PDA

View Full Version : The unusual Phenomena that happened to you thread

mopc
2005-Feb-05, 06:50 PM
I don't know if there has already been such a thread, but the idea seems cool:

Has anything high unusual, be it psychological, "paranormal", inexplicable happened to you?

I'll start: I had in 2001-2002 five experiences of sleep paralysis - OK, that's not paranormal or inexplicable, but its WEIRD AS HELL.

I "wake up" - that is, open my eyes and become fully conscious - but I can't move my body. There's more: one time, I guess the second, I sensed a presence, it was a "bird", the room was dark and the suggestion was made my a carton box near the ceiling that flipped with the wind and sounded like a bird's wing during flight. I coud actually "see" a shadow of a bird, but I coundt move my head so I couldnt actually follow "it". I thought it was a raven.

The last time it lasted longer - maybe half an hour - and it was the first time I was afraid instead of amused by it, since I thought - Gee, it's taking longer, what if I never snap out of it?". This time I tryed so hard to move, that I feld my legs and then my whole body falling out of bed and then crawling painstakingly to the corridor outside my bedroom - but then I realized I had not moved a centimeter and I was still lying in bed

It was very common for me to try and move arm or leg so hard that I thought for a while I had done it - but then SNAP, nothing moved, not even my head, nothing. But this last time I was sure I was crawling on the flour - though with EXTREME difficulty - but it was all fake also.

In all of the occasions, it was after an afternoon nap, dusk, little lighting in the room.

Sleep paralysis is the opposite of sleepwalking: in the latter, your bady awakes but your mind dreams, in the former, you mind awakes and your body doesnt - it may even dream it's moving!!!!

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-05, 09:32 PM
I once had something similar happen to me, though I was still in REM sleep.

I dreamed that I woke up, got out of bed, and walked into the kitchen.

Following that, I dreamed that something woke me up, and I got out of bed.

Following that, I was really woken up by the clatter of a metal bowl hitting something and a surprised yelp. (IIRC, my dad had accidently knocked the bowl off the kitchen counter.)

Interesting bit: in both "layers" of the dream, there was a white T-shirt folded on top of my dresser. That T-shirt was indeed there in reality. Obviously, part of my mind "recorded" it being there the night before, though I had not given the shirts presence much thought.

(Interesting isn't it, how even the most surreal of dreams can include genuine details from your memory?)

frogesque
2005-Feb-05, 11:36 PM
Different tack but I've twice had 'out of body' experiences. First time it was weird but didn't feel odd. I was sitting an exam and sort of floated around behind myself and looked over my shoulder while the invigilator was on the other side of me. Didn't seem to do me any harm and I got a credit!

Spacewriter
2005-Feb-05, 11:55 PM
ok, I'll bite.

A few years ago I had a near-death experience in Spain and had that whole "white light" thing happen to me. Fortunately I was revived (or else I'm posting from the Great Beyond) ;)

mickal555
2005-Feb-06, 12:57 AM
de ja vu

You experience it and remamber in and recall the memery all at the same time... odd
I get it often

mopc
2005-Feb-06, 01:05 AM
de ja vu

You experience it and remamber in and recall the memery all at the same time... odd
I get it often

Didnt I read a message exactly like this another time??? :lol:

mickal555
2005-Feb-06, 01:09 AM
de ja vu

I get it often

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-06, 01:12 AM
Whoah. Deja vu.

(Nice double-post, Mickal. :P )

dgruss23
2005-Feb-06, 01:29 AM
Well people don't normally like to admit this sort of stuff ... but what the heck ...

One night I was awakened by a sudden physical contact. I was instantly wide awake and hovering over me was an apparition of a woman - from the waist up. She had long brown hair and a short sleeve shirt. There was nothing "menacing" about her - just a sense that she was passing through. She hovered for about 30 seconds gradually elevating away and then faded through the wall.

I've never seen such a thing before or since then. Its not anything that I could ever (or even care to) "prove", but I know how I was awakened, know that I was in fact awake, and know what I saw.

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-06, 02:37 AM
Were you able to move while you were awake? (If you weren't, the explanation's kind of obvious.)

Tensor
2005-Feb-06, 02:45 AM
vuja de:

You forget the memory of the experience you never had.

N C More
2005-Feb-06, 03:14 AM
Well people don't normally like to admit this sort of stuff ... but what the heck ...

One night I was awakened by a sudden physical contact. I was instantly wide awake and hovering over me was an apparition of a woman - from the waist up. She had long brown hair and a short sleeve shirt. There was nothing "menacing" about her - just a sense that she was passing through. She hovered for about 30 seconds gradually elevating away and then faded through the wall.

I've never seen such a thing before or since then. Its not anything that I could ever (or even care to) "prove", but I know how I was awakened, know that I was in fact awake, and know what I saw.

Don't feel bad, I saw a UFO. Several other people saw it as well. So, if it was an hallucination it was of the group variety. I suspect that there's some reasonable explanation for it but haven't come up with one that fits what I observed. I know I can't "prove" what I saw and no longer care to analyze the experience (and no, I don't believe in "aliens" per say).

Reacher
2005-Feb-06, 06:46 AM
I've seen something in the sky that confused the hell out of me. I was looking out the window of the car as we drove down a country road, a good 6 or 7 years ago, and when I looked up I could see what looked like a sphere of cloud moving just on the underside of the cloud cover... It was travelling in a single direction, and it didn't so much duck out and then go back into the cloud as it did move for a bit, then kind of disappear, as though it had been discretely absorbed by the cloud above, then reappear, travelling in the same direction. It was small, barely noticable, and it's purely by chance that I saw it at all.
Of course, I still doubt what I saw... I may have just been daydreaming, or actually asleep maybe. But the doubt didn't come untill the next day, because when I saw it, I was very sure I was seeing something. It could be a meteorological effect I've never heard of before.

dgruss23
2005-Feb-06, 02:51 PM
Were you able to move while you were awake? (If you weren't, the explanation's kind of obvious.)

Yes, I was able to move.

dgruss23
2005-Feb-06, 02:56 PM

Don't feel bad, I saw a UFO. Several other people saw it as well. So, if it was an hallucination it was of the group variety. I suspect that there's some reasonable explanation for it but haven't come up with one that fits what I observed. I know I can't "prove" what I saw and no longer care to analyze the experience (and no, I don't believe in "aliens" per say).

Yeah, I haven't spent any time analyzing the situation either. I sized it all up as it was happening. It wasn't a hallucination - and that leaves little more to be said about it. :)

mopc
2005-Feb-06, 03:04 PM

This "apparition hovering over", with sexual (I'm assuming youre a man) overtones is known as succubus, and seems to be quite common. Succubus is a medieval european name for that phenomenon, many "alien" apparitions share features with succubus. There's also incubus, which is more a female thing, when a woman (or a man) sees someone coverng her/him, with sexual significance. Actually the Italian word for nightmare is incubo...

Once I had a semi-succubus - cause I was almost asleep, and a dream transformed into harelip (eerk! :-& ) woman going over me...

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-06, 04:29 PM
cloud melting

mopc
2005-Feb-06, 05:01 PM
cloud melting

excuse me?

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-06, 06:04 PM
KUH-LOUD MEL-TING

you know, cloud melting (http://www.cyberphysiology.com/spoon_bending.asp)

JMV
2005-Feb-06, 06:51 PM
I had a dream where the Lone Gunmen (you know those three geeks from X-Files) stole an intelligent chimp from a secret research station. A couple of weeks later an episode of Lone Gunmen were aired in which they really stole an intelligent chimp from a secret research station. I had never seen the episode before or even heard anything of it. Of course the details where nothing alike in the dream and the episode: in the dream it happened in a Lone Gunmen movie (that of course doesn't exist) and the station was in Russia. And no, it wasn't a déja vu, I remember details of the dream and I told a friend of mine about the weird dream before the episode was aired. But that's not a paranormal incident, just weird one. Most probably just a big coincidence.

Sticks
2005-Feb-06, 07:27 PM
In the run up to the end of 2004, which I maintain was chaotic and for some reason the laws of probability seemed to have got skewed, I kept thinking that something big was coming

One more nasty piece of chaos

Then the Tsunami hit

It is not that I am predicting the future, that is impossible, but I felt last year that I was reading History as it unfolded - Or maybe I was utterly obsessed by 2004 appearing to be in chaotic state

Occam's rasor indicates I am cracking up, although Harvey here disagrees :wink:

jami cat
2005-Feb-06, 07:51 PM
Phenomena that hasn't been explained by science fully:

These aren't in any specific order or age time frame.

