PDA

View Full Version : Smartest People On This Site

Plat
2005-Feb-05, 03:01 AM
Who are the people that are the most knowledgable about astronomy, cosmology, you know space knowledge?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Feb-05, 03:02 AM
The BA, of course.

:)

skrap1r0n
2005-Feb-05, 03:05 AM
I find it's not any ONE person, but the collective input from everyone that helps me get by.

Plat
2005-Feb-05, 03:30 AM
Just list some names you think are the most intelligent

Mars
2005-Feb-05, 04:33 AM
Mars

:wink:

Kristophe
2005-Feb-05, 05:31 AM
Hrmm. Let's say...

GrapesofWrath
kilopi
Ut
milli360
and
A Thousand Pardons

Andromeda321
2005-Feb-05, 06:09 AM
Does it count as five if four of the people on that list are the same person? :lol:
As for one all told, I really couldn't tell you. I mean everyone's got their specialty because astronomy literally can cover anything in the universe. So for example I wouldn't go near Lunar Conspiracies outside the mindset that Jay Utah's the most knowledgable in there hands down but since he never talks much in other forums I wouldn't say he's the most knowledgable there.

Plat
2005-Feb-05, 06:10 AM
are they...which four names are the same?

Enzp
2005-Feb-05, 08:01 AM
Now wait a minute, I am really really smart, but it takes a lot of my time just being that way, so I spend my day being smart and then don't have time to say smart things here. SO you never find out how really really smart I am. Y'see how that works? My wife thinks she is smarter than I am, but I am smart enough not to argue the point. THAT is how smart I am.

Yes, dear. Coming...

sarongsong
2005-Feb-05, 08:04 AM
After 800+ posts, shouldn't you be telling us?[-(
That knows more than they do..." -BD (http://bobdylan.com/songs/desolation.html)

Eroica
2005-Feb-05, 10:39 AM
Who are the people that are the most knowledgeable about astronomy, cosmology, you know space knowledge?

Just list some names you think are the most intelligent
Make up your mind. Do you want knowledgeable posters or intelligent posters? :wink:

mutineer
2005-Feb-05, 10:54 AM
I spotted this thread and thought, I nominate myself as the "scruffiest person on this site."

Then I started thinking about it. A British dictionary gives as its first definition of smart something like, "Well dressed; well turnout out."

In Britain, the word smart also carries connotations of speed. "Look smart!" means be fast about it. Add the injunction "smartish!" when giving someone an order and you mean "jump to it!" My American dictionary does not recognise that word at all. (Or recognize it, even!)

I gather that in North America, the word smart means intelligent, but also conveys an aspect of speediness. Perhaps someone who was "thoughtful and intelligent" rather than "sharp and quick-witted" would not be smart?

I think that on both sides of the pool the word smart can suggest a disrespectful "wise-guy" cleverness. I must admit, somehow I do not like the word. I would not want to be nominated. ("Precious chance, anyhow", did I hear someone say?)

Fram
2005-Feb-05, 11:55 AM
Mutineer, definitely.

:P

I guess the BA, Ut, UtahJay, are among the more knowledgeable around here for astronomy and so on, but there are loads of others.

Nicolas
2005-Feb-05, 01:00 PM
Candy is definately the most knowledgeable on smilies :)

Staiduk
2005-Feb-05, 01:07 PM
There can be only one answer really.
It has been said: "A wise man knows when to admit ignorance".
Since I am totally, utterly, completely and in all other ways absolutely ignorant of anything even remotely pertaining to space; and furthermore since I freely admit the fact, the answer must therefore be:

Who are the people that are the most knowledgable about astronomy, cosmology, you know space knowledge?

I am! :D

Cheers!

Candy
2005-Feb-05, 02:11 PM
Candy is definately the most knowledgeable on smilies :)
I love them smilies! :D

I nominate ATP as overall most knowledgable in all areas.

