PDA

View Full Version : Football food

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jan-31, 04:32 AM
Once again, The Bowl Of Superbness approacheth, and red-blooded Amurricans the world over are going to hunker down in front of the cable tuble with their pennants and game-worn jerseys (ewww...) and beverages (adult or otherwise) and their noshing material.

Not to be one to detract from the deity-of-choice-given right to simultaneously overwhelm the taste buds and mortar shut a few arteries, I proudly present for your eructating pleasure...

Charlie In Dayton's Dark Red Hot Cheese Dip

1 envelope Southern Mills Cheddar Cheese Sauce (or local equivalent, or 1 3/4 cups of your favorite imitation petro-cheese)
2 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
3 tbs bacon bits
1/8 tsp black pepper (be very gentle here -- the black pepper gives it a real bite!)
1 tbs chili powder

If using cheese-in-an-envelope, combine cheese powder and all dry ingredients in small mixing bowl. Whisk together thoroughly. From there, follow directions on envelope for cooking.
If using your favorite melted whatever, add spices 'n bacon bits to 1 3/4 cups of melted 'cheese'.
Stir constantly to keep from burning.
Remove from heat when everything is nicely mixed.
Serve hot. Tastes best with low salt/unsalted dipping material (salt kinda overpowers the subtle (?) flavors).

This recipe makes enough for one (1) diehard football fan for the first half of the game. Use the majority of halftime to determine if you're still hungry enough to whip up another batch for the second half!

Yummy...

Sammy
2005-Jan-31, 05:44 AM
That would be a great dip for a White Castle!

We're going to realize a long-time dream this year! I have a Turducken on order--a boned turkey stuffed with a boned duck stuffed with a boned chicken. The space between will be stuffed with a cajun dressing of cornbread and pork rice.

sarongsong
2005-Jan-31, 06:17 AM
...1 tbs chili powder...the subtle (?) flavors)...
Yeow!!! Dibs on the beverage concession :P
It's guacamole (http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/appetizers/guacamole.html) for me :lol:

mike alexander
2005-Jan-31, 07:11 AM
But how do you get the football to eat it?

sarongsong
2005-Jan-31, 01:04 PM
Leave the skin on the pig---they'll eat anything :D

Gmann
2005-Jan-31, 02:14 PM

Battery Acid is also a good dip for a White Castle, which is where I think they belong, unless I've been drinking beer, then I have a strange craving. Yeah...I must be one of theirs. :D

Sammy
2005-Jan-31, 04:51 PM

Battery Acid is also a good dip for a White Castle, which is where I think they belong, unless I've been drinking beer, then I have a strange craving. Yeah...I must be one of theirs. :D

When I was a kid in St. Louis, all the WCs served an orange drink which we all believed got its flavor from old battery acid and its color from orange dye :D

Makgraf
2005-Jan-31, 09:29 PM
I've been thinking about using beer bread (http://www.steamwhistle.ca/kitchen/recipes-detail.php?id=12) as a "bowl" for dip (so you can break off pieces of the bowl and dip them). It's a good simple recipe that's quick to make. You don't have to use Steamwhistle in it (I haven't yet) so you can experiment with that.

N C More
2005-Feb-01, 12:45 AM
Oh, this thread is a great idea, I'm going to copy all the recipes! Our traditional menu for Superbowl is "Super" chili with beans and meat. I use chopped cube steak and mexican red beans and have some nice hot ground chili powder from Texas. Naturally, I put in lots of chopped onions, sweet peppers, tomatoes and garlic as well. Cook it up in a crock pot so that it stays hot for the whole game, goes great with your favorite tortilla chips!

Togusa
2005-Feb-01, 02:59 AM
...1 tbs chili powder...the subtle (?) flavors)...
Yeow!!! Dibs on the beverage concession :P
Which reminds me: Don't try to extinguish a chili powder-induced fire by chugging cola, beer, or even water -- chilies and hot peppers get their spicy flavors from oils, which don't mix readily with water- or alcohol-based beverages. Chasing that four-alarm chili with a cold can of <insert favorite beverage (alcoholic or non-) here> will likely make your mouth feel like you've swallowed a small sun (voice of experience here). :o

Instead, quaff a cool pint of milk or a milkshake (plain, strawberry, or chocolate, take your pick) -- the milkfat will emulsify the spicy oils and carry them away from your taste buds and down your throat, quenching the fire in your mouth. (Besides, milk's better for you, anyways. :wink: )

Gmann
2005-Feb-01, 02:09 PM
Party Pooper. :D