1. Ghost- I've seen one, most definitley, a few times, same one. Happened
indoors late at night everytime I saw it. Looked like a white smokey
shape that moved humanoid like, it always turned to look at me too.
Creepy. (13 yrs.) :o

2. Apparition- Yes, one of these too. It was round' noon I was at work at a
customers home where the sunlight through the window made like, what
heat does to the air when you see it edge on, made a human like shape,
and I had a "feeling" of something yet to be decribed. My step father
died from cancer that day around this time, I didn't know until later.
(19 yrs.) :(

3. Something that touches you thats isn't there- Had this a few times, it
actually grabbed me, felt like what a horseshoe crab looks like, about
as big as my hand spread open. Pretty freaky. (16-18 yrs.) :o

4. Something in the sky "far away"- Looked like what a Super Nova would
look like if it happened in the span of about 60 seconds, happened
round' 2:00am. (Later on, I read about Iridium flares but never seen
one to compare the two.) (30 yrs.) :-?

5. Thing in the sky "within the atmostphere"- One night the stars kept
blinking on and off in a kind of pattern of the famous triangle shape
but there were no lights and no sound, it looked "very" ominous. Made
my hairs stand on end. What ever it was seemed real close, 5000 ft.'ish
and really, really BIG, and stealthy. Moved real slow to the north. This
was spring time.(A couple nights later I saw the culprits because they
flew closer to the ground where the street lights shined on them. They
were a flock of birds flying north, in thier triangle way.) (30 yrs.) #-o

6. Dreams- I could write a book on this, here's one. Outta body, had a
dream that I flew to a place, to a house, hid in the attic saw a woman
she was alone. I never had seen this house or the woman. But, later on
and some random events, I drove past the "house" in another state and
the "woman" was getting her mail, I slowed down, hairs on end. Then
kept on going. (20 yrs.) 8-[

Theres some other stuff but can't remember the rest.
Like "missing objects" found where they shoud never be. :x

I believe there's things that science can't explain rationally. But, I try to stay pretty skeptical on weired stuff.

kleindoofy
2005-Feb-06, 08:18 PM
Something happened to me recently that I still don't believe and can't trust really happened. It certainly won't happen again in my lifetime.

I've been working in publishing for 16 years, and recently I had a customer (author) who

1. was well prepared,
2. knew what he was talking about,
3. wasn't in a huge artificial rush.

:o

It must have been an apparition.

mopc
2005-Feb-06, 08:50 PM
Something happened to me recently that I still don't believe and can't trust really happened. It certainly won't happen again in my lifetime.

I've been working in publishing for 16 years, and recently I had a customer (author) who

1. was well prepared,

:D I guess there is a limit to scientific reason and understanding after all!!! Not even the Mythbusters, Scooby, Molder and Scully combined could crack that one!

mopc
2005-Feb-06, 08:56 PM
Phenomena that hasn't been explained by science fully:

These aren't in any specific order or age time frame.

1. Ghost- I've seen one, most definitley, a few times, same one. Happened
indoors late at night everytime I saw it. Looked like a white smokey
shape that moved humanoid like, it always turned to look at me too.
Creepy. (13 yrs.) :o

2. Apparition- Yes, one of these too. It was round' noon I was at work at a
customers home where the sunlight through the window made like, what
heat does to the air when you see it edge on, made a human like shape,
and I had a "feeling" of something yet to be decribed. My step father
died from cancer that day aroung this time. (19 yrs.) :(

3. Something that touches you thats isn't there- Had this a few times, it
actually grabbed me, felt like what a horseshoe crab looks like.
Pretty freaky. (16-18 yrs.) :o

4. Something in the sky "far away"- Looked like what a Super Nova would
look like if it happened in the span of about 60 seconds, happened
round' 2:00am. (Later on, I read about Iridium flares but never seen
one to compare the two.) (30 yrs.) :-?

5. Thing in the sky "within the atmostphere"- One night the stars kept
blinking on and off in a kind of pattern of the famous triangle shape
but there were no lights and no sound, it looked "very" ominous. Made
my hairs stand on end. What ever it was seemed real close, 5000 ft.'ish
and really, really BIG, and stealthy. Moved real slow to the north. This
was spring time.(A couple nights later I saw the culprits because they
flew closer to the ground where the street lights shined on them. They
were a flock of birds flying north, in thier triangle way.) (30 yrs.) #-o

6. Dreams- I could write a book on this, here's one. Outta body, had a
dream that I flew to a place, to a house, hid in the attic saw a woman
she was alone. I never had seen this house or the woman. But, later on
and some random events, I drove past the "house" in another state and
the "woman" was getting her mail, I slowed down, hairs on end. Then
kept on going. (20 yrs.) 8-[

Theres some other stuff but can't remember the rest.
Like "missing objects" found where they shoud never be. :x

I believe there's things that science can't explain rationally. But, I try to stay pretty skeptical on weired stuff.

Maybe those apparitions and "touch" feelings are in the mind only. Our mind is addicted to finding patterns especially human faces, gestures, speech. Sometimes we may recognize them where they really aren't. That's not to say that real "apparitions", ghosts, etc. cannot ALSO exist independently, but I believe in many cases its cognitive overinterpretation (oh, that sounded fancy)

Candy
2005-Feb-06, 09:56 PM

Yes, I was able to move.
Can someone explain this to me in detail? I'm not sure I completely understand. :P

jami cat
2005-Feb-06, 09:56 PM
Maybe those apparitions and "touch" feelings are in the mind only. Our mind is addicted to finding patterns especially human faces, gestures, speech. Sometimes we may recognize them where they really aren't. That's not to say that real "apparitions", ghosts, etc. cannot ALSO exist independently, but I believe in many cases its cognitive overinterpretation (oh, that sounded fancy)

I won't discount the possibility that my "eyes" didnt actually see these events, that my brain interpreted some random particles and then made sence of them, by compiling a "close as possibe", rational thing, to what it was I think I was seeing or feeling. "Like the Birds did that one night", and the "spider like thing that grabbed me".

I discount 99% people see as misinterpreted, including me. There's alway's that little part of me that wonders...hmm :-?

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-07, 09:54 AM

And I'm a Dutchman. [-(

mickal555
2005-Feb-07, 10:29 AM
I remember on our national morning news program (sunrise)-live- the weather guy was at a jail and about 5mins after the weather they got an email saying that someone had seen a figure moving across the background- you know the place were all the guards stand above.... so they went to an add break and when they came back they replayed it and there it was.... I dunno if it was a set up or not but they did look genuinely shocked/supprised.

Sheki
2005-Feb-07, 02:04 PM
I've experienced sleep paralysis on a number of occasions. It is very unpleasant. Most times it is just the variety where one thinks they have awakened, tries to move, but cannot. However, once (during an afternoon nap) I was going through that same version but kept trying to "shake" myself out of it and went through the "layers of sleep" experience. The weird part was that in the final layer I dreamed that I had successfully woken up and gained my feet. I then forced my eyes open only to see my room from a horizontal perspective. So, what was happening was I was still asleep and dreaming that I was upright, but my eyes were open and seeing the world from a lying-down perspective. I will never forget that feeling - "felt" like I was standing up but seeing the world sideways.

I've also (fairly recently) had the "presence" version of sleep paralysis, where an old lady walked into the room and stood by the bed - she leaned over to look me in the face - closer, closer, closer, nose-to-nose, I notice I can't move, almost touching - then she gives this big freakish grin, and I notice she has glowing, but smokey grey eyes. Then, for lack of a better term, I "totally freak out" and forced myself awake.

Up until I had this experience I never really worried about sleep paralysis - it was always kind of fun (or at least interesting). Since then, I have been trying to avoid it. I've noticed that I only ever have it when I am sleeping on my back. Anyone else ever notice this? Anyone ever have to roll-over to see the apparition floating over them? :D

Sheki

Wally
2005-Feb-07, 02:13 PM
KUH-LOUD MEL-TING

you crack me up! :lol:

sidmel
2005-Feb-07, 02:31 PM
I've experienced sleep paralysis before and find it quite disturbing. Seems I have confinement issues left over from a childhood incendent and the paralysis seems to bring on panic attacks. Ugh.

I was saving this for a halloween post, but it's pretty fun.

