really does make a difference and I think the way he is going about it is the way to go.

Lets convice him to finace the construction of a space elevator. It would reduce the costs of launches as well as open up space to everyone. He could also make a nice profit if it was done right . Profit from the elevator could finace even more charitable goals.

JMHO

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 04:44 PM
I think that at this moment, money is not the main problem for a space elevator...

Celestial Mechanic
2005-Jan-31, 06:30 PM
I don't care how much money Billy gives to salve his conscience, to me he will always be a robber baron. He got that money by strong-arming computer manufacturers into refusing to install and configure any other operating systems. In early 1995 I bought a PC with OS/2 preloaded; I could not do that in 1996 when I bought another. In 1999 it was impossible to get OS/2 or BeOS preloaded. It is still impossible to get anything other than the "latest and greatest" from Redmond preloaded anywhere but mail-order.

A few years back there was some trade show or other where Billy was carrying on about all the wonderful things Microsoft was going to do in the future, and one of the attendees got up during the Q&A period and asked, "Could you please tell us what you're not going to get into? I want to have something for me and my children."

Also, there are some things that no amount of money can buy, forgiveness being one of them. And there can be no forgiveness for Microsoft Bob, "Clippy" the paperclip, and Internet Explorer (generally called "Internet Exploiter" for its endearing quality as serving as the portal for the installation of viruses, trojans, and adware). No forgiveness!! See my sig below. :D

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 06:34 PM
Microsoft is over if you want it.

I don't want it (Microsoft being "over"). It served me well. I annihilated the paperclip, I have MS antispyware, I pick the Microsoft products I like. I am teasing you :).

Celestial Mechanic
2005-Jan-31, 10:07 PM
I don't want it. It served me well. I annihilated the paperclip, I have MS antispyware, I pick the Microsoft products I like. I am teasing you :).
I don't want it (Microsoft). I won't have it. Never had the paperclip. Don't need antispyware. I pick the IBM/Lotus products I like. I am teasing you now. I will empathize when MS ultimately bites you.
:)

PS: Dump Internet Exploiter and switch to FireFox! An ounce of prevention and all that.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 10:14 PM
I will empathize when MS ultimately bites you.

Start empathizing nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnow

I once lost half my program code due to a VB error :). I Still love VB however (hits the other sore spot in computer world :)).

Tranquility
2005-Jan-31, 11:30 PM
He got that money by strong-arming computer manufacturers into refusing to install and configure any other operating systems.

lol that's actually quite funny since it was Apple that refused to license its OS to hardware manufacturers, banishing them to the fringes of market share. And they don't even bloody learn. Now they won't license their FairPlay digital rights management scheme to other portable music player manufacturers and online music stores, so their iTunes music plays only on iPods. Whereas Microsoft allows other online stores like Napster to use its DRM schemes and popularize its own WMA format. And people like choice. Use of Microsoft services actually offers them that choice for a wide variety of hardware and services.

lol but yeah I'll never forgive Microsoft for the Office clip, or the dog that pops up when you want to do a search. Never have I had such an urge to smash an animal to smithereens.

Nicolas
2005-Jan-31, 11:41 PM
Give the dog a break. I like him MUCH more than the clip. :)

That new search function could have been more direct when it comes down to, well, searching files. OF COURSE I want to look in all files and folders :).