N C More
2005-Feb-05, 05:17 PM
Well, I know Jay from other sites and can vouch for the the fact that he's extremely smart in areas beyond his Apollo knowledge (which, by the way, I've never seen surpassed).

Now, if you want to branch out into other sciences and academic areas (beyond astronomy related) there are several other really smart folks around here as well. For example, regarding linguistic knowledge; I nominate Maksutov. I'm sure everyone can think of many others in various disciplines.

Kristophe
2005-Feb-05, 06:42 PM
Mutineer, definitely.

:P

I guess the BA, Ut, UtahJay, are among the more knowledgeable around here for astronomy and so on, but there are loads of others.

Oh man, someone said I know something! And it wasn't me!

What is the world coming to?

Brady Yoon
2005-Feb-05, 06:48 PM
Probably JS Princeton, but he got kicked off.

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-05, 09:25 PM
In no particular order:

Laser Jock

ATP

Tensor

Cougar

pteranodon

the BA

beskep

Eta C

beskeptical
2005-Feb-05, 10:05 PM
In no particular order:

Laser Jock

ATP

Tensor

Cougar

pteranodon

the BA

beskep

Eta CThanks for the compliment. :D

Actually, I find everyone has excellent contributions here. Even if someone knows more about one topic or another, there are still times when someone else unexpectedly posts a point no one else had considered.

Zachary
2005-Feb-05, 10:12 PM
I would have thought Toseek to be up there, although it's entirely plausible that he's just a data grabbing bot :wink:

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-05, 10:15 PM
D'oh, how'd I forget ToSeek? #-o

AstroSmurf
2005-Feb-07, 10:28 AM
ToSeek wins the 'Best Google user' award...

On Lunar Conspiracies - apart from JayUtah, I'd nominate JimO as well. After all, he works for NASA so he's definitely part of the conspiracy...

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-07, 01:06 PM
Well Iím trying to become a sci-fi writer, or Iím an unpublished sci-fi writer... one of them #-o

Okay well before I confused myself I was going to ask, does being a sci-fi writer make me less knowledgeable? :D

Personally i would nominate Ut for his knowledgeability (didn't know that was a real word (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=knowledgeability)). He's too smart it's not normal :P :D

Now back to my reading [picks up where's wally]

Argos
2005-Feb-07, 01:25 PM
In no particular order:

Laser Jock

ATP

Tensor

Cougar

pteranodon

the BA

beskep

Eta C

No ToSeek? :o

Wally
2005-Feb-07, 01:42 PM
Hrmm. Let's say...

GrapesofWrath
kilopi
Ut
milli360
and
A Thousand Pardons

UT???? Who ya kiddin' Kris. . . You know just as well as the rest of us here just how off his rocker UT was, and how happy we all are that he's finally gone now! :P

(you deserved at least a little slam for your self-inclusion!!!). :lol:

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-07, 02:56 PM
Do we mean intelligent, knowledgeable,
or both?

The BA.

Cougar.

Thousand Pardons.

To Seek.

Plus some whose names get confused with all the impenatrable, but learned, stuff they post.

ToSeek
2005-Feb-07, 05:07 PM
ToSeek wins the 'Best Google user' award...

My brains are online. ;)

Nicolas
2005-Feb-07, 05:15 PM
Nope, I couldn't offer lists about smartest. :wink:

Laser Jock
2005-Feb-07, 05:22 PM
In no particular order:

Laser Jock

ATP

Tensor

Cougar

pteranodon

the BA

beskep

Eta C
I'm flattered that you put me on your list. But if you look at the OP:

... most knowledgable about astronomy, cosmology ...

I've never had a single astronomy or cosmology class. While I may know more about the above subjects than the average person, I would say there are many here on this board that know more than I do.

As far as general physics knowledge, I would include papageno on the list as well.

The one poster that I've been most impressed by is JayUtah. His depth of knowledge is remarkable.

Tensor
2005-Feb-07, 05:34 PM
In no particular order:

Laser Jock

ATP

Tensor

Cougar

pteranodon

the BA

beskep

Eta C

Wow, thanks. :oops:

As Laser Jock says:

But if you look at the OP:

... most knowledgable about astronomy, cosmology ...