When I was in college and a lot less jaded and skeptical about the paranormal, I and some friends went to a graveyard with a sordid history with our Ouija board in hand. It was a warm night with a nearly full moon. After trying the Ouija board to no effect I and one of the people I was with decided to explore the older part of the graveyard to see how far back the dates went. After about 20 minutes we decided to find the rest of the group when things started feeling a bit creepy and preternaturally dark. On our way back we quite literally ran into the other group even with all our flashlights turned on and them claiming the had been running around calling our names for some time. Then, being a bit spooked, we booked tail out of their only to emerge into a bright moonlit night the moment we left the graveyard. On our way home we ran past a convoy of cars heading in the direction we had just left, with the last one attempting to run one of cars off the road. Later that night, we got the Ouija board to work and a spirit claiming it was trying to scare us off because ‘bad people’ where on their way.

Man, I sometimes miss college!
:lol:

mopc
2005-Feb-07, 03:02 PM
I've experienced sleep paralysis on a number of occasions. It is very unpleasant. Most times it is just the variety where one thinks they have awakened, tries to move, but cannot. However, once (during an afternoon nap) I was going through that same version but kept trying to "shake" myself out of it and went through the "layers of sleep" experience. The weird part was that in the final layer I dreamed that I had successfully woken up and gained my feet. I then forced my eyes open only to see my room from a horizontal perspective. So, what was happening was I was still asleep and dreaming that I was upright, but my eyes were open and seeing the world from a lying-down perspective. I will never forget that feeling - "felt" like I was standing up but seeing the world sideways.

I've also (fairly recently) had the "presence" version of sleep paralysis, where an old lady walked into the room and stood by the bed - she leaned over to look me in the face - closer, closer, closer, nose-to-nose, I notice I can't move, almost touching - then she gives this big freakish grin, and I notice she has glowing, but smokey grey eyes. Then, for lack of a better term, I "totally freak out" and forced myself awake.

Up until I had this experience I never really worried about sleep paralysis - it was always kind of fun (or at least interesting). Since then, I have been trying to avoid it. I've noticed that I only ever have it when I am sleeping on my back. Anyone else ever notice this? Anyone ever have to roll-over to see the apparition floating over them? :D

Sheki

Very cool... your experiences are very similar to mine. I also had it when I was on my back.
Do you really think that sleep paralysis is a dream of being awake? I always felt my mind was totally awake, because I felt my surroundings in real time, I knew perfectly what time it was, it was reality... though I am puzzled by the fact that I could move my eyelid and eyeballs, but not the rest of my body... not even the head... how could this be? Is the motion control of the eye a different mechanism?

Could be, since tetraplegic people have to comunicate with their eyes...

Sheki
2005-Feb-07, 04:11 PM
Do you really think that sleep paralysis is a dream of being awake?

Well, for me it seems that way. Sometimes I am CONVINCED that I am awake, and that what I am experiencing is absolutely real. It is just the waking up at the end, and the corresponding shattering of the illusion that tells me it was a dream.

I have some pet theories to explain the whole "lying on the back" and "able to move eyes but nothing else" aspects. First, as you noted, I believe the entire experience is a dream and that where it feels like I have control over my eyes, it is really just another aspect of the dream. Second, if I recall correctly, the visual centers in the brain, are toward the back of the skull, so if you are lying on your back, it may provide more oxygenated blood, etc etc, to those areas of the brain.

Taken together, I presume that sleep paralysis is just a type of dream where the visual centers are hyperactive to the exclusion of other brain functions. Hence, you have a visually complex experience that lacks any motor ability.

I have also noticed that it occurs more in afternoon naps than at night. I am not sure why that would be though (perhaps relative levels of serotonin or other sleep-related neurotransmitters during afternoon vs. latenight?)

Sheki

tofu
2005-Feb-07, 04:52 PM
Well people don't normally like to admit this sort of stuff ... but what

Me neither. I don't really believe in what you might call "paranormal" mostly because there are so many scientists out there truly interested in testing paranormal claims, yet nobody seems to be able to produce a testable claim.

Anyway, when I read this, I just had to respond:

Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I woke up suddenly. I've always been a light sleeper and do occasionally awake instantly because of a sound in the house or something. I looked over and standing on the other side of the room was a woman. When I looked at her, she made an expression as if she was the one surprised. Oddly enough, I on the other hand was not surprised. I was only about 10 years old. I have an older sister and, as siblings do, we sometimes played tricks on each other. When I saw this lady, I just assumed it was my sister. I assumed she had come into my room to spit on me or wrap me in duct tape. You know.

She was about the same height as my sister and had the same kind of long blond hair. I couldn't really tell what she was wearing, but I remember seeing her bare feet and I remember that I couldn't see her arms or hands. It was as if she was wearing a robe or something. I didn't really recognize her, but I made what seemed at the time to be the logical assumption, that it was my sister. Who else could it be?

I sat up and glared at her, as if to say, "yeah, I caught you and I'm going to tell mom." But she didn't move, which seemed odd. So I said my sister's name. At that, the lady took exactly one step backwards and was through the bedroom wall.

I went into the next room to look for her but she was gone. I searched the whole rest of the house too, and since I was very much awake at that point, I went downstairs and watched some TV.

And that's it. I really wish that I could come up with a good explanation for it. Given that the story is so similar to dgruss23's, I guess there must be something wired up in the brain that occasionally produces these incredibly realistic apparitions

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-07, 07:52 PM
The investigation is not complete, but I can think of nothing I will find that will explain this phenomenon.

I put up a lot of Xmas lites. To me, it is an art form. I had a circuit that started with a timer in the barn, a 100' cord, and a 3-way plug (3-way #1). Prong 1 of the 3-way was to a string of lites going up 1 leg of the windmill, with a 2nd string plugged in at the end of that line and wrapped around the top 2' of the tower. Prong 2 of the 3-way went to another leg of the windmill. Prong 3 went to an 8' cord with another 3-way (3-way #2)that lit up the other 2 legs of the windmill. The last prong on 3-way #2 went on to light up a couple spruce trees.

For about 2 weeks, the string of lites at the top of the windmill stayed lit, EVEN WHEN THE TIMER WAS IN THE OFF POSITION. Mind you, all the other lites were off, both before and after the 3-way prong that led to this string of lites, including the string into which the supernatural string was plugged.

If I unplugged the timer, the supernatural string went out, indicating that it was getting it's power from the timer. But how in the world was it staying lit when the timer was plugged in but in the off position, when all the lights before & after it in the circuit were off? A friend suggested a leak from the timer that was just enough to lite one string. But why a string in the middle of the circuit? (All strings are the same brand, same length, smae # of lites).

When the weather gets a bit milder I will climb up the windmill & get them down, but do not expect to find any explanation. The lights did this for about 2 weeks, then went back to working as they should.

That's as close to paranormal as I've ever experienced.

Argos
2005-Feb-07, 08:15 PM
de ja vu

I get it often

Cool Mickal, doing it twice! =D>

mopc
2005-Feb-08, 01:48 AM
Oh, how could I forget?

Once when I was about 12, I bought one of those "glass game tables", you know, with the letters of the alphabet and you're suppose to get a group of people around it, point their fingers at the glass, and the glass is supposed to move to the letters of the alphabet in response to your questions, for its is moved by a "spirit".

So there I am with that thing and I wanna do it... my mother tells there's a lady in our building that is psychic, and I and my friends could go to her apartment and try the glass game there. Her daughter was one of the kids, so we went there and did it. The woman was the only grown up, and there were some 5 or 6 kids my age there. She said it had to be a crystal glass.

There I am, "concentrating" on the glass, certain that the thing would never move. No finger was closer than 2 centimeters from the glass. About six or seven minutes after the beginning, THE DAMN THING MOVED. I cannot begin to describe the freezing shiver that went down my spine at that moment, I felt dizzy and almost fainted.... but I didnt. The other kids looked stunned. But everyone kept their fingers there and the psychic woman began asking the questions we had written. Mine was whether I would flunk at school!!! The glass went to the NO sign (and the answer was correct, though its hard to flunk 3rd grade!). The other questions were asked and answered, though I don't remember what they were. That glass moved for half an hour, all fingers CLEARLY not touching it all the time. Actually everyone made sure nobody else's fingers ever got close, no one wanted to be fooled.

Now I really don't know how that lady could have faked the whole thing. Lights were on, we were on a big wooden table, I mean... do you think people can concentrate some kind of electromagnetic/electrostatic energy on a crystal glass???

Gillianren
2005-Feb-08, 02:11 AM
at the risk of getting teased mercilessly . . . .

