PDA

View Full Version : Whose bright idea was this?

Glom
2005-Feb-02, 10:24 PM
The new car registration scheme in Britain works like this. The are two blocks of figures. The first contains four. The first two are letters denoting the region in which the car was registered. The fourth letter denotes the year, while the third is either a 0 or a 5 to denote whether it was registered in the first half or the last half of that year. The final block is three letters as before.

Now here's the problem. There is one region whose two letter designation is NA. All cars registered in the second half of 2001 have the numbers 51 as the third and fourth characters. Therefore all cars registered at this time in this region have a registration that starts NA51. At first glance, this looks like NAZI.

Someone call Nigel Havers. This deserves to go on It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Nicolas
2005-Feb-02, 10:35 PM
Ah well, we live in a wrold where people are willing to pay for a licenseplate with a stupid combination instead of a random one, so maybe it doesn't bother all of them. I personally make other connotations to the "A51" part :)

W.F. Tomba
2005-Feb-02, 10:50 PM
NA51 looks like NASI to me. NA21 would be worse.

Nicolas
2005-Feb-02, 11:05 PM
I also thought about the NASI way of writing it, but still I think you only see it if you want to see it. I think the 5 is different enough from either Z or S. If it had NAZ1, that was something else...IMO.

dgruss23
2005-Feb-03, 12:25 AM
The new car registration scheme in Britain works like this. The are two blocks of figures. The first contains four. The first two are letters denoting the region in which the car was registered. The fourth letter denotes the year, while the third is either a 0 or a 5 to denote whether it was registered in the first half or the last half of that year. The final block is three letters as before.

Now here's the problem. There is one region whose two letter designation is NA. All cars registered in the second half of 2001 have the numbers 51 as the third and fourth characters. Therefore all cars registered at this time in this region have a registration that starts NA51. At first glance, this looks like NAZI.

The state of New York finally wised up about the assignment of license plate numbers. It used to be that the letters at the start of the license number would help identify the county. For example, if you lived in Broome county you were given a license number that started with B.

One time my father went to a high school basketball game at a neighboring county. His school's team (the visitors) won the game - and when he went out to the car he found the back window smashed.* It was easy to identify his car as likely in support of the visitors team because of the first letters on the license plate.

Now NY state distributes plates where they're needed as they make them. Its no longer possible to identify county from the plate.

*Funny story about the repair of the window, but I think I'll move it to another thread titled "Funny repair stories" because others may have interesting repair stories to share.

Argos
2005-Feb-03, 12:37 AM
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blpic-marthaplates.htm

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-03, 01:24 AM
Hmm, our plates have the county's name as a sticker along the bottom. If you move, you get a new sticker.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-03, 04:17 PM
Therefore all cars registered at this time in this region have a registration that starts NA51. At first glance, this looks like NAZI.
You probably should see an optometrist. :)

Rue
2005-Feb-03, 05:05 PM
You probably should see an optometrist. :)

Not a good thing to say to a pilot.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-03, 05:09 PM
you don't know the half of it :)

kucharek
2005-Feb-03, 05:27 PM
In Germany, car license plates have first a group of letters which denote the city or district of the registartion. Capitals of federal countries have one letter, like S for Stuttgart or M for Munich, larger cities have two letters like KA for Karlsruhe and some smaller or rural areas have three letters.
Then there is a group of one or two arbitrary letzters and then a number with up to four digits. There is a regulation that the middle group of letters is not allowed to be some stuff that is known from the Nazi era. You can't get combinations like NS, HJ, SA, SS, KZ.

Harald

Gmann
2005-Feb-03, 05:47 PM
The state of Tennessee used to have a number identifying the County the car was registered in. I have noticed lately that plates from TN aren't like that anymore. Maybe they changed it so the locals wouldn't spot a visitor from another part of the state so easily, "You ain't from around here, are ya, boy?" The conversation usually degraded into something unpleasant from that point.

Doodler
2005-Feb-03, 05:55 PM
Can't beat the series of Georgia plates that had to be pulled a few years ago. They use a random 3 letters followed by 3 sequential numbers.

The random generator came up with FAT. Minor uproar ensued. :)

Wally
2005-Feb-03, 07:11 PM
When I moved back to Michigan, my randomly allotted license plate was a zero, followed by 'DD. In other words:

0DD xxx (actually, the zero looks a heck of a lot more like an 'O' on the plate than it does here. . . :) )

My ex-wife, having been born and raised in the town of Normal Illinois, ordered a vanity plate of NRML xxx.

Guess it was cute at the time. . . :-?

paulie jay
2005-Feb-04, 01:38 AM
In Australia in the late 1960s Chrysler had a series of cars called the Valiant.
There was the VC Valiant, but when the next model came out they decided to skip ahead to the VE Valiant...

