PDA

View Full Version : Ahh! Websence is evil.

iFire
2005-Feb-04, 05:44 PM
Well, our school decided that they would turn on the "Entertainment" catagory on Websence. Apparetly Bad Astronomy is entertaining. BA is educational! Education is not fun! 8-[

(Btw, Websence is down right now... yay.)

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-04, 09:09 PM
So wait, a site like this would become unviewable at your school?

TimH
2005-Feb-04, 09:14 PM
probably 'cuz of the message board

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Feb-04, 09:26 PM
Grrrrr. :evil:

Most filters have a "whitelist" feature, from what I have heard, where you can list a site that should not be blocked. Maybe they can do that at your school.

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-04, 10:41 PM
Yeah, they definitely should allow this site. It's educational in so many ways. I would think it should be a requirement to visit this site!

iFire
2005-Feb-04, 10:50 PM
Its not the message board. Its the subject matter, the fact that it talks about movies makes the Websence software freak out. I am on relatively good terms with the IT staff, so I should be able to get the site whitelisted. I've heard rumors about an online encyclepedia being blocked for the existance of a multimedia segment. (Unconfirmed though) I have also heard the TPTB (:P) were considering taking the entertainment filter back off becuase of the number of worthwile sites being blocked.

Lurker
2005-Feb-04, 10:56 PM
Grrrrr. :evil:

Most filters have a "whitelist" feature, from what I have heard, where you can list a site that should not be blocked. Maybe they can do that at your school.

Too much humor and lightheartedness here!! What kind of example does that set for the children!! [-(

:P

and my spell checker even recognizes lightheartedness!! :wink: