PDA

View Full Version : not so parallel universes...

man on the moon
2005-Jan-30, 07:55 PM
This isn't really bad media, I just don't know where else to put it.

Watching Stargate: Atlantis the other day, it struck me that Sci-Fi universes may not be parralell after all. First example?

Dr. McKay and Major Shepperd were on a desert planet checking out a distress signal. To make a long story short, the bad guy wasn't as dead as they thought and got into their ship while they were gone. Of course he couldn't start it, but did set up a force field.

When the two arrived at the ship and saw what was going on, McKay said to Shepperd, "What are you going to do now? You'll have to Captain Kirk us out of this one..."

:)

Any other examples out there?

novaderrik
2005-Jan-31, 12:09 AM
on SG1 one time, that hot blonde female (i forget her name) said that they would have to "MacGyver" their way out of whatever situation they were in- and Richard Dean Anderson gave her a funny look- you know, in a previous television series he "was" MacGyver...

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jan-31, 12:28 AM
He also wanted to name Prometheus "Enterprise." He got scolded for it, too. :)

DataCable
2005-Jan-31, 01:05 AM
The MacGyver reference was in the pilot, regarding their kludged interface to operate the stargate in the absence of a DHD.

Another Trek reference in Atlantis ("Poisoning the Well," I believe): In response to Dr. Carson's neuroses toward gate travel, Shepard exclaims "He's worse than Dr. McCoy."

Hmmm: Dr. McCoy... Dr. McKay. link?

frenat
2005-Jan-31, 01:34 AM
On the SG1 show this weekend, Dr Jackson used a fake name when meeting with somebody. The name was Olo, Hans Olo.

skrap1r0n
2005-Jan-31, 02:39 AM
There was one stargate where they were filming referring to the ,ovie Stargate and Daniel Jackson mentions that James Spader played his part in the movie.

pmcolt
2005-Jan-31, 04:31 AM
^ Was it "Wormhole X-Treme"? Where SG-1 parodied itself in the form of a low-budget cable show and made fun of all the clichés in sci-fi shows?

Demigrog
2005-Jan-31, 03:19 PM
^ Was it "Wormhole X-Treme"? Where SG-1 parodied itself in the form of a low-budget cable show and made fun of all the clichés in sci-fi shows?

Also, the aliens "beamed up" to their ship with the STOS transporter special effect at the end of that episode. Nice touch.

Best parody of all time, IMHO, was the B5: Crusade X-Files tribute episode. The Y taped in the window just cracked me up.

skrap1r0n
2005-Jan-31, 06:45 PM

I don't think is was that episode, I believe it was the one where they had video crews filming inside the SGC when an offworld mission went bad and one of the prominent characters died.

man on the moon
2005-Jan-31, 08:19 PM
lol, this is great. now that i think about it, i do recognize most of those lines. :D

are there other shows that do this also, or are the stargate writers (besides good) fans of other shows in their night life...hmm.

SeanF
2005-Jan-31, 09:15 PM
Well, there was an episode of Andromeda that included the following dialogue:

Dylan: That is "the Way."
Bem: Uh-huh, uh-huh.
Dylan: You like it?
Bem: Uh-huh, uh-huh.

:roll:

pmcolt
2005-Jan-31, 10:40 PM
I don't think is was that episode, I believe it was the one where they had video crews filming inside the SGC when an offworld mission went bad and one of the prominent characters died.

Ah. I remember that episode, except for the title. I don't remember that line being in there, but I shall re-watch it just as soon as the sci-fi channel gets around to playing it again.

Not quite the same thing, but I seem to recall an early episode of Andromeda where Harper commented that Dylan was built "like a Greek god."

And I have never managed to see that episode of Crusade :evil:

nomuse
2005-Feb-01, 10:27 AM
Well...a couple SG-1 episodes, they've brought out a pair of civilian scientists. One is hard-core computer nerd and engineer type, the other is complete geek and extreme Star Trek fan. While being chased around a Go'uld mothership; "We're doomed! We might as well be wearing red shirts!" And then he had to explain it to his buddy.

Best cross-show ref I ever saw was on Star Trek TNG, when Bevery is going through a graveyard of her Irish ancestors (or some such weirdness), and for just a moment the camera is one one headstone; "Martin McFly."

Van Rijn
2005-Feb-02, 12:34 AM
In the episode "Tangent" where Teal'c and O'Neill take an unwelcome trip by Jupiter in the X-301, Daniel talks to Jacob in the rescue ship:

Daniel: Um, well, we were kind of hoping you could, like, beam them out.
Jacob: Beam them out. What am I, Scotty?

Of course, there are all sorts of things in the show best associated with Star Trek: Inertial dampers, deflector shields, etc.

Earlier in that episode Daniel radios a Goa'uld mothership, telling them that he is the great and powerful Oz ...

weathergal
2005-Feb-02, 02:45 AM
SG1 seems to reference other SF shows quite a bit. Way back in the second season episode "1969", the team goes back in time, with O'Neill getting questioned by a Air Force officer:

Thornbird: "I'm Major Robert Thornbird. And you are?"
O'Neill: "Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise."
Thornbird: "And your dog tags say otherwise."
O'Neill: "They're lying."

And a bit later, after O'Neill gets accused of being a Soviet spy:

Thornbird: "Kirk, you can talk to me or you can talk to the CIA."
O'Neill: "Ooh. Alright. I'll be honest with you, Bob. My name's not Kirk. It's Skywalker. Luke Skywalker."

man on the moon
2005-Feb-02, 04:53 PM
SG1 seems to reference other SF shows quite a bit. Way back in the second season episode "1969", the team goes back in time, with O'Neill getting questioned by a Air Force officer:

Thornbird: "I'm Major Robert Thornbird. And you are?"
O'Neill: "Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise."
Thornbird: "And your dog tags say otherwise."
O'Neill: "They're lying."

And a bit later, after O'Neill gets accused of being a Soviet spy:

Thornbird: "Kirk, you can talk to me or you can talk to the CIA."
O'Neill: "Ooh. Alright. I'll be honest with you, Bob. My name's not Kirk. It's Skywalker. Luke Skywalker."

now i MUST watch that one!! i missed it somehow :S.