PDA

View Full Version : Would it be possible, re. cgi and movies...

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Feb-01, 12:04 PM
Would it be possible to take old movie footage and "map" an actor's physical attributes and then animate that character by mapping these attributes to another actor of similar physical proportions? I would love to see this done with the original Star Trek gang...

Amadeus
2005-Feb-01, 12:08 PM
Didn't this get done with the Brandon Lee film "The Crow"

IIRC He was killed on set and the film was shelved for a number of years because he had not filmed all his scenes.

In the end they used some fancey tech to recreate a virtual double and the film was released. A good tribute IMHO.

Anything is possible it just depends on how much you want to spend in terms of time and money.

smallfluffykat
2005-Feb-01, 12:10 PM
Isn't this what the Discovery Channel did with their Virtual History programme?

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/virtualhistory/_home/index.shtml

...going back to lurking... :D

Candy
2005-Feb-01, 01:21 PM
Isn't this what the Discovery Channel did with their Virtual History programme?

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/virtualhistory/_home/index.shtml

...going back to lurking... :D
Cool link, smallcutefluffyfatkitty (sorry - love your user name and then some)! :D

Van Rijn
2005-Feb-01, 10:23 PM
Would it be possible to take old movie footage and "map" an actor's physical attributes and then animate that character by mapping these attributes to another actor of similar physical proportions? I would love to see this done with the original Star Trek gang...

Possible, but the technology isn't quite there yet for "real life" simulation - the CGI will be obvious. But this is essentially what was done in "Polar Express" with Hanks playing several different characters.

I wouldn't mind seeing original Star Trek episodes with the FX done with CGI. Some of the space battles, especially, could really benefit. But, unlike Star Wars, I still would want to have both the original and updated versions available.

Doodler
2005-Feb-01, 10:33 PM

IIRC He was killed on set and the film was shelved for a number of years because he had not filmed all his scenes.

In the end they used some fancey tech to recreate a virtual double and the film was released. A good tribute IMHO.

Anything is possible it just depends on how much you want to spend in terms of time and money.

No, he had completed almost all principle filming, dying with only 8 days of shooting remaining (ugly pun, sorry). The remainder of the scenes were done with a body double. Though not mentioned here, the actual acting scenes Brandon was in were already done.

http://www.franksreelreviews.com/shorttakes/brandonlee/brandonlee.htm

paulie jay
2005-Feb-01, 10:39 PM
Would it be possible to take old movie footage and "map" an actor's physical attributes

It would still look like CGI. I find CGI to be very two dimensional looking, even the three dimensional stuff!

Andreas
2005-Feb-02, 02:39 AM

No, he had completed almost all principle filming, dying with only 8 days of shooting remaining (ugly pun, sorry). The remainder of the scenes were done with a body double.
But they did use CGI to paste Brandon Lee's face on the body double IIRC, at least in some sequences.

captain swoop
2005-Feb-02, 11:31 AM
They did it with Oliver Reed in Gladiator as well, he died with a few scenes left to finish.

Tranquility
2005-Feb-02, 11:59 AM
lol CGI movies are probably a director's dream. No obnoxious, always late actors to deal with, and he doesn't have to put up with new actors (or even worse if they have kids or animals on the scene).

Anyone here loved the all-CGI Final Fantasy?

2005-Feb-02, 07:14 PM
Even though it was pretty lame, I did find the FF movie to be pretty impressive. The DVD was even more so. There were a couple of scenes on the menus that had me doing a double take because they looked so real. I'd LOVE to see a truly hi-def version of the movie.

Back to the OP, Titanic did that in some scenes. For example, when they're running down the hall trying to get away from the water pouring in after them.

Doodler
2005-Feb-02, 07:52 PM
Even though it was pretty lame, I did find the FF movie to be pretty impressive.

From a movie standpoint, it was weak, from an artistic standpoint, it was amazingly well done. Almost enough that you can forgive the incredibly lame plot.

sidmel
2005-Feb-02, 09:08 PM
Seems a year or two ago I either read an article or saw something on TV about actors having their bodyís scanned and stored for future use in CGI. The company has/had where claiming that future of movies will be totally CGI. You put together a plot, write the script, go to your local actor CGI library and insert the ones you like, and Bobís your uncle. OMG, I hope that doesn't mean we'll have to live with Brad Pitt in new movies for the forseable future...

Here's a link I just Googled out of curiousity:

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film/features/story.jsp?story=588054

2005-Feb-02, 09:11 PM
Even though it was pretty lame, I did find the FF movie to be pretty impressive.

From a movie standpoint, it was weak, from an artistic standpoint, it was amazingly well done. Almost enough that you can forgive the incredibly lame plot.

Exactly. It honestly set a new bar for CG that I don't think has been exceeded yet, though I suppose that you could argue that none of the movies since has tried for that degree of realism.

Doodler
2005-Feb-02, 09:25 PM

Exactly. It honestly set a new bar for CG that I don't think has been exceeded yet, though I suppose that you could argue that none of the movies since has tried for that degree of realism.

FF came within a hair's breadth of blurring the line between pure CGI toons and some of the CGI addins that live movies use, like Jurassic Park. The closest I've seen to Final Fanstasy in terms of CGI animation is in a couple video games. Star Wars Galaxies has an impressive array of extremely well animated emotes for the character toons ingame, and if you have a computer that can handle the painfully high detail available in EverQuest 2, you can see levels of skin and surface detail approach Final Fantasy levels. I don't think there's going to be much of a market for CGI movies of FF's caliber. Either its going to be of the Toy Story/Incredibles variety of obvious toonishness or its going to be animated additions to live action films. Most of what FF brought about will probably become video game standard in a generation or two.

LunarOrbit
2005-Feb-02, 09:38 PM
They did something similar for Star Wars Episode II "Attack of the Clones". During the final lightsaber duel Christopher Lee's face was pasted over a body double who performed the scene.

sidmel
2005-Feb-02, 09:40 PM
An interview with the CGI designers for Schrek, said they had to make the grass and trees look 'less' real. Apparently the set was making the characters look more cartoonish and really jarred the senses.

mid
2005-Feb-03, 10:59 AM
Am I the only one who really disliked the CG in the Final Fantasy film?

It worked wonderfully for the sets and generally anything non-human, I'll agree. But the animated "people" were all done with such horribly poor animation that the quality of the still-frame rendering made them feel more obviously fake.

My general opinion is that if you're going to just use motion-capture the whole time anyway, you'd be much better off going the Sky Captain route and just using actual footage of the actors.