I read Tarot. I have a few theories, none of them supernatural, as to how it works, mostly to do w/the subconcious. and, sure, a lot of my readings are pretty general, and when I was in college, everyone in the dorms got the "new experiences" reading. well, it's what the cards said.

that being said, when I first started reading Tarot, I was in hs, and I practiced on my classmates, especially in journalism and gym, where we weren't doing much else. and there was a group of girls in my gym class who all went to the same (Baptist, I'm pretty sure, or maybe AME) church, who would spend the entire class telling me I was Hellbound.

well, after a few weeks of this, one of the school's security guards happened to notice what was going on. she went to the same church as the girls, so they all knew her pretty well, and they told her that I was Hellbound. after hearing them out, she asked me for a reading.

what the heck, right? at least she wasn't picking on me, and I needed the practice. so I had her shuffle, and I laid out the cards, and I stopped.

the first thing any decent Tarot reader will tell you is that there is no such thing as a bad card, and even the Death card doesn't necessarily mean death per se. however, cards in combination can give you a bad reading, and here were all of them, spread out in the Celtic Cross pattern.

this was not good, and I asked her if we could just pretend that this had never happened and all go on about her business, and maybe I wanted to go play basketball or whatever anyway. but she said no, tell her what it said.

so I took a deep breath, and I said, "there's a male relative of yours who's really sick, and I . . . yeah. don't want to finish."

she gave me a funny look and said, "my brother-in-law is in the hospital, and he's not expected to make it." we both knew that I had no way of knowing this. even if we hadn't, well, the Nine and Ten of Swords, combined w/the Death card, do tend to impress their meanings on people who don't actually know what they mean. she was no dummy. and then, she looked at the girls who'd been hassling me and said, "this girl has a gift from God. leave her alone."

for the record, no, gift from God is not actually one of my theories about how Tarot works.

oh, and my grandmother saw her mother's ghost, when my grandmother was a girl and her mother had just died. I always just figured Great-Grandma Gillen wanted to check on her kids one last time.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-09, 02:06 AM
So if I get my Tarot read every day for 2 weeks, by a different person each time - should all the readings be pretty much the same? If not, why not?

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-09, 02:44 AM
Mopc: You probably witnessed what is known as the ideomotor effect. 2 cm from the glass isn't very far, and it's possible not to notice or remember someone touching it. Or someone's knee could touch the table, or maybe their elbow or something... At any rate, this stuff is fairly well known.

Farmerjumperdon: Did you open up the timer to see if it was indeed in the "off" position? Perhaps it was defective... Not sure how only one string of lights could be lit by a weak current from it (the lights were in series weren't they?) but this doesn't sound all that bizarre.

Gillianren
2005-Feb-09, 02:51 AM
depends a lot on what else you do during that time. I had a friend who got the same two cards in every reading I'd ever done for her, no matter what. I'd be surprised if she didn't still get those two cards in every reading, but I haven't seen her in four years, and since I was the only person who read her Tarot at the time, I can't answer about readings done by other people.

now, I believe your Tarot readings do change over time--that's why I'm more inclined to believe in Tarot than, say, palmistry, or one of the reasons, anyway--because you do, too. I believe in free will, which means that your decisions affect and alter your future. now, the reading I do for you will show one possible path, not a definite answer. just a likely one based on how things are at this moment and what you're probably going to do about it. however, receiving the message may change your actions (this is different than a future self, which I do admittedly discount on a separate thread), which may change your future.

the thing is, I know Tarot is a belief. I certainly wouldn't base my entire life around what the cards said, in no small part because different readers interpret cards in different ways. and, the more I think about it, it's not all that different from believing in a gift from God.

I do not believe Tarot has absolute predictive power. I have, however, seen it be startlingly right.

mopc
2005-Feb-09, 06:14 AM
Mopc: You probably witnessed what is known as the ideomotor effect. 2 cm from the glass isn't very far, and it's possible not to notice or remember someone touching it. Or someone's knee could touch the table, or maybe their elbow or something... At any rate, this stuff is fairly well known.

Come on, are you serious? That someone's finger touched the thing, I could accept even though the glass was transparent and moved in several directions for 30 minutes or more, and if someone touched it, it was for a few seconds. But KNEES and ELBOWS touching the table??? And that would make the glass move exactly between everybody's fingers, creating cohesive paths onto the letters and YES/NO signs? Now THAT is gullible, Jones... I was 12 but I was not retarded, I saw delicate motion for several minutes...

I'm pretty positive nothing paranormal or "spiritual" was going on there, but there must be a decent explaination, perhaps someone could gather a group and try the experiment... maybe its a case for the Mythbusters!!!

Sticks
2005-Feb-09, 07:29 AM
I once saw a UFO :o

I was in the kitchen at the time 8-[

Yes it was an Unidentified FRYING Object :D

mickal555
2005-Feb-09, 07:37 AM
We have UFO all the time in summer too (cause of the storms summer brings)

We have warning all over the place

Big billbourds that say Watch out for UFO'1s

UFO= unsecured flying object

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-09, 12:26 PM
A few years ago a friend bought some Tarot cards and tried a reading on three of us.

Me first: shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, I cut, whoopie, last card was one of the biggies but I forget which one.

Next guy: shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, he cuts, last four cards are the exact same ones that I had in the same positions. Weird.

Third guy: shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, he cuts, and again the last four cards are the exact same ones that us first two had in the same positions.

Really weird. And no, while good at cards, the one shuffling didn't know how to stack decks; another one of my friends and I'd say definate manipulation of the deck but not this one.

But we shrugged and basically forgot about it until topics like this come up.

weatherc
2005-Feb-09, 03:30 PM

1. was well prepared,

I've worked in graphic design for about 10 years now (not in publishing directly, but it's close enough). With that in mind, I must conclude that you either A) imagined the entire experience, or B) that you are lying.

I'll have to go with A; if your experience had also included "4. paid on time with a check that cleared without any problems", then I would have to go with B. :D

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-10, 03:29 PM
Very good. I like that. Reminds me of an exchange in a movie (can't remember it exactly):

"You're lying."

"How can you tell?"

"Because your lips are moving."

kleindoofy
2005-Feb-10, 09:01 PM
Something happened ... It must have been an apparition.

... I must conclude that you either A) imagined the entire experience, or B) that you are lying.

... if your experience had also included "4. paid on time with a check that cleared without any problems", then I would have to go with B. :D

Even worse: it was paid for by a Foundation, in full, quickly, and they only wanted one free copy. :o I have witnesses! It really happened!

Perhaps I should rent a booth at next years' Frankfurt Book Fair just to tell about this. But then again, nobody would believe me. :cry:

Doe, John
2005-Feb-11, 04:30 AM
The investigation is not complete, but I can think of nothing I will find that will explain this phenomenon.

I put up a lot of Xmas lites. To me, it is an art form. I had a circuit that started with a timer in the barn, a 100' cord, and a 3-way plug (3-way #1). Prong 1 of the 3-way was to a string of lites going up 1 leg of the windmill, with a 2nd string plugged in at the end of that line and wrapped around the top 2' of the tower. Prong 2 of the 3-way went to another leg of the windmill. Prong 3 went to an 8' cord with another 3-way (3-way #2)that lit up the other 2 legs of the windmill. The last prong on 3-way #2 went on to light up a couple spruce trees.

For about 2 weeks, the string of lites at the top of the windmill stayed lit, EVEN WHEN THE TIMER WAS IN THE OFF POSITION. Mind you, all the other lites were off, both before and after the 3-way prong that led to this string of lites, including the string into which the supernatural string was plugged.

If I unplugged the timer, the supernatural string went out, indicating that it was getting it's power from the timer. But how in the world was it staying lit when the timer was plugged in but in the off position, when all the lights before & after it in the circuit were off? A friend suggested a leak from the timer that was just enough to lite one string. But why a string in the middle of the circuit? (All strings are the same brand, same length, smae # of lites).

When the weather gets a bit milder I will climb up the windmill & get them down, but do not expect to find any explanation. The lights did this for about 2 weeks, then went back to working as they should.

That's as close to paranormal as I've ever experienced.

Was this a power generating windmill? Was there any sort of magnet or magnetizable material associated with the moving parts of the wind mill. If so, and if the wind mill was moving its possible that a sufficent current was generated in that strand to light the lights. Just a thought.

Kesh
2005-Feb-11, 05:49 AM
I have the distinct ability to not be seen. (Cue Monty Python music.) I have literally been standing in plain sight of someone during a paintball match, had them shoot the two people beside me... and then walk away. After the match, I asked him about the incident, and he claimed he did not see me standing there.

More regularly, I tend to frighten people by walking up behind them and, expecting they saw or heard me, ask them a question. The resulting jump or scream tells me I was wrong. ;)

Okay, those are pretty mild.

