PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter Opposite Sun - Two Shadows Occulted - March 7-8

Centaur
2016-Mar-01, 01:46 AM
Jupiter will be in opposition to the Sun on 2016 MAR 08 at 10:56 UT (04:56 CST) when it will be above the horizon all night. During that night (evening of MAR 07 in the Americas, predawn MAR 08 in Europe) there will occur some unusual events involving two of Jupiterís great Galilean satellites and their shadows. Io and Europa will be simultaneously in transit across the disk of Jupiter. They will be partially occulting their own shadows, which is only possible at the time of opposition.

Iíve created preview graphics for these events and much more related to Jupiter that can be viewed on my Jupiter webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter.html

Photos and descriptions of Jupiter and its Galilean satellites would be welcome additions to this thread.

Centaur
2016-Mar-07, 03:07 PM
Tonightís the night!

My timetable for tonightís Galilean satellite and shadow events is now available on my Jupiter webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter.html

Hornblower
2016-Mar-08, 01:21 AM
I looked a few minutes ago with my Celestron 8 at 156x and could not see either transiting moon which is no surprise. Jupiter is very low, with high thin cirrus clouds. I will look again as Europa approaches the limb about 35 minutes from now. Limb darkening may make it stand out before emergence.

Hornblower
2016-Mar-08, 02:10 AM
I got fleeting glimpses of Europa about 8:54 EST as it approached the limb, and it was a sure thing by 8:58, a minute after the calculated emergence time. The sky was clearer but the seeing had become worse. I will look for Io a few minutes before its 9:43 emergence.

Hornblower
2016-Mar-08, 02:53 AM
By 9:43 the high thin clouds had returned, but improved seeing made Io a beautiful sight on the limb.

Once again, with my rebuilt eyes I am seeing sights like this much better than I could a year ago.

Centaur
2016-Mar-08, 04:13 AM
By 9:43 the high thin clouds had returned, but improved seeing made Io a beautiful sight on the limb.

Once again, with my rebuilt eyes I am seeing sights like this much better than I could a year ago.

Thanks for your fine reports, Hornblower. I'm glad that your eye surgery has been so helpful. Here in Chicagoland the problem tonight was not with clouds in our eyes but the clouds in our sky. The same pair will transit together after waits of slightly more than a week from now through April 12, so we'll all have more chances.

EDIT: My Jupiter webpage has now been updated to included graphics for the dual Galilean satellite transits with shadows during the evening of March 14: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter.html