PDA

View Full Version : Sun Rotation

Clanger
2016-Jan-12, 05:50 PM
When viewed from different hemispheres, does the Sun appear to rotate in different directions? I know the Moon is the other way up in the South, is this true of the Sun? If yes, how does it appear at the equator etc.

profloater
2016-Jan-12, 05:53 PM
When viewed from different hemispheres, does the Sun appear to rotate in different directions? I know the Moon is the other way up in the South, is this true of the Sun? If yes, how does it appear at the equator etc.

no, i appears to spin the same and always rises in the east. the shadow on the moon is different but the moon also rises in the east wherever you are.

John Mendenhall
2016-Jan-12, 06:18 PM
no, i appears to spin the same and always rises in the east. the shadow on the moon is different but the moon also rises in the east wherever you are.

Rotatiom, Pro, not apparent revolutiion.

Regards, John M.

profloater
2016-Jan-12, 06:45 PM
Rotatiom, Pro, not apparent revolutiion.

Regards, John M.

oops must read the quetion, draw a diagram. etc.

Jeff Root
2016-Jan-12, 07:16 PM
The change in the orientation of the Sun relative to a vertical line
in the sky as viewed from different locations on Earth is the same
as it is for the Moon.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Clanger
2016-Jan-12, 07:43 PM
The change in the orientation of the Sun relative to a vertical line
in the sky as viewed from different locations on Earth is the same
as it is for the Moon.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Then an inverted orientation would then produce an opposite spin surely? I have to confess that spatially I can't quite get my head around this at all.

Jens
2016-Jan-12, 10:31 PM
Then an inverted orientation would then produce an opposite spin surely? I have to confess that spatially I can't quite get my head around this at all.

If you want to know how the rotation of the sun appears say at the South Pole, then simply do a handstand and you'll get the idea. It will appear to rotate from say the left to the right rather than the right to the left, but that's because your right and left have been reversed.

John Mendenhall
2016-Jan-13, 12:00 AM
Quote from Wiki:

"Sunspots viewed from Earth's northern hemisphere appear to move from left to right across the face of the Sun." :whistle:

Jens
2016-Jan-13, 12:24 AM
Quote from Wiki:

"Sunspots viewed from Earth's northern hemisphere appear to move from left to right across the face of the Sun." :whistle:

I guess they could have added, "Sunspots viewed from Earth's northern hemisphere appear to move from left to right across the face of the Sun when the person is not standing on their head." :)

glappkaeft
2016-Jan-13, 12:48 AM
I guess they could have added, "Sunspots viewed from Earth's northern hemisphere appear to move from left to right across the face of the Sun when the person is not standing on their head." :)

This is just one of many issues that could have been eliminated if evolution just had provided us with equatorial mounted necks instead of alt-az...

DaveC426913
2016-Jan-13, 01:13 AM
:rofl:

John Mendenhall
2016-Jan-13, 01:16 AM

LOL. Good one!

John Mendenhall
2016-Jan-13, 01:22 AM
This is just one of many issues that could have been eliminated if evolution just had provided us with equatorial mounted necks instead of alt-az...

And another! Real application: a frame to lie on, mounted equatorily, with binocular supports, and drive for really relaxed observing. 'Course, the neighbors will talk, but what the heck. Just offer them a ride.

Jens
2016-Jan-13, 02:31 AM
Seriously, though, that statement in Wikipedia is understandable, but it's actually not accurate. It would be true if you are standing at the north pole facing the sun, but if you are standing at 1 degree north (which is technically in the northern hemisphere) they will go basically downward. Anyway, I went ahead and changed it. I wonder if someone will undo the edit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_rotation