I do seem to sometimes affect electrical systems. Street lamps turning off as I pass, touching a car whose engine won't turn over and having it start for me, etc. Again, pretty coincidental.

Finally, I've been told that I'm very accurate when I do tarot readings.

Obviousman
2005-Feb-11, 07:21 AM
Well, here's a report I put in to the RAAF about a sighting which I couldn't explain.

"1. This is a report of an Unidentified Aerial Sighting at Kewarra Beach (16 46.8S 145 41.2E), Cairns, Queensland, on the evening of Saturday 16 January 1999. An object, round and bright orange in appearance, was sighted by four persons and seen to track from south to pass nearly overhead, finally disappearing (fading from view, not sudden disappearance) in a northerly direction at extreme distance. The weather was approximately 6 OKTAS Cu / Cb, base about 4000 feet, lightning to the east and north-east. Local wind south at 5kts, visibility greater than 10 Km.

2. (deleted; details my history in aviation - 20 years including ATC & aircrew - and military status)

3. At 0952Z on the evening of Saturday 16 January 1999, I was sitting on Kewarra Beach with 3 others persons (1 x adult, 2 x youths; names available on request) when my attention was called by one of the other persons to an object rising in the southern sky. The object at first appeared to be an orange / white flare (albeit moving slower than a projectile flare), and was being viewed through palm trees and other bushes. The object appeared to steadily increase in elevation, clearing the treeline and appearing in plain view, but maintained a relatively steady bearing, with only a slight draw to the north-west, suggesting a course of about 350T. As the object tracked nearly overhead, it gained in apparent size (about double original size) but visible light intensity increased only slightly. It appeared circular (but with a possible spherical suggestion), orange / white in colour, with a scintillation effect giving a suggestion of flame. There was no ‘tail’ or other trail visible from the object. There was no accurate frame of reference in order to judge size or height of the object, but in relation to the cloudbase I would estimate a height of around 3000 feet and a speed of around 300 knots. There was no sound associated with the object, and the wind was nearly calm. The object continued to track north, moving in the direction of Buchan Point / Double Island. When the object was to the north and at an elevation of approximately 70 degrees, it had been visible for about four minutes. It continued to track north, reducing in size and brightness until the size of a bright star. It appeared to remain stationary, perhaps hovering, at a great distance. Elevation was about 5 degrees. It remained in this apparent position for some minutes, it’s brightness being reduced for brief periods as cloud was seen to pass between the object and our position. It finally disappeared from view at about 1003Z.

4. All persons present witnessed the object, and have agreed on it’s appearance and motion. As the object tracked overhead, discussion was had on the possible cause of such an object. Explanations such as aircraft (fixed and rotary), meteorites, space debris re-entering, even air-to-air or other missiles, were discussed and discounted by general agreement. After the event, I contacted Cairns Air Traffic Services to report the object and seek a possible explanation. I was told that a rescue helo had been operating to the north, but a time of such operations was not given. The object did not exhibit the appearance of a searchlight, remaining relatively steady and of a far too orange colour. I was told that there were no procedures for the reporting of such a sighting. I suggested reporting the matter to Defence, and the other party agreed. I later contacted a Duty Operations member at AHQAUST and requested a possible course of action for reporting the matter. This letter (via fax) is the result of the conversation."

I still can't explain it. I'm very familiar with searchlights from helos, and I'm sure it was not one.

Some have said it was ball lightning, but others have said the movement and period it was viewed for discount ball lightning.

I don't know.

I had another experience when I was doing a navigation training exercise on a multi-crewed back in 1995. We were flying to the north across southern NSW when Melbourne air traffic asked us if we could see an unidentified radar contact some distance to the west of us. We all looked but couldn't see anything despite clear skies & good viz.

We had looked for about one minute when I saw a small object far to the west; it was not much more than a dot in the sky. There wasn't any apparent movement, then it suddenly rapidly shot south in a horizontal direction for some 15 degrees in azimuth before stopping. It remained there for a few seconds before again shooting rapidly off to the north at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizon before I lost sight of it.

I was about to report it to the aircraft captain when a call came from Melbourne that the object had disappeared from their screens.

I decided not to report what I had seen.

kleindoofy
2005-Feb-11, 11:19 AM
... I put up a lot of Xmas lites.

... For about 2 weeks, the string of lites at the top of the windmill stayed lit, EVEN WHEN THE TIMER WAS IN THE OFF POSITION.

... If I unplugged the timer, the supernatural string went out, indicating that it was getting it's power from the timer. But how in the world was it staying lit when the timer was plugged in but in the off position, when all the lights before & after it in the circuit were off? ...

Those timer switches usually only turn off one of the two poles, not both. Perhaps with all the wiring you were doing some fluke contact managed to close the other half?

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 05:36 PM
This thead:

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20452&

made me remember of my old thread on weird stuff!! Anyone been having unusual phenomena around?

The only other thing I remembered was once, right before lunch, when I was putting stuff in my closet, and the door swung and hit me so strong... nothing that I can think of could have caused it... I still can't understand it. I though maybe the dog hit it, but the dog was far away... 8-[

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-19, 05:39 PM
Wind? Earthquake? Rapture?

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 05:47 PM
Wind? Earthquake? Rapture?

Earthquakes... hm... here in Sao Paulo maybe once every 45 million years.... I didnt notice any on that particular day... rapture, no... well, we do have winds here.... bingo, found a true scientific explanation! :lol:

sohvan
2005-Mar-19, 06:00 PM
1. I once had a deja vu of a deja vu. That is, I remembered once having a deja vu in a similar situation.

2. I was walking home on a very cold and clear evening. I'm sure it wasn't snowing or raining at all. Under a well lit intersection, I saw these tiny glittering things under the lights everywhere in the air. They seemed much smaller than snowflakes, and I know it wasn't raining anywhere. They looked really cool, though. 8)

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-19, 06:24 PM
I once had a very dark feeling that some money I had rolled up in a small box, where I was living(quite a lot actually), had been stolen!!!!
So I went to the box but it was still there.
A couple of days latter someone stole all the money.
That preminition didnt help me much. :(

It had been there for over a year and I had never had a feeling like that before.

strange....

By the way, I think the experience of the poster of this thread is a variety of Narcolepsy I think.

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 06:58 PM
By the way, I think the experience of the poster of this thread is a variety of Narcolepsy I think.

Narcolepsy?????? :o sounds freaky! are you sure? I'll do some research...

I never had that again.

Evan
2005-Mar-19, 06:59 PM
I had an experience once that does not resemble any of the ones posted so far. I used to work as a technician for Xerox. One day I was working on a large copier with a problem in the electronics. I knew as soon as I saw it exactly what it was, a bad capacitor on one of the eight circuit boards. The boards were mounted in a card cage behind the back cover of the machine. This machine was quite heavy and on casters.

I rolled the machine out from the wall just enough to remove the back cover and slide out the card cage. I removed the PCB retainer and pulled out board 6. I pushed the card cage back in and pushed the machine back against the wall to keep it out of the way. I took a short walk up the block to buy a replacement capacitor from a local store.

I came back to the business office where I was doing the repair. I point out the only people in this office were a receptionist and a secretary at the time. I proceeded to repair the circuit board.

This is where it goes haywire.

I pulled the machine back out and slid the card cage out. Reaching to the back of the machine I slid the circuit board back into the slot and attempted to seat it in the edge connector. It would not seat. I tried a few more times but it still would not seat. Sigh.

I pulled the machine all the way out and got out my flashlight. Keep in mind I did not remove or replace any other circuit card or part, only the one board that I repaired. The edge connector on the board has two connector positions that are slots cut in the edge of the board. They act to engage to plastic key pieces in the edge connector so the board cannot be put in the wrong slot or upside down. Those plastic key pieces are glued into the edge connector.

The board would not insert because one of the plastic keys was in entirely the wrong connector position about an inch from where it should be. This however was impossible as the board was just 15 minutes ago plugged into this edge connector. With the key in the wrong position it was utterly impossible to plug in the board. The only solution was to remove the key from the now wrong position. It was so securely in place, basically a part of the socket, that I nearly destroyed the edge connector socket while removing it.

I did succeed in removing the key and the board slid into place without difficulty. It worked fine.

I have absolutely no explanation what happened. No one touched the machine while I was out. No one would have had any knowledge or the ability to remove and replace the key in a new position. There is no explanation that makes sense.

Perhaps I accidentally walked into an almost identical alternate universe when I went out for the part.

