PDA

View Full Version : Death of David Bowie

ozduck
2016-Jan-11, 08:43 AM
David Bowie has died aged 69. Not an artist always to my taste, but definitely a significant and original performer who released his last album only a few days ago. RIP

Drummer62
2016-Jan-11, 11:25 AM
I just recently dug out a few old Bowie albums to find inspiration for my drumming.
Some of the songs I hadn't really listened to (with full attention) in 20 or 30 years.
I was amazed to re-discover the pure musical genius of David Bowie. What a joy to listen to!
I put it on high volume in my little studio, sat behind my kit, started playing along and had a blast. I didn't put the sticks down for more than an hour.

I certainly don't like all of his music, especially some of the later albums.
But I admire his incredible range of styles and his fearless experiments.

Actor Simon Pegg wrote on Instagram: (https://www.instagram.com/p/BAZFjzQPN-A/) "If you're sad today, just remember the world is over 4 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie."

Rest in peace!

ciderman
2016-Jan-11, 12:16 PM
A major part of the soundtrack of my life.

My acoustic heart was already weighted with the recent passing of Lemmy, ah well the music shall endure.

Jens
2016-Jan-11, 12:31 PM
I certainly don't like all of his music, especially some of the later albums.
But I admire his incredible range of styles and his fearless experiments.

I completely agree. I have some of his early songs, like Soul Love and Five Years and Major Tom in my music collection. They are really great songs. I used to play Ziggy Stardust when I was playing in a high school band, so I really remember that stuff.

Jim
2016-Jan-11, 01:08 PM
I didn't like all of his music, but most. And I respected him, the man.

cosmocrazy
2016-Jan-11, 01:19 PM
I didn't understand the appeal, I thought he was weird and his music rubbish. But I respect the fact that he had a big following and was a very successful artist. I obviously didn't know him personally so cannot make comment on his personality or character. From the few interviews I've seen he always came across odd, but seemed like a decent guy. So from me out of respect, R.I.P David Bowie

slang
2016-Jan-11, 03:13 PM
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong

RIP David Bowie

BigDon
2016-Jan-11, 03:28 PM
One of my favorite concert experiences was David Bowie's "Serious Moonlight" tour.

KaiYeves
2016-Jan-11, 04:09 PM
Respect.

Gillianren
2016-Jan-11, 05:13 PM
I didn't understand the appeal, I thought he was weird and his music rubbish. But I respect the fact that he had a big following and was a very successful artist. I obviously didn't know him personally so cannot make comment on his personality or character. From the few interviews I've seen he always came across odd, but seemed like a decent guy. So from me out of respect, R.I.P David Bowie

. . . That's how you do respect? A simple "he wasn't my thing, but whatever" would have sufficed.

I seem to have acquired the job of obituary writer for my film site. http://www.the-solute.com/we-were-ziggys-band-david-bowie-1947-2016/

CJSF
2016-Jan-11, 05:59 PM
His music spanned so many genres (and may have helped develop some), so a blanket statement that his music is "rubbish" covers an awful lot of music.

But in any case, I'm sad in a general sense that he's no longer with us, but I knew he'd be ill for a while (several DJs on various SiriusXM stations had mentioned it), so at age 69 his passing isn't really any shock to me.

CJSF

kzb
2016-Jan-11, 06:20 PM
His influence went far wider than some on here are giving him credit for...Iggy Pop, New Order, punk, new romantics, Gaga, Madonna...etc....would any of these existed (in the music biz) if there's never been a Bowie?

I got Blackstar on Friday. The CD is black.
Thought Dollar Days was a nice little song about being homesick for England -now it's got a whole new meaning. What's more, it must've been planned like that. He knew this would be his last album, and even his death was planned as an artistic masterpiece.

Cash girls suffer me, I've got no enemies, I'm walking down
It's nothing to me
It's nothing to see
If I never see the English evergreens I'm running to
It's nothing to me
It's nothing to see

I'm dying to
Push their backs against the grain and fool them all again and again
I'm trying to
We *****es tear our magazines those oligarchs with foaming mouths phone
Now and then
Don't believe for just one second I'm forgetting you
I'm trying to
I'm dying to

Dollar days, survival sex, honour stretching tails to necks
I'm falling down
It's nothing to me
It's nothing to see
If I never see the English evergreens I'm running to
It's nothing to me
It's nothing to see

I'm dying to
Push their backs against the grain and fool them all again and again
I'm trying to
It's all gone wrong but on and on
The bitter nerve ends never end
I'm falling down
Don't believe for just one second I'm forgetting you
I'm trying to
I'm dying to

I'm trying to
I'm dying to

I'm trying to
I'm dying to

I'm trying to
I'm dying to

I'm trying to
I'm dying to

Lots of middle-aged British are actually in tears today.

Jim
2016-Jan-11, 07:20 PM
Diane Rehm was interviewing Carly Simon earlier today. Diane said a caller wanted to know if Carly would share her reaction to David Bowie's death.

Which is how Carly learned about David Bowie's death.

