PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Car Gets 1800 MPG

sarongsong
2005-Feb-04, 01:56 AM
"...Hysun 3000 (http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/102941.html), presented at the recent Fuel Cell Congress in Stuttgart, drove from Berlin to Barcelona..."We wanted to subject the car to the demands of normal driving, with unpredictable weather, temperature and traffic conditions"..."
http://www.hysun.de/news/pics/DSC01000.jpg

Andrew
2005-Feb-04, 03:22 AM
Apples and oranges.

They say it's equivalent to 12 litres of petrol, so it's actual gas-mileage is around 150mpg. But then again, look at the car. It's a single-occupant vehicle apparently designed solely for fuel efficiency, not practicality. Scaled up to a proper passenger vehicle, you would probably see a lot less efficiency. And then, what amount of petroleum hydrocarbons were burnt creating the fuel?

Tuckerfan
2005-Feb-04, 03:22 AM
It looks a lot like the GM Lean Machine concept car. Totally cool, but utterly impractical for most of us. That sucker's like a tiny little slot car. Can you imagine trying to drive that on the interstate surrounded by semi's and SUVs? :o

aurora
2005-Feb-04, 05:13 AM
It looks a lot like the GM Lean Machine concept car. Totally cool, but utterly impractical for most of us. That sucker's like a tiny little slot car. Can you imagine trying to drive that on the interstate surrounded by semi's and SUVs? :o

Yes, it would be about the size of a motorcycle.

sarongsong
2005-Feb-04, 05:55 AM
For putting this together in their spare time, it's a pretty impressive start, it seems to me.

2005-Feb-04, 06:20 AM
They say it's equivalent to 12 litres of petrol, so it's actual gas-mileage is around 150mpg.
How do you figure?

1800 miles per 12 liters of petrol is 150 miles/liter.

W.F. Tomba
2005-Feb-04, 07:03 AM
I don't understand what they mean when they say it's "equivalent to 12 liters of petrol." Are they really saying that's how much this car would burn in 1800 miles if it had a regular internal combustion engine? From the context, it sounds like they're trying to express how much more efficient their car is than other fuel cell cars, so I wonder if they mean that for a fuel cell car to drive as far as they did on the amount of fuel they used is the equivalent of a gasoline car driving the same distance on only 12 liters. These two interpretations may add up to the same thing, but only if the efficiency of their car is entirely due to its smallness, rather than the design of its engine.

Am I making sense here? It's hard to articulate this.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-04, 09:52 AM
maybe they're are just talking about calorie content

Andrew
2005-Feb-04, 02:42 PM
How do you figure?

1800 miles per 12 liters of petrol is 150 miles/liter.
Oops. I wasn't paying much attention.

Gmann
2005-Feb-04, 02:53 PM
I say, sit back and watch. Although the car itself is fairly impractical, it looks like promising start (assuming that this isn't Bovine Digestive Biomass to begin with). Give them a chance to develop their system into something more practical, and see what kind of performance figures come from it. They just might be on to something.

pghnative
2005-Feb-04, 07:06 PM
Certainly any article that describes a quantity of hydrogen as X number of gallons is not terribly scientific.

By the way, where is the reference to 12 L of petrol. That isn't in the story when I open the link. Has the story been changed??

W.F. Tomba
2005-Feb-04, 07:17 PM
Certainly any article that describes a quantity of hydrogen as X number of gallons is not terribly scientific.

By the way, where is the reference to 12 L of petrol. That isn't in the story when I open the link. Has the story been changed??

It's still there.

"We have achieved a world record distance using hydrogen," said Hysun spokesman Joerg Schweigard.
"A fuel cell driven car has never traveled this far on public streets with such low fuel consumption - the equivalent of twelve liters of petrol."

pghnative
2005-Feb-04, 07:28 PM

It's still there.

"We have achieved a world record distance using hydrogen," said Hysun spokesman Joerg Schweigard.
"A fuel cell driven car has never traveled this far on public streets with such low fuel consumption - the equivalent of twelve liters of petrol."

Well, there goes my "reading comprehension" test score.... :oops: :oops:

mutant
2005-Feb-04, 07:28 PM
Hmmm. If that thing can tow my boat I might be interested.

Maddad
2005-Feb-04, 10:28 PM
They say it's equivalent to 12 litres of petrol, so it's actual gas-mileage is around 150mpg.How do you figure? 1800 miles per 12 liters of petrol is 150 miles/liter.Since there are about four liters in a gallon, that's about 600 miles per gallon. Pretty impressive, even if it does look so strange that I'd never want to drive it.

sarongsong
2005-Feb-05, 02:21 AM
...and don't let this guy (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15150907&method=full&siteid=89488&head line=the-man-who-drinks-petrol-name_page.html) anywhere near! :o

Glom
2005-Feb-05, 04:30 PM
He might like a bit of the cryogenic stuff on a hot summer's day.