PDA

View Full Version : March New Moon Spotting

Centaur
2016-Mar-08, 04:40 PM
Itís nearly time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge. Sighting a very young Moon becomes rather easy as we approach the time of the vernal equinox. Many North Americans should be able to spot the nearly one-day-old Moon on Wednesday evening March 9.

My preview graphics and more detailed article can be found at www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

Also on that webpage youíll find my newest Moon feature, which is a table of timings for the lunar terminator appearing on various rayed craters, the Lunar X and the Curtiss Cross.

Photos and descriptions of the young crescent Moon this month would be welcome additions to this thread. Many observers may be able to set personal records this month.

Below is a photo that I shot from Arlington Heights, Illinois of the Moon on 2007 MAR 19 at 19:30 CDT while it was aged 21:47 hours. That was my personal record.

Hornblower
2016-Mar-10, 12:34 AM
I just got a great look at 6:45 EST, with the Moon's age just under 22 hours. It looked very much like your photo in this thread. I had every intention of photographing it, which I could have done easily, but like a dummy I forgot to check for a memory card in the camera, so I came home empty handed. The crescent spanned about 120 degrees around the limb and looked a bit snaggletoothed at 7x in my binoculars. I would say that high mountains on the limb were casting long shadows toward the terminator.

About a mile from my observing site are some high rise apartments that are home to many Muslims who worship at a mosque across the road from them. They have a stupendous view to the west for spotting the emerging Moon. With today's clear sky they could have gotten a jump on their fellow observers in the Middle East, where the setting Moon was only 14 hours past conjunction today. I would be curious to hear if there were any successful sightings there.

Centaur
2016-Mar-10, 12:48 AM
I just got a great look at 6:45 EST, with the Moon's age just under 22 hours. It looked very much like your photo in this thread. I had every intention of photographing it, which I could have done easily, but like a dummy I forgot to check for a memory card in the camera, so I came home empty handed. The crescent spanned about 120 degrees around the limb and looked a bit snaggletoothed at 7x in my binoculars. I would say that high mountains on the limb were casting long shadows toward the terminator.

About a mile from my observing site are some high rise apartments that are home to many Muslims who worship at a mosque across the road from them. They have a stupendous view to the west for spotting the emerging Moon. With today's clear sky they could have gotten a jump on their fellow observers in the Middle East, where the setting Moon was only 14 hours past conjunction today. I would be curious to hear if there were any successful sightings there.

Glad you got to see such a young Moon, Hornblower. Too bad about the camera. That would be great if your Muslim neighbors can brag to any cousins they might have in the Middle East. Thanks for providing your report.