I'd have to include Tim Thompson here. Also, Celestial Mechanic and Normandy6644.

As far as general physics knowledge, I would include papageno on the list as well.

The one poster that I've been most impressed by is JayUtah. His depth of knowledge is remarkable.

Agree with both of these. If I had to chose one poster over the whole range of subjects, it would be Grapes/Kilopi/Milli/ATP. The depth of his knowledge over the entire range of BABB is astounding. Not to mention, he's got a sly sense of humor.

papageno
2005-Feb-07, 05:45 PM
:oops: I am really flattered.
I need to deflate my ego, otherwise I won't be able to leave the office tonight.

I agree. He is on the top of the list.
He is not only knowledgable and reasonable, but his posts are always a pleasure to read.

Glom
2005-Feb-07, 05:53 PM
Jay is the wisest, smartest and most thoughtful person I have ever encountered.

I also nominate dgruss.

N C More
2005-Feb-07, 06:20 PM

And he's also very "young looking"! Man, I'm really jealous.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-07, 07:16 PM
The 1st entry for smart in my Webster's abridged: To cause sharp stinging pain. I nominate my mom for the time when I was 15 and she found my Playboy and bottle of whiskey. Both gone in one fell swoop, and I got a few nasty backhands (mostly for the whiskey I believe).

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-07, 08:39 PM
Okay, add:

papageno

dgruss23

ToSeek (already mentioned, but what the heck)

JayUtah (d'oh!)

Celestial Mechanic (d'oh!)

Normandy

Jerry Jensen (yes I know, he was pretty quirky, but you've got to admit he was smart)

Brady Yoon (easily one of the smartest kids I know)

George
2005-Feb-08, 12:26 AM
Be it know, that I formally must withdraw my name from any prior or future nominations. Thank you for your consideration at this time.

mike alexander
2005-Feb-08, 12:43 AM
I wait with some trepidation for the inverse of this thread. :-?

Gmann
2005-Feb-08, 12:58 AM

8-[

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-08, 01:08 AM

I take first nominations for that 8)

Not like i'd get nominated for anything else, except nominating myself for stupid nominations 8-[

Kristophe
2005-Feb-08, 01:14 AM
Hrmm. Let's say...

GrapesofWrath
kilopi
Ut
milli360
and
A Thousand Pardons

UT???? Who ya kiddin' Kris. . . You know just as well as the rest of us here just how off his rocker UT was, and how happy we all are that he's finally gone now! :P

(you deserved at least a little slam for your self-inclusion!!!). :lol:

I was waiting for someone to say something... :P Instead, I just got freaked out by people who are not me naming me. There are some real crazies out there ;)

In all seriousness, in no particular order, and for no particular subject, I'd have to say the BA, Grapes (but only once), JayUtah, Eta C, Toutatis, Jerry Jensen... Umm, I'm running out of names I can think of off the top of my head. I'd have to say that 80% of people here are insanely knowledgeable, and the other 20% love soaking up knowledge. That makes everyone a winner!

Cougar
2005-Feb-08, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately some of the most knowledgeable don't post much anymore. Tim Thompson was only mentioned once, and he's definitely in the top 5. Then there's Spaceman Spiff, Grey, the fairly recent contributor "Astronomy", and <sniff> JSPrinceton. All very top-notch educators.

Me? I'm just a pianoplayer (http://www.soundclick.com/donchambers)/techwriter who's done a lot of reading. I must throw in a little brag here, though -- Yesterday I saw a guitar player I used to be in a band with.... He was on TV.... Playing during half-time at the Superbowl.... With Paul McCartney! Now, that's what I call makin' it!

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-08, 02:36 AM
I must throw in a little brag here, though -- Yesterday I saw a guitar player I used to be in a band with.... He was on TV.... Playing during half-time at the Superbowl.... With Paul McCartney! Now, that's what I call makin' it!

