PDA

View Full Version : Mercury as Winter Morning Star

Centaur
2016-Jan-17, 05:50 AM
Elusive Mercury has commenced its winter morning apparition. In late January Mercury will reach a moderate altitude in the predawn eastern sky for observers north of the tropics. Those to the south will have an even better view.

My detailed article describing this apparition appears under the links for my related graphics at www.CurtRenz.com/mercury.html

Photos and descriptions of Mercury during this apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.

Jerry
2016-Jan-19, 06:43 PM
Very low cloud base today, and forecast for the rest of the month:(

Centaur
2016-Jan-20, 06:31 PM
Very low cloud base today, and forecast for the rest of the month:(

Perhaps by May the sky will clear for you, Jerry. During its next inferior conjunction on 2016 MAY 09, Mercury will transit the Sun. I’ve created charts for observers in various cities demonstrating the apparent path of Mercury across the Sun with horizontal (alt-az) orientation. They can be viewed at www.CurtRenz.com/mertran.html

spjung
2016-Jan-25, 10:30 PM
I want to add, that if can catch Mercury in the next 2 weeks you will also see Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/12/160120-planet-parade-stargazing-astronomy/). The Moon may also make an appearance.