PDA

View Full Version : Are you asexual?

Human
2005-Feb-05, 05:13 PM
Are you asexual?

jt-3d
2005-Feb-05, 05:17 PM
Oh please. This is assinign. I'm in a foul mood today and this poll isn't helping.

dgruss23
2005-Feb-05, 05:24 PM
Are you asexual?

That's a rather unusual question - but you need to be more specific as to your meaning. Asexual can mean lacking the appropriate anatomical necessities for the activity and it can also mean lacking interest in the activity. Did you have a preferred meaning?

N C More
2005-Feb-05, 05:59 PM
The actual meaning of asexual is: A type of reproduction involving only one parent that produces genetically identical offspring by budding or division of a single cell or the entire organism into two or more parts.

Human beings can not be "asexual". Humans beings can be bisexual in terms of sexual preference or in very rare cases hermaphroditic (having both male and female reproductive organs). I suppose some people can be disinterested in any form of sexual contact (psychological issue) but that still would not make them "asexual".

Human
2005-Feb-05, 06:02 PM
Are you asexual?

That's a rather unusual question - but you need to be more specific as to your meaning. Asexual can mean lacking the appropriate anatomical necessities for the activity and it can also mean lacking interest in the activity. Did you have a preferred meaning?

I mean a lack of interest in the activity.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-05, 06:29 PM
Then there should be a third category answer--h*ck no.

Kristophe
2005-Feb-05, 06:45 PM
I suppose some people can be disinterested in any form of sexual contact (psychological issue) but that still would not make them "asexual".

It's a term that's been latched onto by people who don't have any such interest, though. Like Born Again Virgins.

Brady Yoon
2005-Feb-05, 06:47 PM
Funny poll..

frogesque
2005-Feb-05, 07:01 PM
Where're the don't know and don't care options?

There could also be a no-one's business but my own option.

Kristophe
2005-Feb-05, 07:06 PM
Where're the don't know and don't care options?

There could also be a no-one's business but my own option.

Don't forget maybe...

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-05, 07:17 PM
Something tells me this won't last too long...

Zachary
2005-Feb-05, 08:30 PM
"Love is a device invented by bank managers to make us overdrawn" :lol:

But seriously though, we're all human. I don't think anybody could consider themselves truly asexual without considerable surgery...

dgruss23
2005-Feb-05, 11:14 PM
The actual meaning of asexual is: A type of reproduction involving only one parent that produces genetically identical offspring by budding or division of a single cell or the entire organism into two or more parts.

That's one of three (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=asexual) definitions. I left that one off because - as you say - it simply doesn't apply to humans. I figured Human probably meant the 3rd definition.

I like some of the alternate poll choices that have been suggested! :lol:

SKY
2005-Feb-05, 11:24 PM

:lol:

mutineer
2005-Feb-05, 11:51 PM
You all know the story about the rabbi and the priest. They are passing this cafe and smell the delicious aroma of bacon. The priest says, "Tell me honestly, did you never want to taste that?" A little while later a very pretty girl passes by . . .

Well, I was always sorrier for the priest. But when you're as old as I am, there's things that take a lot out of you. Now it's not so easy to choose - but I might make the rasher decision. :D

mickal555
2005-Feb-06, 12:38 AM
I've noticed human asks alot of these yes/no questions without elaborating...

Ilya
2005-Feb-06, 04:47 AM
Well, somebody answered "yes".

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Feb-06, 07:10 AM
I've noticed human asks alot of these yes/no questions without elaborating...

I've noticed that as well.

Human, take that as a broad hint, and read FAQ Rule #8.

mutineer
2005-Feb-06, 11:50 AM
Well, somebody answered "yes".Not me, by the way.
I was hunting for the "Not just yet" option.

TriangleMan
2005-Feb-06, 05:52 PM
We've discussed asexuality in a previous thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16965&start=0).

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-06, 06:31 PM
We've discussed asexuality in a previous thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16965&start=0).

...And Human should know that...he posted to it. Hmmm...interesting. On that other thread Human stated that scientists are not very interested in sex (or something like that). :lol:

JMV
2005-Feb-06, 06:58 PM
Of course I can't speak for Human but it seems as if he's/she's gathering statistical info perhaps to study the general (and quite ridiculous) assumption that most of the really geeky/nerdy boys aren't interested in girls.

W.F. Tomba
2005-Feb-06, 07:05 PM
On that other thread Human stated that scientists are not very interested in sex (or something like that). :lol:
And no one took him/her seriously, even though I don't think it was intended as a joke. So to respond to what s/he said in the other thread, I believe the perception of scientists as having little interest in sex is a myth, although Human was right about Newton being "asexual". Other famous scientists, however, have had extramarital affairs, illegitimate children, etc.

Edited for asexuality!

N C More
2005-Feb-06, 07:16 PM
Of course I can't speak for Human but it seems as if he's/she's gathering statistical info perhaps to study the general (and quite ridiculous) assumption that most of the really geeky/nerdy boys aren't interested in girls.

Then he'd better be careful because some of us here are girls! :D This one being married to one of those geeky/nerdy guys. Nothing is quite as "sexy" as intelligence, I always say.

JMV
2005-Feb-06, 07:48 PM
I kinda guessed someone would make a remark of the girls here, but I didn't mention them because I've never heard anyone make similar assumptions about nerdy girls.

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-06, 08:03 PM
And no one took him seriously...

Now I don't want to start an argument, but just how is one to take such an obviously stereotypical statement like that seriously??

Candy
2005-Feb-06, 09:51 PM
Glad to hear that, you stud! :P

I'm a sexual being! :D

[edited]

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Feb-06, 10:23 PM
I think this has gone far enough.

While not explicitly expressed in the FAQ, I think we can keep this sort of stuff off this board. Take it to FWIS, folks.

-Phil