PDA

View Full Version : Moon Occults Aldebaran - Evening January 19

Centaur
2016-Jan-15, 05:39 PM
The 82% illuminated waxing gibbous Moon will occult (cover) the magnitude +0.9 star Aldebaran in Taurus for observers in most of North America during the evening of Tuesday 2016 JAN 19.

Immersion will occur on the lunar dark limb and emersion on the bright limb. Telescopic observers on a graze path will witness the star winking on and off as hills and valleys pass by. Observers between the two graze paths will see a full occultation.

I’ve created a North American graze map, a set of Besselian elements, and a preview graphic with data ideally for observers at Chicago’s Adler Planetarium. They can be seen by visiting my Occultations webpage at www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

Photos and descriptions of the event would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Romanus
2016-Jan-20, 01:58 AM
Caught my first ever stellar occultation. :) Disappearance here, in San Antonio, TX, was almost exactly 7:53 p.m. CST, give or take 15 seconds. No grazing, so far as I could see.

Centaur
2016-Jan-20, 05:21 PM
Caught my first ever stellar occultation. :) Disappearance here, in San Antonio, TX, was almost exactly 7:53 p.m. CST, give or take 15 seconds. No grazing, so far as I could see.

Thanks for your report. Glad you got to witness the event.

Next month not only Aldebaran, but also a number of stars in the Hyades cluster will be occulted by the Moon for favored North Americans during the night of February 15-16. My Occultations webpage has now been updated for those events: www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html