PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Anime?

SkepticJ
2016-Mar-02, 02:57 AM
Maybe I was lucky, growing up in the "Toonami generation" and being exposed to some extremely good, fun, exciting fictional animated universes. People my age had Macross Plus, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Big O, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex . . .

What good anime exists now? Everything I've tried to watch since around 2006 has given me an allergic reaction. It all seems to be terrible. It's either insufferably twee, overly melodramatic (like it was written by emo teenagers that are writing hacks), unimaginative in art direction, cliched stories, and/or has elements that are engineered to appeal to . . . how can I put it on this forum? Perverts.

John Mendenhall
2016-Mar-02, 04:46 AM
Maybe I was lucky, growing up in the "Toonami generation" and being exposed to some extremely good, fun, exciting fictional animated universes. People my age had Macross Plus, Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Big O, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex . . .

What good anime exists now? Everything I've tried to watch since around 2006 has given me an allergic reaction. It all seems to be terrible. It's either insufferably twee, overly melodramatic (like it was written by emo teenagers that are writing hacks), unimaginative in art direction, cliched stories, and/or has elements that are engineered to appeal to . . . how can I put it on this forum? Perverts.

Your summary of the situation is correct. Donna and I will not deal in Anime in our shop for other than a few trusted adult customers, and even then there are ones we will not handle. We don't have the time to go thru the stuff a page at a time to make sure there isn't something horrific hidden in it. The kocal Barnes and Nonle has 45 feet of shelves 5 fett high of Anime. They're going to get burned.

Hm, that's observation, theory,and predistion. Now we'll see what happens.

jokergirl
2016-Mar-02, 01:29 PM
I haven't found anything I would really recommend to people for a while either.

A while ago people were raving on about an anime called Attack on Titan; I checked it out and found it rather meh. Bad computer effects, uninteresting characters and the story felt rather done a million times, nude giant cannibalistic monsters notwithstanding.
I have been looking through a few anime on (and produced for) Netflix, but nothing so far has gotten more than a passing grade from me.

But if you find something new worth watching, let me know. I am interested.

Noclevername
2016-Mar-02, 01:38 PM
Anime is a huge multiverse, and we in the US only get exposed to a very limited cross-section of it via mainstream media. Much of what we get on Toonami and other media sources is extended toy/game advertising (Pokémon, etc). But that's largely true of American animation as well.

There's a lot more out there of tremendously varied quality and type (yes a lot of it is written by/for "perverts", buyer beware and get parents' approval and so forth). A lot more is aimed at a primarily Japanese audience and sometimes cultural translation does not always carry over well.

Gillianren
2016-Mar-02, 04:00 PM
I hear the reports of Miyazaki's retirement may have been exaggerated. By him, but still. And this year's Oscar nominee from Studio Ghibli, When Marnie Was There, is quite good.

KaiYeves
2016-Mar-02, 05:55 PM
A friend of mine is very into sports-themed anime and posts a lot about that on Tumblr. I'm not one for sports stories, but it is a genre I wasn't aware was so big in that medium. (I would like to find this manga about mountain climbing, though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Summit_of_the_Gods )

Romanus
2016-Mar-04, 02:10 PM
I think most anime and manga has *always* been terrible; what becomes popular in the West is the cream of the crop. What we're seeing, IMO, is simply increasing access to both bad and good anime, with the bad anime making more of an impression. Sturgeon's Law in action.

In sum: What Noclevername already wrote.

korjik
2016-Mar-04, 04:37 PM
You assumption that there has ever been 'good anime' is highly suspect....

:)

Gillianren
2016-Mar-04, 04:57 PM
Oh, nonsense. The film Roger Ebert called "the greatest anti-war film ever made" is an anime. Anime routinely gets nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, despite the category's being dominated by American films for the most part. There is plenty of good anime out there, and claiming there isn't just proves a lack of familiarity with the animation of Japan--which is all the word means.

Hieda no Akyuu
2016-Mar-04, 07:25 PM
I think you're a bit too hard on today's anime. There's been quite a few good anime that have come out since then, such as K-ON, Steins;Gate, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It's not that the quality of anime has declined, its that the vast majority anime is the entertainment equivalent of junk food, just like any other form of entertainment. It's works like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Serial Experiments Lain, 2001: A Space Oddesey, Evangelion (The original one), X-Files, and others like them that are and will be remembered, not the latest generic sitcoms, romcoms, or certain overrated glorified toy commercials.

grant hutchison
2016-Mar-04, 07:36 PM
Oh, nonsense. The film Roger Ebert called "the greatest anti-war film ever made" is an anime. Anime routinely gets nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, despite the category's being dominated by American films for the most part. There is plenty of good anime out there, and claiming there isn't just proves a lack of familiarity with the animation of Japan--which is all the word means.I agree. Even I have seen some good anime, and I'm someone who tends to avoid animation, generally.

Grant Hutchison

Gillianren
2016-Mar-04, 08:37 PM
Out of curiosity, Grant, what anime have you liked?

grant hutchison
2016-Mar-04, 09:14 PM
Out of curiosity, Grant, what anime have you liked?Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies. Wasn't that taken with Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

Grant Hutchison

Solfe
2016-Mar-05, 12:28 AM
Appleseed. The first one, not the remake. That made me dizzy.

Edit - the kid in me really liked Area 88. I've never seen them in English. I wonder what that would be like?

CJSF
2016-Mar-05, 12:38 AM
After two episodes of Steins Gate, I had to give up, but I hear a lot of others praise it. I think anime has ALWAYS been "hit or miss" with US audiences.

CJSF

Gillianren
2016-Mar-05, 01:56 AM
Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies. Wasn't that taken with Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

Akira and Ghost in the Shell definitely require you to be into their genre, and I don't mean anime. But yeah, Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies are good.

korjik
2016-Mar-05, 03:13 AM
Oh, nonsense. The film Roger Ebert called "the greatest anti-war film ever made" is an anime. Anime routinely gets nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar, despite the category's being dominated by American films for the most part. There is plenty of good anime out there, and claiming there isn't just proves a lack of familiarity with the animation of Japan--which is all the word means.

Smile means joke Gillianren. I dislike the style. I wont admit to a real familiarity, but neither am I ignorant of the genre. I have friends who have been trying for a couple of decades to get me to watch anime, and I do try to watch. I just really really dont like it.

Gillianren
2016-Mar-05, 06:40 AM
Smile means joke Gillianren.

"Joke" implies funny.

SkepticJ
2016-Mar-06, 02:09 AM
There's been quite a few good anime that have come out since then, such as K-ON, Steins;Gate, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

You're proving my point.

Just looked them up and the art styles are insufferably twee--gives me hives. That's the nicest thing I can say. The characters are a bunch of middle or high school girls? Oh [Venus] no!

I'm looking for the opposite of this.

It's not that the quality of anime has declined . . .

Possibly, but it doesn't seem to be borne out by the available evidence. All the anime that I mentioned in the OP was produced during a span of 11 years: 1994-2005. I haven't seen one good new series in ten years*. I've certainly seen great anime that was made before '94--the '80s made some great ones. I don't know how else to account for it other than anime quality did indeed take a serious nose-dive after the mid '00s.

I mean of course series, not movies. Studio Ghibli obviously still makes great films.

*No, it can't be nostalgia-goggles, because I own a few of those listed, and still re-watch them on occasion. I even have the soundtracks to Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C.--the music is that great.

Noclevername
2016-Mar-06, 05:07 AM
Just looked them up and the art styles are insufferably twee--gives me hives. That's the nicest thing I can say. The characters are a bunch of middle or high school girls? Oh [Venus] no!

So what you're saying is that your own favorite styles of anime were formed during that time period, you got used to it, and now times have changed.

Solfe
2016-Mar-06, 07:08 AM
So what you're saying is that your own favorite styles of anime were formed during that time period, you got used to it, and now times have changed.

I don't know about SkepticJ, but I would say that applies to me. I like my old Bubble Gum Crisis and Appleseed.

SkepticJ
2016-Mar-06, 07:43 AM
Shhh, you can't say that! Some things aren't better than other things.

Breaking Bad and My Little Pony are equivalent; it's all down to different but equally-valid tastes.

Anyone who complains about the lack of any Breaking Bad in a My Little Pony world is just living in the past.

Noclevername
2016-Mar-06, 10:51 AM
Shhh, you can't say that! Some things aren't better than other things.

Breaking Bad and My Little Pony are equivalent; it's all down to different but equally-valid tastes.