Fram
2005-Feb-04, 10:19 AM
In Belgium, license plates follow the 3 letters, 3 numbers system. There are rules that a whole range of 3 letter combinations are not allowed, like your four letter words, political parties, or religious terms. Of course some political parties only appeared or changed their name after the letters were used on cars, so that rule is a bit void.
You can have vanity plates as long as you stick to the pattern, so that doesn't give that much choice, although I've seen already a FAN 911 on a Porsche, and a BMW 320 on a, yep, you guessed it.
The strangest license plate I've ever seen on a Belgian car was one that read EZS 666. Not only does EZS sounds strangely like SS, and is 666 for some people a Satanic number, but 666 in Dutch rhymes with SS (zes zes zes), and EZS is an anagram for 6. I don't know if it was coincidence or a vanity plate, but it was very strange. :evil:

captain swoop
2005-Feb-04, 10:36 AM
In the UK there is a thriving trade in license plates that have unusal combinations. As the plate belongs to the car you have to pay a fee to get it transfered by the DVLA. In fact the Licensing people themselves will sell you a plate, you can order special combinations for a new car.

For instance Jimmy Tarbuck a well known UK comedian has the reg COM1C and Paul Daniels a TV magician has MAG1C.

I got my own personal plate at very little expense by having my name changed to W325 AGC :D

ToSeek
2005-Feb-04, 02:49 PM
In the UK there is a thriving trade in license plates that have unusal combinations. As the plate belongs to the car you have to pay a fee to get it transfered by the DVLA. In fact the Licensing people themselves will sell you a plate, you can order special combinations for a new car.

That's a common practice in the US as well, though since license plates are issued by the states, each state has its own policy (and its own fee). Some states make it a lot easier than others.

§rv
2005-Feb-04, 08:02 PM
Down here, as it is a small country, there is no need to state what part you are from. All private cars start with P and the other two letters and 4 numbers are to show how new it is. Example, currently, the latest licence plate is in the PBU region. The next set would be PBW (because PBV looks like PBU) then PBX, PBY, PBZ then PCA. It would be cool though, to have a BMW with licence plate PBW. :lol:

Argos
2005-Feb-05, 12:50 PM
In Brazil, licences are of the format AAA-9999. You can have interesting combinations: SOL, LUA, NGC, ISS... People pay an extra fee to get the cool sets of characters. You could have a BMW-0001, as someone certainly does.

Kizarvexis
2005-Feb-05, 02:33 PM
The state of Tennessee used to have a number identifying the County the car was registered in. I have noticed lately that plates from TN aren't like that anymore. Maybe they changed it so the locals wouldn't spot a visitor from another part of the state so easily, "You ain't from around here, are ya, boy?" The conversation usually degraded into something unpleasant from that point.

Florida used to give out a set number scheme to car rental agencies, but when thieves started using that to target vistors it was stopped. Florida also used to have the county name stamped on the bottom of the tag, but they stopped that as well so as to not identify vistors from another part of the state, which also made it harder to spot someone who rented a car to drive around the state.

Kizarvexis

tjm220
2005-Feb-07, 10:13 PM
In Brazil, licences are of the format AAA-9999. You can have interesting combinations: SOL, LUA, NGC, ISS... People pay an extra fee to get the cool sets of characters. You could have a BMW-0001, as someone certainly does.

Or an NCC-1701 :P

Nicolas
2005-Feb-07, 10:15 PM
an sts-0060 8) :D

Argos
2005-Feb-08, 01:22 PM

Thatīs cool (http://starwrecked.com/content/papers/page2/1024/star-trek-NCC-1701.jpg). :)

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-08, 02:36 PM

NGC 3314 (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/astro/hst_ngc3314_0014.jpg) would be nice too. :)

Argos
2005-Feb-08, 02:54 PM

NGC 3314 (http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/astro/hst_ngc3314_0014.jpg) would be nice too. :)

Really...

As for the NCC-1701 licence, I just found out (from Brazilian blogs) that the head of the Brazilian chapter of the Star Trek Fan Club has got it.

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-09, 04:57 PM
The state of Tennessee used to have a number identifying the County the car was registered in. I have noticed lately that plates from TN aren't like that anymore. Maybe they changed it so the locals wouldn't spot a visitor from another part of the state so easily, "You ain't from around here, are ya, boy?" The conversation usually degraded into something unpleasant from that point.I guess my post (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=409807#409807) should have said which state. #-o

Tennessee has decided to take it easy for the ones who can't figure out how to read a table. We've got stickers IDing the county. Move and you get a new sticker. I guess it's cheaper than stamping out a new plate. I grew up in county 26.

Don’t know if it's for the chop shops to ID which car they should steal or the cops to decide which ones to ticket when there's no out of state plates around and the end of the month is getting close. (Noooo, there's no ticket quota here, it's only a coincidence that the number of people pulled over is proportional to how close it is to the end of the month.)

ngc3314
2005-Mar-08, 07:46 PM

Oh, where was I when this thread came around? Anyway, I'm just testing to put a little picture in my sig file... (we'll all see whether it works). Just paid to get my "Save the Saturn V" license plate for next year. Sadly, these plates allow only 6 characters for personalization, and N3314 just doesn't have the same punch no matter how big a directory tree I have by that name.

Klausnh
2005-Mar-08, 07:59 PM
vanity license plates (http://www-chaos.umd.edu/misc/origplates.html)