PDA

View Full Version : Dual Galilean Satellite & Shadow Transits - Evening March 23

Centaur
2016-Mar-23, 04:04 AM
Telescopically during Wednesday evening 2016 MAR 23 two of Jupiterís great Galilean satellites and their shadows will be seen simultaneously in transit across the disk of Jupiter.

Iíve created preview graphics for these events and much more related to Jupiter that can be viewed on my Jupiter webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter.html

Photos and descriptions of Jupiter, its Galilean satellites and their shadows would be welcome additions to this thread.

Centaur
2016-Mar-23, 02:02 PM
Tonightís the night!

A detailed timetable of tonightís Galilean satellite and shadow transits is now available on my Jupiter webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter.html

Hornblower
2016-Mar-24, 12:56 AM
I just got a good look at Io emerging about 8:35 EDT, and I am going back out to watch its shadow leave the planet. Moments of good seeing gave brief crisp views, interspersed with looking like water running over everything.

Hornblower
2016-Mar-24, 01:38 AM
I just saw Ganymede crossing the limb at calculated time, now watching for Europa to emerge from eclipse at 9:46 EDT.

Hornblower
2016-Mar-24, 01:51 AM
First speck of Europa about 9:44:45, brightened rapidly. Published time must have been midpoint of partial eclipse, which I could not see at 160x with Celestron 8.

Centaur
2016-Mar-24, 02:01 AM
Thanks for your fine reports, Hornblower. Glad you're having a good time. However my published timing predictions are not for the midpoint of events. In the case of Europa I predicted that the total eclipse would end at 19:44:03 EDT and the partial eclipse would end at 19:47:59 EDT: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter.html

Hornblower
2016-Mar-24, 03:31 AM
By "published time" I was referring to 1:46 UT as listed in Sky and Telescope, which was about halfway. I had not yet found your detailed listing. The agreement appears to be excellent.