Anyone who complains about the lack of any Breaking Bad in a My Little Pony world is just living in the past.

Ah, such a convincingly well-reasoned argument.

Some things are subjective, and some aren't. This is one of the areas that's very subjective.

SkepticJ
2016-Mar-06, 08:29 PM
Ah, such a convincingly well-reasoned argument.

Some things are subjective, and some aren't. This is one of the areas that's very subjective.

What makes anime any different in this regard than live-action shows, movies, novels etc.? If 99.75% of all novels were Twilight, if all movies looked like they were made by Michael Bay, if all TV was Full House would you just chalk it up to subjectivity or would you be irritated?

grant hutchison
2016-Mar-06, 09:06 PM
What makes anime any different in this regard than live-action shows, movies, novels etc.? If 99.75% of all novels were Twilight, if all movies looked like they were made by Michael Bay, if all TV was Full House would you just chalk it up to subjectivity or would you be irritated?The only way that would happen would be if everyone liked the same thing. Which they don't. At which point subjectivity creeps in.
You can argue productively (sometimes) about whether something is well-executed or not, since there are (fairly) objective criteria about good writing and good film-making. But I've seen well-made, critically acclaimed and successful films that just aren't to my taste. They're clearly to someone's taste though.

Grant Hutchison

KaiYeves
2016-Mar-06, 09:08 PM
What makes anime any different in this regard than live-action shows, movies, novels etc.? If 99.75% of all novels were Twilight, if all movies looked like they were made by Michael Bay, if all TV was Full House would you just chalk it up to subjectivity or would you be irritated?

Hey! Full House is way better than Twilight or Michael Bay movies!

Noclevername
2016-Mar-06, 11:58 PM
What makes anime any different in this regard than live-action shows, movies, novels etc.?

Nothing.

Noclevername
2016-Mar-07, 12:05 AM
If 99.75% of all novels were Twilight, if all movies looked like they were made by Michael Bay, if all TV was Full House would you just chalk it up to subjectivity or would you be irritated?

"I don't like apple juice. What if every juice was apple?"

grant hutchison
2016-Mar-07, 12:26 AM
I used to love apple juice. Why don't they make proper apple juice any more? 99.75% of this new stuff just isn't like the old stuff at all.

Grant Hutchison

Jens
2016-Mar-07, 12:28 AM
I also like a lot of the Ghibli stuff. Maybe Totoro is my favorite. But there are also some really good anime that are only broadcast on TV, and I think they are a bit tough to understand outside the Japanese cultural context. Like Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko-chan, and Crayon Shin-chan. They're sort of like the Peanuts genre in English. But they're old as well.

By the way, I was reading the Japanese Wikipedia page and it says that in English, people pronounce it like ey-nim or Ah-nim. Is that really true? It's supposed to be Ah-knee-may.

Noclevername
2016-Mar-07, 12:29 AM
By the way, I was reading the Japanese Wikipedia page and it says that in English, people pronounce it like ey-nim or Ah-nim. Is that really true? It's supposed to be Ah-knee-may.

I've only ever heard it pronounced Ah-ni-may.

grant hutchison
2016-Mar-07, 12:42 AM
By the way, I was reading the Japanese Wikipedia page and it says that in English, people pronounce it like ey-nim or Ah-nim. Is that really true? It's supposed to be Ah-knee-may.I've heard "a-neem". But people laughed. Always "ah-knee-may" in these parts, equal stress on each syllable.

Grant Hutchison

Solfe
2016-Mar-07, 12:45 AM
Nothing.

What I object to in new productions is the change in styles. They still hearken back to the stuff of the 80's, but with digital technologies they aren't the "wham" scenes that they used to be. I am still processing what I have seen of Trigun and Attack on Titan. I am pretty sure I like the first but not the second. It must be a theme/story thing, because nothing really stands out to me as "objectionable" in the implementation of either. One is basically comedy and the other is tragedy, maybe I don't like the second.

On the other hand, Appleseed OAV (1988) was better than the 2004 production. Basically, it was the staccato presentation in the 2004 film that bother me more than the change of the plot and story.

On another subject, obtainment is sure easier than it used to be. Netflix has a ton, but sadly it is hard to sort out what is worth watching. I have heard Planetes is great but can't find a copy.