Though who would know he was once in a band with the great Cougar :wink:

SKY
2005-Feb-08, 03:03 AM

I also nominate dgruss.

I'd second dgruss.

George
2005-Feb-08, 03:07 AM

Be it known, I formally submit my name for nomination, reciprocal to my former declaration. :)

George
2005-Feb-08, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately some of the most knowledgeable don't post much anymore. Tim Thompson was only mentioned once, and he's definitely in the top 5. Then there's Spaceman Spiff, Grey, the fairly recent contributor "Astronomy", and <sniff> JSPrinceton. All very top-notch educators.

Me? I'm just a pianoplayer (http://www.soundclick.com/donchambers)/techwriter who's done a lot of reading. I must throw in a little brag here, though -- Yesterday I saw a guitar player I used to be in a band with.... He was on TV.... Playing during half-time at the Superbowl.... With Paul McCartney! Now, that's what I call makin' it!

8) . The guy on lead? His guitar steel work was great. That had to be quite a treat for you. =D>

Brady Yoon
2005-Feb-08, 04:33 AM
Brady Yoon (easily one of the smartest kids I know)

Lol, thanks for the compliment. I was about to recommend you too. You know a lot more math & physics I'd say. I remember at one point I was trying to keep my post count above yours, but I sadly fell behind.

Oh yeah, my knowledge in computers is absolutely horrible compared to yours, or most people. I can use Microsoft ok, but I don't have a clue about the technical stuff.

:D

Tensor
2005-Feb-08, 04:54 AM
Unfortunately some of the most knowledgeable don't post much anymore.

Yeah, I know. And I learned a lot from them. :cry:

Tim Thompson was only mentioned once, and he's definitely in the top 5.

I think it's because he doesn't post as much as he used to and the new people don't recognize his name. For those who aren't aware of his contributions, do a search for him and read, or go check out his website.

Then there's Spaceman Spiff, Grey,

D'oh. Thank's, Cougar, for bringing their names up.

the fairly recent contributor "Astronomy", and <sniff> JSPrinceton. All very top-notch educators.

Yeah, I'll agree with you there also.

Ari Jokimaki
2005-Feb-08, 06:53 AM
Jerry Jensen (yes I know, he was pretty quirky, but you've got to admit he was smart)

You say "he was", but he still "is". He goes by the name "Jerry" nowadays.

beskeptical
2005-Feb-08, 07:54 AM
I wait with some trepidation for the inverse of this thread. :-?Since Mike is also one of the smartest and talented persons here, it reminded me we don't all read every thread nor post. So there could be some incredibly intelligent things one person reads and another misses.

Sorry, Mike, you'll never make it on the inverse, you definitely belong on this list.

I also would add, my tiny little bit of expertise is not in astronomy.

And how do you judge anyway? I like to think I know a little about a lot. Some people know a lot about a little. Could be apples and oranges.

I just spilled printer ink on my rug! :o Darn!

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-08, 12:35 PM

Respectfully...no, I don't...but that's just my opinion. :)

Darasen
2005-Feb-08, 01:53 PM
I did Not Hub' mentioned. Once you figure out what he is saying.
Personally I feel that there are way too many smart people on this board to single out a few. But, isn't that what the scientific community is supposed to be?

George
2005-Feb-08, 04:21 PM
And how do you judge anyway? I like to think I know a little about a lot. Some people know a lot about a little. Could be apples and oranges.
Qualifying "Smart" isn't easy. JS was/is quite knowledgeable but how "smart" was it to ignore the BA's warnings. Others are more focused on topics. Cougar puts up a good fight for BB Theory and plays guitar (probably better than Einstein's violin playing). I find ngc3314's understanding of dust/cloud issues amazing. He also will go the extra mile and explain things knowing how little I know. This deserves bonus points (unless, of course, he isn't smart enough to see how little I know :wink: )

I find Kaptain K's "smartness" is resident in his ability to generate fresh answers. (I think MIT calls this "mapping" for some reason). For instance, his "net" idea to constrain ice during shuttle launches was later stated as a likely solution by NASA. He wasted no time in suggesting a rebooster for Hubble, rather than the FDS (Flaming Deep Six) plan.

