PDA

View Full Version : NASA science highlights for 2004

ToSeek
2005-Feb-03, 06:01 PM
Science Year in Review (http://www.astrobio.net/news/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 1426&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

The 2004 list of NASA science milestones highlight the search for water on Mars and the first lander to reach the moon on another planet. The successes of robotic explorers returned stunning images from the surface of distant worlds.
10. Genesis: In the End
9. Venus: Sizing Up the Solar System
8. Mars Remote
7. Mysterious Mars Methane
6. Planetoids Beyond Pluto
5. Catching a Comet
4. Spirit on the Lake
3. New Worlds, Living Large
2. Clash of the Titans
1. Opportunity Knocks

cid
2005-Feb-03, 06:08 PM
See point 10 ? See it ? Where there is water, there is life and also subterranean monorails - finally it is proven, that woo-woos are right.

just kidding ... guess i'll better write this out, just to be sure.
Interesting page, thanks for the link, i like best-ofs :)

Doodler
2005-Feb-03, 06:16 PM
I'd call #10 "Victory pulled from the jaws of Defeat". To think they're going to succeed in spite of the crash is awesome.

Kaptain K
2005-Feb-03, 08:33 PM
#10 = money saving idea - Don't bother with expensive re-entry systems and parachutes. Just build it rugged, crash it and dig it out of the ground! :o

ToSeek
2005-Feb-03, 09:13 PM
#10 = money saving idea - Don't bother with expensive re-entry systems and parachutes. Just build it rugged, crash it and dig it out of the ground! :o

Word is for a Mars sample return mission they might do exactly that, since the planetary protection requirements will require that the return capsule be able to withstand that sort of impact, anyway.