SkepticJ
2016-Mar-07, 01:08 AM
There's a lot more out there of tremendously varied quality and type . . .

Getting back to a potentially productive line of conversation, do you have specific series recommendations?

e.g. where you would hear a song that is this good? https://youtu.be/03qBqP2I4p8

Noclevername
2016-Mar-07, 02:21 AM
Getting back to a potentially productive line of conversation, do you have specific series recommendations?

e.g. where you would hear a song that is this good? https://youtu.be/03qBqP2I4p8

I don't watch much anime and my tastes are, as far as I can tell, not shared by many. I'm not up on what's contemporary.

KaiYeves
2016-Mar-07, 06:49 AM

Same. My mother amusingly pronounced it "Anna May" for a while, as if it were a girl's name.

publiusr
2016-Mar-12, 06:10 PM
Same. My mother amusingly pronounced it "Anna May" for a while, as if it were a girl's name.

Actually--that might be closer to being right--it sounding like "ANA-may"

And "MAHN-gha"

KaiYeves
2016-Mar-12, 07:39 PM
Actually--that might be closer to being right--it sounding like "ANA-may"

And "MAHN-gha"
It's closer, but she said it with the pause, as if it were two separate words.

Solfe
2016-Mar-12, 10:58 PM
Penny: Anime. You know, I knew a girl in high school named Anna May. Anna May Fletcher. She was born with one nostril. Then she had this bad nose job and basically wound up with three.

Elukka
2016-Mar-13, 06:03 PM
You're proving my point.

I'm looking for the opposite of this.
We probably have similar opinions. To try and put it in a less subjective way: There's a set of tropes endemic to anime (including the things you mentioned), I really don't like those particular tropes, and currently almost all anime is all about them. I say almost because I don't know all anime, but I can say all recent anime I've heard of fits the bill.

StupendousMan
2016-Mar-13, 08:34 PM
Two suggestions for recent anime, which are currently being broadcast on Japanese TV, but are also available for US viewers on "Crunchyroll:"

1. "Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju" tells the story of a pair of young men in the 1940s and 1950s who apprentice themselves to a master of the traditional Japanese story-telling art of rakugo. The two young men are very different, but each appreciates the art in his own way, and each is driven to perfect his skill. Each episode contains extracts or entire routines of rakugo. There are no high school hijinks, no busty females, no short skirts, no giant robots. Just two ordinary young guys with dreams for a somewhat common future.

The above is in some ways like a novel for adults. If you'd prefer something with a bit more pop and flash, consider

2. "Boku dake ga inai machi", called "Erased" in the English translation on Crunchyroll, though "The town from which I alone am missing" is more faithful. A young man is thrown back into his childhood, to a time just before one of his elementary-school classmates was murdered by a serial killer. His adult mind and memories, inside his 11-year-old body, struggle to find a way to save her. There's a bit of magic involved, but not in the form of super powers or spaceships or aliens; instead, in a certain special circumstance, he is able to rewind the clock of time slightly after a traumatic event, so that he might try to alter the future.

There are moments of humor, but this is really a psychological thriller. Who is the killer -- is it someone that Satoru knows? Will his friends and mother catch on the fact that he has 30 years of memories and experience?

starcanuck64
2016-Apr-15, 11:35 PM
I'm watching the Ajin: Demi Human anime series on Netflix now, it's not too bad. I haven't watched too much anime before so I don't have a lot of expectations. The artwork seems very nice and the story is interesting after about 5 episodes. I think there is 13 in all, quite short.

publiusr
2016-Apr-16, 05:38 PM
I wonder if One-Punch Man will air on Toonami

Solfe
2016-Apr-19, 02:25 AM
Two suggestions for recent anime, which are currently being broadcast on Japanese TV, but are also available for US viewers on "Crunchyroll:"

1. "Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju" tells the story of a pair of young men in the 1940s and 1950s who apprentice themselves to a master of the traditional Japanese story-telling art of rakugo. The two young men are very different, but each appreciates the art in his own way, and each is driven to perfect his skill. Each episode contains extracts or entire routines of rakugo. There are no high school hijinks, no busty females, no short skirts, no giant robots. Just two ordinary young guys with dreams for a somewhat common future.

