PDA

View Full Version : Is the Sun overheating?

Human
2005-Feb-05, 09:51 AM
Is the Sun overheating?

Amadeus
2005-Feb-05, 11:02 AM
Er.. based on what?

Some more information would be helpful.

Human
2005-Feb-05, 11:17 AM
Er.. based on what?

Some more information would be helpful.

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/prophecy/45959

Crazieman
2005-Feb-05, 11:30 AM
Um...

With all due respect, I thought everyone knew Weekly World News is a fictional tabloid rag.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-05, 12:08 PM
Um...

With all due respect, I thought everyone knew Weekly World News is a fictional tabloid rag.
And funny: "Over the past 11 years, we've seen our Sun go through changes frighteningly like those that took place in Kepler's Star right before it was observed going supernova in 1604."

'Course, when Kepler sent space probes up to monitor conditions, he had to use wood for fuel so some of those results may have come from his ash.

dgavin
2005-Feb-05, 06:03 PM
Actually it's cooling off.

It's about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through it's main sequence stage.

What it triggering the more intense solar max's is anyone guess.

Mine is that as the sun expands and contracts in it's cycle, it's starting to hit a berif point during contraction where the helium ash can be fused, this set's in motion the next round of expansion.

Currently the Expansion/Contraction rate is about 2% of it's size, with around a .01% change in lumiosity.

But over all it's burning less and less hydrogen and slowly cooling off over long periods of time.

V838 Mon which was thought to be sligtly smaller then Sol was at a stage where it had a 11% change in size during it's cycles, and around a 3% change in lumiosity. It has since become a red-supergiant, the transition taking only a matter of 6 months. Hubble site has some good pic of this star!

It is unknown why that star transitioned so fast. Some feel it was a giant star to begin with, hence the faster evolution. But all the evidence -before- it transitioned had it as a Sol mass star.

I think it was formed with more heavier elements in the core which has two effects. The Heavier elements in the core allow stars to achive fusion with less mass and slower burning. But when the hydrogen does run out, the heavier elements lead to extreamly fast transitions, as they can help trigger and sustain the helium fussion once a certain point of contraction is reach. (this is -not- a popular theory mind you, but it makes more sense to me then a <1 Sol mass star suddenly being re-evaluated as a 90 Mass Sol star -after- it goes red giant. I'd be more willing to accept the reevaluation if it was made before the star transistioned. It's in a flux stage and still growning, any measurements of mass now will not be reliable.)

Is our sun of similar core composition? Hard to tell as we can't see what in the core's of planets or stars yet. The probability is that it does have many heavy elements in it's core.

Sol should have it's designation changed from Sol, to V1 Sol, as it is certainly in it's cyclic variable stage.

Kristophe
2005-Feb-05, 07:04 PM
As the sun heats up, it expands, the pressure at the core is reduced, and the fusion process slows. Energy output is reduced, and the sun cools. It's just a big ball of self regulating plasma.

I think when most people think of something like the sun "overheating", they think of it going supernova. That happens when fusion stops in the core, and the star collapses in upon itself. With a core made of iron, no amount of energy will be released -- iron fusion is endothermic -- and so there is no radiation pressure to hold the star up. At that point, it's up to things like electrostatic forces, and quantum mechanical properties to keep the star from falling in on itself.

I don't know about helium fusion right now. Wouldn't there be a much sharper increase in energy output when the helium ash began fusing? I've never seen the raw data -- just prettified post-processing diagrams -- but I've never seen such a spike.

Maddad
2005-Feb-05, 11:51 PM
The sun's too lightweight to go supernova. It's end will see it expanding greatly, and although the surface temperature will drop, it's overall output will go up as much as 2,000 times. Without anything really specific in the poll, the answer would be yes, the sun is heating up. Howsomever, this is on a stellar time scale of five billion years. On a human timescale we're experiencing a minor cooling fluctuation. It'll probably swing back to the hot side within a lifetime or a few generations. However, hotter on this scale means maybe 1% hotter, not 200,000% hotter.