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 07:02 PM

No! Research done. I knew narcolepsy was something else, actually, it's almost the opposite of what I had:

"Narcolepsy is a neurological condition characterized by irresistible episodes of sleep and general sleep disorder. It is a kind of dyssomnia."

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 07:14 PM
Ohmmy Gowd..

Evan's post above reminded me of one of those trivial things that cannot be explained...

The other day was the birthday of a friend of mine. I called from my cellphone to her cellphone to make sure where the party would be.

Then later every body was talking by the table of the bar, and she (the one having a birthday) gets a phone call and says its from me! My phone is in my pocket and is a of folding kind, so its keys are not touching anything, so accidental call can be made...

I check the memory: only one call made to her...

She checks the memory: only one call received from me, the time says it's the second, ghost call. The first is unregistered...

Bermuda triangle stuff!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-19, 07:16 PM
I once called a friend only to hear dialing. Turns out he picked up the phone before it began to ring so that he could call me. When I started yelling past the beeps, he freaked out.

Not unexplained, but weird.

Izunya
2005-Mar-19, 08:03 PM
Let's see . . . I have done the dreaming-I-wake-up thing any number of times. Enough so that I have several "checking" techniques to make sure I'm really awake, such as touching something that should feel cold and making sure I feel it. I've rarely had these dreams get really spooky, though. More often, they're along the lines of, "I get up, I take medicine, I get dressed, I start walking toward the car . . . wait, I'm still in bed. Rats. Okay, I get up . . ."

Once in a while, I get an intense impression of what someone else is feeling. Still nothing inexplicable; I'm just a bit oversensitized to certain body language, I suspect. Still feels fairly eerie, because it's almost always an "alarm." That is, I rarely seem to do it about calm, nice, or harmless people. Happened a bit back when I interned at Community Corrections . . . brr.

My mother had one precognitive event that she never could explain--she flashed on being assaulted on campus, a few days before it happened--and she breaks watches, apparently just by wearing them. However, because she has learned that her watches are profoundly unreliable, she tends to buy cheap watches, making this something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I talked to God in a dream once, and at the time, I was utterly certain about it. I asked him what his commandments were for me, and he told me to make my will free of malice. After I woke up, I decided that whether it was an instruction from God or my own subconscious, it wasn't half bad advice. I try to follow it.

And last but not least, I like to tell my students that I had seen a couple of UFOs--that is, flying objects I couldn't identify at the time. I say "had" because I quickly figured out what the one was, and I think I figured out the other. The easy one I saw when I was about ten years old, at night, and I was sitting sort of sleepy-dreamy in the back seat of the car. I remember looking up at the sky, which had a certain amount of that orange glow from city lights, and seeing something, and thinking, "Okay, I've heard of flying saucers. But that looks like a flying frying pan . . . huh?" It was a sort of dark sillhouette against the sky.

A few minutes later, I heard sirens, which clicked the proper circuit in my brain, and I thought, "Oh, heck, that was Life Flight going over." We weren't that far from the Duke Hospital, you see, and they maintained at least three ambulance helicopters. I had seen them in the daytime--I even knew that some of them were white with blue stripes. But at night, half-asleep and not expecting it, that helicopter looked really weird . . . and of course, from a moving car, I couldn't hear it at all. Just an example of how the ordinary can seem weird at times.

The other UFO was a bit tougher. It was mid-day, maybe around one or two. The sky was clear and blue, with some high wispy clouds in it; cirrus, I think those are. And way high up, what looked like a silvery metal circle zipped one way across the sky, turned on a dime, went zipping back, and vanished. It looked very flat, but to my eyes it did seem solid. And metallic.

I puzzled over this for a while, even asking some of my friends at school, until one guy came up with a possible explanation. There was, he said, a car dealership downtown that had two big spotlights mounted out front. They moved back and forth, and the beams seemed to reach a fair distance up into the air.

Were they on during they daytime, I asked? He didn't know. But the zip-across-zip-back motion did seem about right, from the way he described the movement of the lights. And once I thought about it, there was the equivalent of a movie screen up in the sky for the lights to project on. Those cirrus clouds, remember?

Kind of boring compared with the experiences some of you have had, but I like it, in a way, because I came up with a likely explanation. I use it as an example whenever my students bring up UFOs, to illustrate that "weird in the sky" does not automatically equal "aliens."

Izunya

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-19, 08:28 PM
sleep paralysis (paralysis while falling asleep or waking),

http://www.helpguide.org/aging/narcolepsy.htm

+ I saw the same thing described on TV, they even mentioned the dark presents of someone.

This might be the only syptom for you, if you are lucky!

Klausnh
2005-Mar-19, 08:50 PM
Street lamps turning off as I pass,
I thought I was the only one that noticed this. That seems to happen to me too. I've always assumed it was because I was aware of my surroundings, but then I was walking past a street light, talking with some friends, when the street light went out. From the look one of their faces and subsequent discussions, they had never noticed anything like that before. Why would they notice it for the first time when I was there?
Sleep paralysis (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=80536&#80536)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-19, 08:52 PM
Huh. That happens to me too. Never thought it was weird, just funny.

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 08:53 PM
Izunya's post above reminded me of another thingy.

August 1995, east side of Munich, Germany. I'm 18. I was on an exchange program there, at Frau Depisch's house, cool lady. One night I had a dream... It started with me at the lounge of a building with wide windows facing the main square of my city of Santos, here in Brazil. I was holding a glass of champagne and talking to a sexy woman.

Suddenly, a loud, booming male 50's-God-movie sounding voice said, veeeeery sloooowly, the word FEEEEE LIIIIIIII CIIIIIIIII DAAAAAA DEEEEEEE - felicidade, happiness in Portuguese. The voice was so overwhelming, like it's coming from everywhere, absurdly goddish.

I tried, in the dream, to rationalize it: maybe someone fiddling with the loudspeaker system of the building! As soon as I had that thought, the building suddenly detached from the ground and started moving toward the square! :o

I wake up, so frozen with fear, for the dream was so real. It didn't even feel like waking up, just the dream was over and I was "back in the real world" again. It actually took me several minutes to realize where I was. I repeated the dream in my mind so I didnt forget it, and promised to myself that I would never let the overwhelming power of that dream fade away as that memory got older.

I don't know how long it took, maybe an hour or two, but I wound up relaxing (it was still the middle of the night) and began feeling sleepy again. I was about to fall asleep again, when I "heard" in my mind, the crushing banging of a gongo, like those Chinese ones, that woke me up once again and made me stay awake for several minutes and scared the hell out of me! 8-[

I thing we have a "God" warning system in the brain that makes us have these experiences, a sort of warning of consciousness from deep inside our minds... and I am about the least religious person you could possibly find!!!!

Klausnh
2005-Mar-19, 09:18 PM
Let's see . . . I have done the dreaming-I-wake-up thing any number of times. Enough so that I have several "checking" techniques to make sure I'm really awake, such as touching something that should feel cold and making sure I feel it.
Try reading. If you can read, you're awake. I think I read somewhere that the reading part of the brain gets shut down while your asleep.

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 09:33 PM
Let's see . . . I have done the dreaming-I-wake-up thing any number of times. Enough so that I have several "checking" techniques to make sure I'm really awake, such as touching something that should feel cold and making sure I feel it.
Try reading. If you can read, you're awake. I think I read somewhere that the reading part of the brain gets shut down while your asleep.

Funny.... indeed I don't recall having read anything in any dream...

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-19, 09:40 PM
I have. Just last night in fact. A big storage tank marked "Eyes." Don't ask.

mopc
2005-Mar-19, 10:42 PM
I have. Just last night in fact. A big storage tank marked "Eyes." Don't ask.

Well, maybe small signs.... what about actual reading? A sentence, for instance... because I recall dreaming of movie plots... but not novels!!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-19, 10:43 PM
I don't really remember dreams well, so I couldn't tell you if I've ever read more than that. So, a word, yes, a sentence, no proof either way.

um3k
2005-Mar-20, 12:45 AM
Well, sometimes I think I am actually controlling what happens in my dream, but then I wake up and wonder if I was really just dreaming that I was controlling my dream. I still can't be sure. I don't think I ever will be.

Another time, when I was much younger, I dreamt that my parents left me at home with the Addams family. I kept trying to hide, but they kept telling me what was spooky about where I was hiding.

Once I stayed in bed until one p.m. drifting back and forth from reality to dreaming. The dream was like a video game, I was at a mansion (or more likely a fancy hotel) that was being overrun by zombies, and I had to escape by boat. I say it was like a video game because I kept screwing up and having to start over.

