PDA

View Full Version : Will technolgy save human kind or doom it?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Feb-02, 03:10 PM
another bbp bummer post

so what do you think: will technology save us from things like global warming, thinning ozone and falling rocks from the sky?

or is technology going to doom us because of things we have done to the environment, ie. cfc's and other ozone depleting chemicals/and pollution from automobiles, industry that contributes to such things as global warming, climate change, acid rain, etc...?

teddyv
2005-Feb-02, 03:27 PM
Technology will do neither. It's up to the human's who control the technology. Given our track record it'll probably balance out.

ToSeek
2005-Feb-02, 03:34 PM
What I worry about is someone releasing a killer virus that destroys civilization.

TimH
2005-Feb-02, 04:08 PM
What I worry about is someone releasing a killer virus that destroys civilization.

I think I read that book - two groups form, one in Vegas and one in a Colorado... :wink:

Candy
2005-Feb-02, 06:17 PM
I'm ready to become the Borg, but with some minor modifications. :P

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-02, 07:34 PM
I'm ready to become the Borg, but with some minor modifications. :PWatch the Ghost in the Shell stuff, way cooler cyborgization.

I'm with ToSeek. My biggest concern is a virus released on purpose or an accidental release.

sidmel
2005-Feb-02, 09:20 PM
Seems like a loosing proposition either way. Either we all die or everybody dies but Kevin Bacon... :o

Swift
2005-Feb-02, 09:41 PM
Technology will do neither. It's up to the human's who control the technology. Given our track record it'll probably balance out.
I absolutely agree on both points. I've come to doubt that humans can completely wipe themselves or life off the face of the planet. But we are more than capable of killing off billions of people or just making life that much more miserable for them or the other creatures on Earth. There are a lots of shades of gray between extinction and Utopia, and some of those are very dark shades.

Glom
2005-Feb-02, 10:38 PM
Given the choice between technology and no technology, we're better of with it.

Donnie B.
2005-Feb-03, 12:21 AM
Technology is already saving our lives. Do you really think this planet could sustain its current human population if we were all hunter-gatherers or subsistence farmers?

Madcat
2005-Feb-03, 05:03 AM
I vote that technology saves our bacon all the time, but does so well ahead of the last possible minute. In fact it does so pretty much as it becomes profitable for technology to do so, as dictated by Adam Smith.

(I'll take Adam Smith over Hari Seldon any day.)