PDA

View Full Version : How many space dollars are actually being spent across the world

efanton
2016-Mar-04, 02:21 AM
I was curious to try find out exactly how much money was spent on space missions and space related projects and research across the world.
I almost gave up searching government websites and central statistical offices until I came across the OECD library. It still took a bit of rooting but finally I came up with the figures below. Thought I would share them with you

According to the statistics collected by the OECD for the year 2014 it breaks down like this

OECD countries 50816.54 Billion
BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India China) 23993.075 Billion
EU15 $6704.88 Billion

giving grand total of 81,514.49 billion

That's an amazing amount of money. To put it in context the entire Apollo Space program would $110 billion in today's money.

selvaarchi
2016-Mar-04, 03:11 AM
According to the statistics collected by the OECD for the year 2014 it breaks down like this

OECD countries €50816.54 Billion
BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India China) €23993.075 Billion
EU15 $6704.88 Billion

giving grand total of €81,514.49 billion

That's an amazing amount of money. To put it in context the entire Apollo Space program would $110 billion in today's money.

The thread "Space budgets and assets" has a lot of information within it. Here is a link (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?152275-Space-budgets-and-assets&p=2250946#post2250946) directly to the OECD figures for 2013. Note that the expenditure for OECD actually went down in 2014.

Eclogite
2016-Mar-04, 12:37 PM
Efanton, I think you may have a misplaced decimal point, or you are using the European decimal comma, or have written billion when you meant million. Regardless - interesting information.

efanton
2016-Mar-04, 01:18 PM
The thread "Space budgets and assets" has a lot of information within it. Here is a link (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?152275-Space-budgets-and-assets&p=2250946#post2250946) directly to the OECD figures for 2013. Note that the expenditure for OECD actually went down in 2014.

Thanks for pointing that thread out, I wish I had seen it earlier it would have saved a huge amount of searching on my part.

Efanton, I think you may have a misplaced decimal point, or you are using the European decimal comma, or have written billion when you meant million. Regardless - interesting information.

No the comma was deliberate. Here in Ireland and the UK its common to use a comma to delineate millions, billions and trillions etc before a decimal point

€81,514.49 billion would actually mean 81 trillion 514.49 billion dollars

Swift
2016-Mar-04, 02:17 PM
I was curious to try find out exactly how much money was spent on space missions and space related projects and research across the world.
I almost gave up searching government websites and central statistical offices until I came across the OECD library. It still took a bit of rooting but finally I came up with the figures below. Thought I would share them with you

OECD countries €50816.54 Billion
BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India China) €23993.075 Billion
EU15 $6704.88 Billion

giving grand total of €81,514.49 billion

I think Eclogite is exactly correct.

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Space_Agency), ESA's annual budget is about 4 billion euros or 5 billion US dollars, not 6000 billion euros. ESA's website (http://www.esa.int/For_Media/Highlights/ESA_budget_2015) confirms thist.

NASA's budget is around $18 billion. According to wikipedia, China spends between about half to one billion US dollars (seems to depend on who is estimating), and India seems to be about $1 billion.

I couldn't quickly find a good number for Russia.

So, that's about $25 billion. Plus you have assorted other small national programs, military programs, and private companies (though some of that will be under national budgets, as these private companies get contracts from governments).

For comparison, Apple profits for 4th quarter 2015 were about $11 billion.

selvaarchi
2016-Mar-04, 02:47 PM
Where efanton was using billions, it should have been millions. Then the figures are correct.

China's figure is more like 5 to 6 US billion.

publiusr
2016-Mar-05, 08:08 PM
However much it is--I want more.