I've had lots of weird dreams, but unfortunately I remember only small pieces of them. I would love to remember the full plots.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 01:04 AM
I think I win in the weird department. I'll give you two examples...

A few weeks ago, I dreamt that I was doing homework on the floor of my bedroom. My entire class was there, of course. There was, unfortunately, a goose sitting on my binder. So naturally I decided to grab it and roll to get it off. Somehow it ended up on my neck and face, and it smothered me to death. I woke up feeling kind of strange.

And last night, I dreamt that I was walking along a highway to get downtown, and I passed a tanker truck that had crashed into the large tank marked "Eyes." I immediately assumed that the tank (which was inside of an open-faced building) was for an eyeglasses shop. As I walked by, the tanker started emitting a green gas, so I ran up a handy, near-by girder (The city was half-destroyed).

Two small girls were trapped in the gas, and had the roll of Saran-wrap that they were carrying dissolve (they were fine). A cube-van pulled up, and a bunch of people in hazmat suits hopped out to suck the gas into containers. I put two and two together and realized that the truck crash was a set up by the eyeglasses company (who the guys in the hazmat suits worked for) to test a new gas that would dissolve contact lenses rather than making people remove them on the public, so they could sell more contact lenses (evidently they made contacts out of Saran-wrap). Anyway, I thought this experiment was horrible and unethical.

Meanwhile, the gas had been cleaned up, and I climbed down. Two of the people in hazmat suits got out of their suits (and this was really cool; shiny metal suits splitting along seams with steam and light coming out), one man and one woman. They opened up some sort of device (also cool) and pointed it at me. It had a weird blue glow that I knew was the Cerenkov effect, so I was a bit afraid of radiation. It was all fine until the man ordered one of the people still in hazmat suits to put "the mirror" behind me. Evidently this "mirror" reflected gamma radiation, since the device started to glow a bright green. I got out of there quickly.

Somehow I ended up in the house (!) of the guy who authorized the experiment and the attempt to silence me (with the radiation device). It turns out that he was my uncle, and that he didn't know I knew about the experiment. But he was suspicious, so I had to tell him about my journey to his house past the crash, without revealing the whole gas thing, or I'd be killed. And that's where I woke up.

Top that. :)

Edited to fix the format.

mopc
2005-Mar-20, 01:12 AM
Indeed untoppable - I'll never dream of the "Cerenkov effect" in my entire life even if I figure out whatahell that is! :o

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 01:14 AM
This (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Blueglow.jpg) is the Cerenkov Effect.

It was kind of scary.

ToSeek
2005-Mar-20, 01:14 AM
I don't really remember dreams well, so I couldn't tell you if I've ever read more than that. So, a word, yes, a sentence, no proof either way.

Yes, in dreams I can read individual words but only if I really concentrate. If there are other words around the one word, they're all a blur.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 01:15 AM
Sounds about right.

Izunya
2005-Mar-20, 04:26 AM

Mine must not get shut down entirely, then; might explain some of my weird sleep patterns. I have read things in dreams, although they were mostly words strung together in a way that made no particular sense. In other dreams, I pick up a book, start reading, and then find myself in the story--often trying to get the plot back on track, or rescue a favorite character, or argue with someone unreasonable about how the movie adaptation should go.

My SO says that my dreams are considerably more vivid than his are, and indeed, I have occasionally been able to use them to generate ideas for fiction. Not to help plot, though; they get too weird too fast.

Another small and fairly everyday weirdness: my SO once managed the Art of Not Being Seen to such an extent that he walked with some friends across campus and had hung out in the apartment living room for a while before someone whom he had walked with noticed him, startled, and said, "When did you get here?"

My SO said flippantly, "Oh, I just winked in," which apparently weirded out some of our friends more than he had ever intended. I think a few of the more superstitious ones believed him. At any rate, their version--the one where he sort of mysteriously was there--became one of our group's favorite little tales, and it was a while before I heard my SO's considerably more mundane account.

Izunya

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 03:42 PM
Okay, here's a new one, inspired by this very thread!

I was reading about someone having lucid dreams (I'm not sure who it was, sorry) and I decided to learn a bit about them. So I went over to wikipedia and looked them up. They had a method to ensure you have lucid dreams, and it seemed harmless, so I decided to try it. I was very sceptical (especially since it said to "concentrate on your breathing." I thought I would just fall asleep), but it worked... after a fashion.

This is where it gets weird. I was able to go to sleep... but I was conscious the whole time! The first time I tried, it scared the heck out of me. I really didn't like the way that everything went black, the way I was paralysed, and the way that I wasn't the one controlling my breathing. So I just sat up. No problem. It seems that I could easily override my body at any time.

So I tried again. Fell back asleep pretty quickly, and boy, did it get weird. I heard and felt myself snoring. Not normal. I also found out that it is possible to move while asleep without waking up (I had a bad cramp in my back that I relaxed). I counted four distinct periods of REM sleep. (Those eyes really do move rapidly) I'd say I was able to maintain that state for about an hour and a half (I was able to check my clock when I had to get up to, uh, relieve something).

Anyway, I wasn't able to have a lucid dream, I just kind of went under after that and I dreamt normally.

Also, it seems that I was able to sleep with my eyes open for a bit, and could see and hear things just fine the whole time.

Now I know the whole thing wasn't just a weird dream because I never allowed my mind to sleep (it just got dark) and when I got up to go to the bathroom, what I was seeing when I was asleep (my ceiling and my window) was exactly what I saw when I woke up; no disorientation at all.

So, make of that what you will. :)

Edit: Looks like it was um3k's post that inspired all of this!

Edit 2: Spelling.

um3k
2005-Mar-20, 04:13 PM
Yes Mr. Canuck (?), you most definitely win in the weirdness department. =D>

Edit: Looks like it was um3k's post that inspired all of this!
I inspired something? Cool! \:D/

Last night I had a whole bunch of funky dreaming going on. I'd tell you about it, but I barely remember anything. I just know it was weird. :o

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 04:17 PM
Hey, you can try it too. All I did was relax and think "In" when I breathed in and "Out" when I breathed out. Just let your body take over your breathing. The weirdest part is that you can think about whatever you want to. I was pretty much obsessed with "Okay, this is strange" and "Boy, wait until I tell someone!" but I'm sure you could do schoolwork or something in that state.

You can always sit up if it gets too weird.

Klausnh
2005-Mar-20, 04:18 PM

Mine must not get shut down entirely, then; might explain some of my weird sleep patterns. I have read things in dreams, although they were mostly words strung together in a way that made no particular sense. In other dreams, I pick up a book, start reading, and then find myself in the story--often trying to get the plot back on track, or rescue a favorite character, or argue with someone unreasonable about how the movie adaptation should go.

I tried googling for more info on reading and dreaming and was only able to come up with lucid dreaming sites. I must have read the reading/dreaming bit in a lucid dreaming book. So there is no research which confirms that you cannot read while dreaming. Personally, I have not been able to read in my dreams. I have, since a very young age been able to control some of my dreams. Whenever, dreams got to scary, I would just change my dreams.
Reminds me of a more recent dream I had while living alone:
I was babysitting my 3 year old niece while she was in a swimming pool. I was distracted and when I returned my attention to her, she had drowned. My mind went blank, I could not function, I was freaking out when a female voice whispers "It's OK Klaus. It's only a dream". At that point I awoke.

Izunya, when you say "I pick up a book, start reading", do you actually remember reading the words or do you kust dream of picking up and looking at a book?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 04:22 PM
One way to tell if you're dreaming (apparently) is to look at some text. Look away and then look at the text again. If it's changed, your dreaming.

A few methods of testing whether one is dreaming or not is to read some text, look away, and read it again, or to look at your watch, and remember the time, look away and look back. The time will have changed by a few hours. In the real world, the text or time will not change to that extent; in a dream, observers have found that text will often change. Clues to the dream state such as this are known as dream signs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

So that implies that some people can read while dreaming.

mopc
2005-Mar-20, 04:28 PM
In the real world, the text or time will not change

No kidding? :o Unless you're reading wikipedia!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 04:31 PM
You know, that's a fairly good point...

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-20, 04:37 PM
I used to get lucid dreams, I can't say I liked them much!!!

Just think, if your walking along the road, in a dream, and then you suddenly realize that things are not quite right(again) and that the reason for this is that you are dreaming, that knowledge can be quite scary.
You know you are lying home in bed but you are dressed and walking about, what do you do??!!!!

I got quite scared once and had to tell myself to calm down, I just wanted to wake up(properly) but how?