Russ
2005-Feb-06, 12:22 AM
I voted no in your poll. The Sun is always at the temperature it is supposed to be. It may be warmer or cooler than average at any point in time but always at the necessary temperature. ;)

Moose
2005-Feb-06, 02:31 AM
I suspect if the Weekly World News ever got something right, it would be completely accidental and I'm sure someone would get fired over it.

Evan
2005-Feb-06, 08:04 AM
We don't have accurate numbers on the energy output of the sun. This is not an easy thing to measure and the last I heard the best we can do is only around 1% accuracy, if that good.

Glom
2005-Feb-06, 03:43 PM
It is more active at the moment that it was a few hundred years ago, but that's for the better really.

Plat
2005-Feb-06, 05:16 PM
its better for us? really?

how come?

Kristophe
2005-Feb-06, 05:31 PM
Solar output was down in the 1600's, causing over half a century of very cold temperatures. It's known as the "Little Ice Age", and is associated with something called the Maunder Minimum, wherein the sun exhibited no sun spots.

Glom
2005-Feb-06, 05:40 PM
its better for us? really?

how come?

More life supporting climate.

Plat
2005-Feb-06, 05:51 PM
Wouldnt it melt the polar ice caps and do some "Day After Tomorrow" type of stuff

TriangleMan
2005-Feb-06, 06:06 PM
Maybe Human was posting it for laughs since we explained to him that WWN was fictional a few months ago (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15578&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sta rt=0).

(edited to add: Human posted the same prophecy back then too.)

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-06, 06:13 PM
Maybe Human was posting it for laughs since we explained to him that WWN was fictional a few months ago (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15578&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sta rt=0).

(edited to add: Human posted the same prophecy back then too.)
I notice that that is the same WWN link

Human apologized for it last August (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=315561#315561).

expirationdate
2005-Feb-07, 12:01 AM
Is the Sun overheating?

I voted yes. Only becuase I had an intense urge to be ignorant and actually vote on something that I don't have the knowledge to even begin to think that I know what the sun is doing!

Madcat
2005-Feb-10, 09:45 PM
I voted yes, and was going to say something ignorant like "The end is coming!" but then I saw that many people have actually posted worthwhile stuff in this thread. :(

Brady Yoon
2005-Feb-12, 03:36 AM
The question can be interpreted in many ways. :wink:

skrap1r0n
2005-Feb-12, 04:07 AM
OK wait... Are we REALLY debating a theory based on a weekly world news article?

You know I believe batboy is responsible for this, Since he was coronated as the head of the illuminati, he made sure that the masons were sent to work on the HAARP program and they figured out a way to create plasma coulds that are drawn into the sun. thats why it's overheating. In fact, one was miscalculated, defelected back to the earth by the Van Allen belt and cause the tsunami.

Oh did I mention that Batboy is Dick Cheney and Diana Ross's lovechild?

TriangleMan
2005-Feb-12, 01:02 PM
Oh did I mention that Batboy is Dick Cheney and Diana Ross's lovechild?
Uh-uh. WWN already reported that Cheney is an alien robot, so you've obviously got incorrect information. [-X :wink:

Argos
2005-Feb-12, 01:19 PM
Uh-uh. WWN already reported that Cheney is an alien robot, so you've obviously got incorrect information. [-X :wink:

Im not sure about this... :)

Jorge
2005-Feb-12, 10:44 PM
whats illuminati? i vagly seem to remember that word/name but i can't recall correctly.

skrap1r0n
2005-Feb-13, 03:37 AM
Illuminati (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati)

The Illuminati is the name of many groups, modern and historical, real and fictitious, verified and alleged. Most commonly, however, The Illuminati refers specifically to the Bavarian Illuminati, the least secret of all secret societies in the world, described below. Most alleged and fictitious uses refer to a shadowy conspiratorial organization which controls world affairs behind the scenes, usually a modern incarnation or continuation of the Bavarian Illuminati. Illuminati is sometimes used synonymously with New World Order.