FYI, stunned silence.

danscope
2016-Jan-11, 07:31 PM
Art, really great art lives forever. David Bowie will endure because he has touched the hearts of so many across this planet. Never the solid state,
he was busy re-creating himself , always fresh , always feeling new , always relevant . His inspiration to create new music with lyrics that stir your
soul reflect a life well lived. We find it so hard to give back , and it was so easy to take that body of work . I never knew he was ill.
Shall we remember him as he was and sing along .... as he would have wanted. He taught us to float in a most unusual way.
He will never be gone.

cosmocrazy
2016-Jan-11, 07:31 PM
. . . That's how you do respect? A simple "he wasn't my thing, but whatever" would have sufficed.

I seem to have acquired the job of obituary writer for my film site. http://www.the-solute.com/we-were-ziggys-band-david-bowie-1947-2016/

I show my deepest respect by giving my honest opinion and feelings. I never discredited him as a person or made any ill formed opinion about him personally. I acknowledged that he achieved great success and longevity in his career and I totally respected him for that. I feel sad for his close friends and family for their loss, something we unfortunately have or will all experience.

Edit
ok an after thought,

I realise now that calling his music "rubbish" may sound a bit harsh and distasteful. So I sincerely apologise for that remark.

cosmocrazy
2016-Jan-11, 07:35 PM
Art, really great art lives forever. David Bowie will endure because he has touched the hearts of so many across this planet. Never the solid state,
he was busy re-creating himself , always fresh , always feeling new , always relevant . His inspiration to create new music with lyrics that stir your
soul reflect a life well lived. We find it so hard to give back , and it was so easy to take that body of work . I never knew he was ill.
Shall we remember him as he was and sing along .... as he would have wanted. He taught us to float in a most unusual way.
He will never be gone.

That's a nice post,
A heart felt note :)

parallaxicality
2016-Jan-12, 12:38 AM
Been listening to his music all day, trying to compose my thoughts. I'm not sure if this is a flash of self-discovery or an implanted thought, but in the end it makes no difference. David Bowie bore a passing resemblance to my own father, and shared his cut-glass British accent. My father was recently diagnosed with cancer, so this news, understandably, hit me hard. My father and I have always had a rather complicated relationship, and I can safely say that, his many virtues aside, children were never the driving force of his life. I think in the back of my mind I always saw David Bowie as an idealised image of what I wanted my father to be. Of course, I never knew the guy, though, ironically, my dad met him a few times, and they might have been equally aloof and narcissistic. But what he sang about belied that- passion, sensitivity, woundedness. For all his otherworldly charisma, he was the ultimate nerd rock star- fiercely intellectual, technologically astute, unashamedly abnormal. He was lucky enough to make peace with his paranormality early in life, and harness it for his art. I hope that others following the same path find inspiration in him.

Solfe
2016-Jan-12, 03:22 AM
I woke up to the news that Bowie had passed. My mother was a huge fan. She and my dad went out of their way to expose to me to music and that love of music has enriched my whole life. Not everyone can impact millions like Mr. Bowie, but when you take a moment to share something enriching with a child, whether it is music, science, the arts, or sports, the impact lasts lifetime.

I will miss Bowie, but I will always remember how my mother took the time to introduce me to his works. What a fine person (both of them), it was wonderful.

kzb
2016-Jan-12, 12:15 PM
David Bowie wasn't just another pop star, he was far more important than that. Perhaps I'm biased being British, but the culture you are now living in would be very different if Bowie had not been around. I kind of regret the first paragraph of my post #12 because his influence went far wider than inspiring a range of lesser music artists.

I can't play Blackstar now I know its true meaning, it's too traumatic.

Grey
2016-Jan-13, 04:55 PM
Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo)'s Chris Hadfield at the end of his final mission on the ISS, singing "Space Oddity". This was recorded a few years ago, so Bowie got to see it (and apparently had to fight with his own producers to make sure that Hadfield was able to keep the video up).

kzb
2016-Jan-13, 05:02 PM
Apparently there is a petition to name something on Mars after him. I hope it succeeds.

danscope
2016-Jan-13, 07:49 PM
Yes...that would indeed be a great thing.

Drummer62
2016-Jan-13, 08:52 PM
Apparently there is a petition to name something on Mars after him. I hope it succeeds.

That is indeed a great idea.
Do you have a link where we can support it?

A quick search only revealed petitions to a god to bring him back...

kzb
2016-Jan-14, 06:16 PM
https://www.change.org/p/ask-the-international-astronomical-union-to-name-something-on-mars-after-david-bowie?recruiter=465696330&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

redshifter
2016-Jan-18, 08:02 AM
Man, what a highly influential career. Calling him a 'pop star' doesn't even begin to do him justice. Incredible range and talent. RIP.

Drummer62
2016-Jan-18, 11:21 AM
https://www.change.org/p/ask-the-international-astronomical-union-to-name-something-on-mars-after-david-bowie?recruiter=465696330&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Thanks.

starcanuck64
2016-Jan-19, 04:00 AM
Other than the Let's Dance album featuring Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar I didn't listen to David Bowie that much, but I was surprised at how moved I was that he passed. He was one of those performers I just assumed would always be around for some reason. He also did some memorable roles in movies, my favorite was the British hitman in Into the Night.

RIP Mr. Bowie