The above is in some ways like a novel for adults. If you'd prefer something with a bit more pop and flash, consider

2. "Boku dake ga inai machi", called "Erased" in the English translation on Crunchyroll, though "The town from which I alone am missing" is more faithful. A young man is thrown back into his childhood, to a time just before one of his elementary-school classmates was murdered by a serial killer. His adult mind and memories, inside his 11-year-old body, struggle to find a way to save her. There's a bit of magic involved, but not in the form of super powers or spaceships or aliens; instead, in a certain special circumstance, he is able to rewind the clock of time slightly after a traumatic event, so that he might try to alter the future.

There are moments of humor, but this is really a psychological thriller. Who is the killer -- is it someone that Satoru knows? Will his friends and mother catch on the fact that he has 30 years of memories and experience?

I'm going to check these out. They sound pretty neat.

Clever** pretty much forced me to go out and purchase a copy of Appleseed. My copy was on VHS and a copy of a copy at that. I can't seem to find my VHS machine, which places me one step ahead of my best friend who has the entire Robotech series record off TV on to beta. :)

If you watch Amazon.com for a bit, you can pick up used DVDs for a pittance. I am pretty sure I paid $3.95 for Appleseed and 4.95 in shipping. Not optimal, but I think I paid $20 bucks for a copy of a bad copy of a VHS tape of the same show in the 1990s. That and a bunch of Mystery Science Theater tapes recorded off TV because whatever TV station that showed them wasn't available in my area.

Strange how back in the 1990s it was trivial to find people hundreds of miles away to make tapes for you. Now-a-days, people get all jazzed when they can't watch Game of Thrones on the internet without breaking the law or hammering in a credit card for HBO on demand. Jesus, just pick preferred legal issue.*

*This will be the death of me because I have a tendency to hammer in credit card information on whim and my wife's policy about my allowance includes cruel and unusual punishment, unlike most legal jurisdictions. I don't have or do X because my wife's policies trump laws in all jurisdictions!

**I am not sure if I like "Clever" because "NoCleverName" is too long but actually too clever by far not to reference. I tried "N'clever'n" but that does show the proper amount of respect. (I have a policy of one smilie per post, but there could be one here too.)

Noclevername
2016-Apr-19, 02:55 AM
**I am not sure if I like "Clever" because "NoCleverName" is too long but actually too clever by far not to reference. I tried "N'clever'n" but that does show the proper amount of respect. (I have a policy of one smilie per post, but there could be one here too.)

Most people either go with NCN or "Clev".

Solfe
2016-Apr-19, 03:06 AM
Most people either go with NCN or "Clev".

I am prepping for a test, which means lots of moonshine. I can almost think in Japanese at the moment, which is odd, because I know exactly 3 words and none of them are "I am Groot.".

I think I like Clev, but you really do have the best handle.

SkepticJ
2016-Jul-24, 08:56 PM
Finally! There's a new watchable anime series: One-Punch Man

It's a hilarious send-up of the superhero genre.

SkepticJ
2016-Nov-06, 09:19 PM
Finally! There's a new watchable anime series: One-Punch Man

It's a hilarious send-up of the superhero genre.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stay hilarious. Only the first few episodes are really, really funny, then it gets less and less so as the season goes on.

SkepticJ
2017-Mar-20, 12:16 AM
I've been watching Gundam Unicorn for a couple of months and so far it gets a thumbs up. It feels like old-school Gundam: it's set in the Universal Century timeline, and the art direction looks a lot like that from the late '70s-'80s. I wouldn't call it great, though; it's no Gundam: War in the Pocket.

SkepticJ
2017-Mar-20, 12:25 AM
Children Who Chase Lost Voices is pretty good, too. It feels a lot like a Studio Ghibli film.

There is a really big plot hole that hurt my enjoyment of it; they should've patched it over.

CJSF
2017-Mar-20, 01:21 AM
I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Seven Deadly Sins. It took me a short while to warm up to season 1, and I ended up loving it, in spite of its flaws. Diane is probably my favorite.

CJSF

SkepticJ
2017-Jun-21, 05:01 AM
Lupin the III is back, baby! Yeah!

BigDon
2017-Jun-23, 03:58 PM
Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies. Wasn't that taken with Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

Grant Hutchison

I found Spirited Away haunting. Never saw Akira or even heard of Grave of The Fireflies.

With Ghost In The Shell I had already been a referee for Shadowrun games for years so I was familiar with the heavily cybered. I even stole some concepts from the show to use in the games.

