PDA

View Full Version : Where would you go if you could go anywhere

JHotz
2005-Feb-02, 09:00 AM
There are a lot on this website that do not seem to have any motivation for space colonization. Lets try space tourism.

If you had a space suit that could take you anywhere in the solar system and keep you alive there as well as get you back, where would you go.

I would like to see
1. Solar flares
2. Jupiter red spot
3. Io
4. Olympus Mons
5. Jupiter’s core
6. The Mercurial dawn and sunset
7. That triangle on the moon
There are countless others.

Sticks
2005-Feb-02, 02:07 PM
Lundy Island (http://www.lundyisland.co.uk)

And you do not need a space suit

I have been there 3 times

Well it is in the solar system :wink:

kucharek
2005-Feb-02, 02:10 PM
High inclination orbit around Saturn

Argos
2005-Feb-02, 02:17 PM
High inclination orbit around Saturn

...between the planet and the rings.

TriangleMan
2005-Feb-02, 02:20 PM
I've always loved Neptune's color and I think it would be wonderful to be able to orbit it and just stare at it for a few hours.

gethen
2005-Feb-02, 02:25 PM
One of Saturn's moons that would allow me to stand on the surface and see Saturn and its rings looming large overhead. That would be a great sight.

Squink
2005-Feb-02, 02:57 PM
It'd be fun to head due north about 13 billion light years and see if the universe really looks the same in all directions from that vantage point.

Argos
2005-Feb-02, 04:11 PM
Nah, you´re confined to the solar system in this exercise. :)

Ilya
2005-Feb-02, 04:15 PM
There are a lot on this website that do not seem to have any motivation for space colonization. Lets try space tourism.

If you had a space suit that could take you anywhere in the solar system and keep you alive there as well as get you back, where would you go.

Everywhere.

But if you mean "which ONE place would you go to", then my answer is -- right here on Earth. Bottom of the Atlantic, at the mouth of river Congo. It's only 2 kilometers down, so spaceship is not necessary (although sophisticated pressure suit is).

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Feb-02, 05:19 PM
under Europa's ice
on top of Olympus Mons
Iapetus
surface of Titan
surface of Triton
Io
Ganymede
Venus with cold one

skrap1r0n
2005-Feb-02, 05:23 PM
I think I would go hang out in the Kuiper Belt or the oort cloud. I would LOVE to head out about 1 light year away and look back on the solar system.

I'll bet with the oort cloud/kuiper belt, our system appears very Nebula-like from a distance.

Oh and comet surfing would be a hoot.

pghnative
2005-Feb-02, 07:00 PM
I'd check out the Face on Mars

<< runs quickly away >>

JHotz
2005-Feb-02, 07:31 PM

I would like to see
1. Solar flares
2. Jupiter red spot
3. Io
4. Olympus Mons
5. Jupiter’s core
6. The Mercurial dawn and sunset
7. That triangle on the moon
There are countless others.

Lets keep in mind there are millions more places just as exiting that we do not know about.

V-GER
2005-Feb-02, 08:26 PM
All of the moons. Plus I'd like to see what's really, if anything, under Jupiter's clouds, although I'd settle for a probe in that case.

Doodler
2005-Feb-02, 08:32 PM
Far enough out from Earth that I can look back at a blue ball receding in the distance and finally know I'm free of the cradle.

Jorge
2005-Feb-02, 08:52 PM
sedna, i want to see what it is :p, and if it can't be clasified as something we know today, i'de like to pick the name for it

Padawan
2005-Feb-02, 10:25 PM
If you are allowed to travel back into time as well, I would like to see:

Past:
1. The Earth, at creation
2. Venus, at creation
3. The sun lit by the very first fusion reactions

Present:
1. Europa
2. Titan
3. Mars, especially all the Labyrintus Noctis complex
4. Pluto-Charon system

Future:
1. When Triton is gonna plunge into Neptune

...And let's not talk about outside the solar system ;)

Sticks
2005-Feb-02, 10:29 PM
The Apollo landing sites with a decent movie camera and a chance to take some souveniers.

Also the place in the Solar sytem where the ascent module from Apollo 10 (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13911) is drifting, assuming it is still out there and has not crashed or burnt out.

For those in the UK it would make a great Time Team (http://www.channel4.com/history/timeteam) Special :D

Zachary
2005-Feb-02, 10:33 PM
lava surfing on Io would be a blast...

tjm220
2005-Feb-02, 10:56 PM
lava surfing on Io would be a blast...

So would the volcano it came from. :-"

Andromeda321
2005-Feb-03, 12:29 AM
The moon. I'd like to walk in the steps of Neil Armstrong and look down upon the planet Earth. I'm still hoping and planning on doing that one someday...
Somewhere I don't expect to see myself but wouldn't mind nonetheless: around the planet Saturn a few klicks out so I can get all the angles I want (can't pick just one!). The same goes for Jupiter.

um3k
2005-Feb-03, 02:13 AM
Everywhere, from the core of the sun to the heliopause itself.

ChesleyFan
2005-Feb-03, 03:28 AM
I always thought it'd be cool to watch the sunset/sunrise/sunset on Mercury.

One Day More
2005-Feb-03, 03:50 AM
I'd love to see...

First Place planet: Mercury! But only for a short, short time. [-(

The Overcast Today, Yet Again planet...not. Sorry Venus. :-({|=

As for Rusty Dusty Mars I'd love to stand on Phobos and watch Mars rushing by beneath my feet (IIRC, the moon orbits Mars in just 3 hrs, or was it five? I'm sure it's five). AND, I'd love to see Olympus Mons. 8)

If I were able to travel back in time, go to Jupiter to watch Shoemaker Levy 9 impact the planet. Also, stand on the nearest moon to Jupiter, but away from the radiation belt please. [-X Danke.

Definitely check out Saturn's Rings as well...who doesn't? :D

Uranus? The one that's On Its Side? Hmm, well Miranda at least. 8)

The Last gas giant! Padawan: same thing I was going to say! But also, orbit Neptune between the planet itself and the faint rings...whoa look out-Triton! :o

Sorry, the Mysterious World Pluto doesn't figure on my travel plans. At least it has Venus as company :P

P.S. Anyone who can guess what the italics are all about has a good memory! Stumped? Click on my name and you'll see a certain thread I made...but I'm :-$