I just spilled printer ink on my rug! :o Darn!
Then there are other's like yourself. One minute your on top, the next.... :D

beskeptical
2005-Feb-08, 08:37 PM
...I just spilled printer ink on my rug! :o Darn!
Then there are other's like yourself. One minute your on top, the next.... :DI had that same sentiment when I posted it. :lol: :lol:

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-08, 09:02 PM
Mike Alexander also goes on the list, yes. I mean come on, this guy invented XOF News! :lol:

beskeptical
2005-Feb-08, 10:08 PM
Mike Alexander also goes on the list, yes. I mean come on, this guy invented XOF News! :lol:Shhh :-$

George
2005-Feb-09, 12:06 AM
...I just spilled printer ink on my rug! :o Darn!
Then there are other's like yourself. One minute your on top, the next.... :DI had that same sentiment when I posted it. :lol: :lol:

I know how you feel. I've tried to be proud of my humility, but even this doesn't work. :-? :)

SciFi Chick
2005-Feb-09, 12:35 AM
Don't forget SeanF. Not only is his knowledge of math and relativity astonishing, he is very good at putting it in layman's terms.

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-09, 01:40 AM
D'oh! #-o

(Sorry Sean... It's just all too easy to forget your knowledge of relativity when you're expounding the virtues of Ronald Reagan. ;) )

gethen
2005-Feb-09, 02:42 PM
Are we including posters no longer with us? I'm thinking of JSPrinceton, who contributed so much before going off the deep end.

mike alexander
2005-Feb-09, 06:00 PM
I suspect that 'smart', whatever it really is, is a galaxy of abilities and aptitudes. The question, while great fun, is much like 'which are better, oranges or pears?'

What I really see is this board as a moveable feast, a wide-ranging seminar that never ends, the Body Electric. It is The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit in digital form, where individuals put it on for an hour and wander about the town, going down to the square to hold grave discussions with the intellectuals, roam around and just say hi, maybe even wander into the bar for a taco or two. A Parade.

Bravo!

Swift
2005-Feb-09, 06:32 PM
I suspect that 'smart', whatever it really is, is a galaxy of abilities and aptitudes. The question, while great fun, is much like 'which are better, oranges or pears?'

What I really see is this board as a moveable feast, a wide-ranging seminar that never ends, the Body Electric. It is The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit in digital form, where individuals put it on for an hour and wander about the town, going down to the square to hold grave discussions with the intellectuals, roam around and just say hi, maybe even wander into the bar for a taco or two. A Parade.

Bravo!
Wow Mike, you're not only among the smartest, you're a poet too! That was beautiful. =D>

George
2005-Feb-09, 07:14 PM

Oranges.

:wink:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-10, 06:01 PM
I would like to echo mike alexander's comments--I've learned a lot, but I like to think that none of us are done yet. I miss ol' JS too--but I'm glad Sam5 is back. :)

PS: if any of you can see my suit, could you tell me what color it is? I'm pretty sure it is not ice cream

Wally
2005-Feb-10, 08:34 PM
I would like to echo mike alexander's comments--I've learned a lot, but I like to think that none of us are done yet. I miss ol' JS too--but I'm glad Sam5 is back. :)

PS: if any of you can see my suit, could you tell me what color it is? I'm pretty sure it is not ice cream

Sam's back??? Haven't seen him! Guess I'll have to go looking. . .

. . . and oh yeah, it's ecru 8)

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-10, 10:30 PM
weird, that's the same color as my ice cream...

mike alexander
2005-Feb-10, 10:59 PM
Wait a minute. I thought ecrus were small South American camelids related to alpacas.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-10, 11:50 PM
you just want to be on the inverse thread, don't you? :)