"Dude! The company that makes, (insert vital component here), just went out of business! The only way to acquire replacements is the "used" market!"

I did love the representation of a select sound filter in action when the white haired guy was chasing the suspect through a mall.

publiusr
2017-Jun-23, 07:16 PM
Lupin the III is back, baby! Yeah!

And Attack on Titan.

I thought the collosal would have been the bald general with the mustache--or this guy: http://attackontitan.wikia.com/wiki/Keith_Sadies_(Anime)

SkepticJ
2017-Jul-02, 09:25 PM
I gave Attack on Titan a try, and it's pretty meh. The Titans are delightfully weird, but otherwise it feels like any other mediocre anime to me. That seems to happen a lot in anime--cool ideas poorly used.

Buttercup
2017-Jul-02, 09:54 PM

Ditto.

I remember when it was called "Japanimation." Which term I'll presume got censored by PC police.

Noclevername
2017-Jul-02, 10:23 PM
I remember when it was called "Japanimation." Which term I'll presume got censored by PC police.

Or maybe it just fell out of fashion, as slang words do.

SkepticJ
2017-Jul-03, 12:30 AM
I haven't heard "Japanimation" since the internet was the Information Superhighway.

Gillianren
2017-Jul-03, 03:26 PM
Or maybe it just fell out of fashion, as slang words do.

I think it just became snobbishly fashionable to use the term actual Japanese people use, and then it became common.

SkepticJ
2017-Aug-13, 10:40 PM
Outlaw Star is coming to Adult Swim.

If you like space westerns, like Firefly, you might dig it. It's way more bonkers than Firefly, though; it's got Daoist-sorcery-practicing space pirates, lycanthropes, spell-shooting guns . . . it's a blast.

publiusr
2017-Aug-18, 08:23 PM
I remember its first fun on Toonami many years ago. The ship has grappler arms.

Solfe
2017-Aug-21, 03:14 AM
I haven't heard "Japanimation" since the internet was the Information Superhighway.

Wahhh-oooo-Wahhhhh-ooo!

I used to use the term, back when people generally didn't know what Anime was.

SkepticJ
2018-Feb-25, 05:57 AM
I bought a bunch of old-school anime on DVD, and I'll give reviews as I finish titles.

First up, Dominion: Tank Police

A blast from 1988, a sci-fi action-comedy set in a dystopic, polluted future (2010) that is so crime-ridden that the police use, you guessed it, tanks. When I wasn't laughing, I had a smile on my face. Unfortunately, if you want to own it on DVD you're going to have to pay for it--the DVDs have been out of print for a while. I got lucky and found it on eBay for $43. The Amazon price is heart-stopping. A kind soul has uploaded the four OVAs to YouTube; I'd give a link, but the content isn't appropriate for young eyes.

ravens_cry
2018-Feb-25, 10:57 AM
I bought a bunch of old-school anime on DVD, and I'll give reviews as I finish titles.

First up, Dominion: Tank Police

A blast from 1988, a sci-fi action-comedy set in a dystopic, polluted future (2010) that is so crime-ridden that the police use, you guessed it, tanks. When I wasn't laughing, I had a smile on my face. Unfortunately, if you want to own it on DVD you're going to have to pay for it--the DVDs have been out of print for a while. I got lucky and found it on eBay for $43. The Amazon price is heart-stopping. A kind soul has uploaded the four OVAs to YouTube; I'd give a link, but the content isn't appropriate for young eyes.
A local, non-chain had the first episode on VHS, back when VHS was just barely a thing, and they rented it to me without batting an eye. :whistle:
In the words of the Warner Brothers, Helloooooooo (fake) nurse(es)!

Solfe
2018-Feb-25, 04:26 PM
A local, non-chain had the first episode on VHS, back when VHS was just barely a thing, and they rented it to me without batting an eye. :whistle:
In the words of the Warner Brothers, Helloooooooo (fake) nurse(es)!

Ah... Animaniacs! My wife loves that show and being a nurse, her tag is ¨Helloooooo, Nurse!¨ Even her coworkers say it to her. Good thing she is cool with that.

transreality
2018-Mar-02, 09:46 AM
try

Knights of Sidonia
Blame!
Godzilla: planet of the monsters

modern animation, hard sci-fi (kind of).