The answer is to calm down and just get back into the dream to the extent, that you forget that it is a dream. And then you can just re-enter normal sleeping and then, when the time comes, just wake up properly, much relieved.

I wouldn't recommend it, plus you can't always control things like they say, like flying etc, the best flying dreams I've had in the past are ones where I have little or no idea that I am flying.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 04:41 PM
I've had a few lucid dreams, and I've always thought the experience was quite cool. Now this "waking-sleep" thing that I've got going is even cooler!

Edit: Spelling

mopc
2005-Mar-20, 04:47 PM
Canuck, tell us more about those lucid dream techniques!!! Or is that all?

A perfectly explainable yet very weird stuff that happens to me sometimes when I have a cold is that I can blow air through my eyes! Yes, if I block my nose, and force air, it sometimes finds a channel all the way to my left eye, going out between the eyeball and the lower eyelid. 8-[
Fortunately air only, no icky stuff... :o

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-20, 04:53 PM
being awake and asleeps sounds very much like a description of a sensory deprivation tank experience I read(richard faynman book).

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-20, 04:55 PM
mopc: That's pretty much it. I just did what this says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_induction_of_lucid_dreaming

I can tell you that the first two steps work, but I haven't been able to do anything with the third. So no lucid dreams yet.

Added: Actually, now that I think of it, I was able to see images when I had my eyes closed. They kind of flowed from one scene to another. I remember that Garfield was one of the images. But that's when I fell unconscious.

Wally
2005-Mar-20, 05:00 PM
1. I once had a deja vu of a deja vu. That is, I remembered once having a deja vu in a similar situation.

2. I was walking home on a very cold and clear evening. I'm sure it wasn't snowing or raining at all. Under a well lit intersection, I saw these tiny glittering things under the lights everywhere in the air. They seemed much smaller than snowflakes, and I know it wasn't raining anywhere. They looked really cool, though. 8)

I was recently ice fishing on a cold, clear Sat. morning, and as the sun crested above the trees to the East, the air suddenly became filled with tiny "sparklies". A truly beautiful site caused by tiny ice cystals in the air. I think they're of the same nature that causes sun and moon "dogs" when suspended way up in the atmosphere.

Izunya
2005-Mar-20, 09:13 PM
Izunya, when you say "I pick up a book, start reading", do you actually remember reading the words or do you kust dream of picking up and looking at a book?

It depends.

Often, when I pick up a book in a dream, it reads somewhat like this:

"When the bathtub a whole lot of major badness coelecanth lots of teeth why did you do when he comes for you? Madre di dios forgot to do what might be giants . . ."

And so on, but a lot more random than that. I can read the words, I even notice phrases strung together, but sense? Nope. And yes, when I look back at them, the words have changed.

What generally happens in this sort of dream is that I think, very hard, to the book, "Okay, you're supposed to be (whatever the title is), and this is how you're supposed to go . . ."

And then I'm in the story. Often working very hard to keep it on track, and keep elements of other stories from ruining everything. Men in Black do not work in Middle Earth, oh, my precious, no. :D Alternately, I may be in a story and remember that I was really ticked because a character I liked died, and so I'll try to rescue them, which normally involves uphill battles against a sort of "plot inertia" that seems determined to thwart me. Time is loose in these dreams; I can sometimes go back and "edit" them by deciding, No, that is absolutely not how that happened, and trying it again. Reminds me of what little I've seen of that Prince of Persia game, which is on my list for when I have any money.

So I suppose I can't read in my dreams, if by reading you mean, "Look at words, comprehend them, see that they make sense from phrase to phrase and from sentence to sentence, and have them make the same sense when you look back at them." But the individual words come through just fine.

Izunya

mopc
2005-Mar-24, 01:39 AM
I suppose dreams are too visceral to include reading.... reading is too conscious... nobody dreams that they are reading a book... maybe a sentence, bot a book or a paragraph!

Van Rijn
2005-Mar-24, 01:57 AM
I also have attempted to read a book in a dream, and it turns into nonsense phrases, or the pages become harder to see. Most dream events are like that. I once dreamed up how to build an anti-gravity machine, "woke up" and wrote it down then went back to sleep. In the morning it looked something like:

Black. (scribble) Resistor! (scribble) Strawberry jam. Positrons. Smells bad.

I was pretty young at the time.

Strangely enough, though, I have dreamed a real solution to a hard programming problem, and others have told me they had the same experience. Probably it is because it is something you know quite a lot about and have been thinking about intensely and recently.

mopc
2005-Mar-24, 03:29 AM
Makes me think of that story of the guy who discovered those chemical rings... what are they called?

Maksutov
2005-Mar-24, 03:42 AM
Makes me think of that story of the guy who discovered those chemical rings... what are they called?
Benzene.

Friedrich August Kekulé had this dream:

"...I turned my chair toward the fire place and sank into a doze. Again the atoms were flitting before my eyes. Smaller groups now kept modestly in the background. My mind's eye sharpened by repeated visions of a similar sort, now distinguished larger structures of varying forms. Long rows frequently rose together, all in movement, winding and turning like serpents; and see! what was that? One of the serpents seized its own tail and the form whirled mockingly before my eyes. I came awake like a flash of lightning. This time also I spent the remainder of the night working out the consequences of the hypothesis."

Messenger
2005-Mar-24, 03:44 AM
I dreamed of spaceships once. Needle shaped bodies; tapering at the top and bottom, on sort of tripod struts attached to the midpoint. They were white, like space shuttles. Don't know what the propulsion system was, because in the dream they were able to lift off right where they were. It looked like a park; perfect green grass, as far as the eye could see.

mopc
2005-Mar-24, 03:44 AM
Bingo! Kekulé!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you call that ring in English? In Portuguese it's "anel benzoico" or something....

mopc
2005-Mar-24, 03:50 AM
Anyone been to a spiritist session?

Maksutov
2005-Mar-24, 03:58 AM
I've always heard it called just a "benzene ring", although it's formally described as a closed, hexagonal, six-membered ring.

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-24, 04:21 AM

there's nothing special about spiritualists. apart from the jossticks.

what people don't seem to realise is that ghosts have no idea what is going on, they don't even watch the TV.

People in heaven just keep nodding and winking, so they're not going to tell people anything interesting.

then there are demons.
People wouldn't buy a used car off a demon yet they will go to a spiritualist and get their whole lives decisions made by them.

mopc
2005-Mar-24, 04:27 AM

there's nothing special about spiritualists. apart from the jossticks.

what people don't seem to realise is that ghosts have no idea what is going on, they don't even watch the TV.

People in heaven just keep nodding and winking, so they're not going to tell people anything interesting.

then there are demons.
People wouldn't buy a used car off a demon yet they will go to a spiritualist and get their whole lives decisions made by them.

I bought a used car off a demon once. Escort 2.0 XR3 1994. Luckily I got rid of that soon enough. Some angel bought it.

JMV
2005-Mar-24, 06:43 PM
I repeated the dream in my mind so I didnt forget it, and promised to myself that I would never let the overwhelming power of that dream fade away as that memory got older.
I keep a dream journal. There are currently 13 really wacky dreams in it. Unfortunately usually I just wake up and remember the dream and decide that I should add it my journal, but when I eventually have the chance to write it down I have forgotten what the dream was all about. I remember having an interesting dream but I can't remember what happened in it.

I have read things in dreams, although they were mostly words strung together in a way that made no particular sense. In other dreams, I pick up a book, start reading, and then find myself in the story--often trying to get the plot back on track, or rescue a favorite character, or argue with someone unreasonable about how the movie adaptation should go.
I had a dream once that had a strange plot. I was one of the characters. In the middle of the story I started seeing text in front of my eyes, superimposed on the scene. The dream morphed so that I was reading a book about the story I was in earlier.

I once dreamed up how to build an anti-gravity machine, "woke up" and wrote it down then went back to sleep. In the morning it looked something like:

Black. (scribble) Resistor! (scribble) Strawberry jam. Positrons. Smells bad.
Once I fell asleep on a chemistry lesson. Teacher was writing formulas on the blackboard and we were supposed to copy them to our notebooks. I woke up and looked at the page I was writing on. It was full of gibbberish, the text looked like chemistry formulas but didn't make any sense, just some random numbers and letters.

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-24, 06:52 PM
JMV wrote

I keep a dream journal. There are currently 13 really wacky dreams in it. Unfortunately usually I just wake up and remember the dream and decide that I should add it my journal, but when I eventually have the chance to write it down I have forgotten what the dream was all about. I remember having an interesting dream but I can't remember what happened in it.

I should get one of those personal digital recording devices and then you can just recall the story into it as you have your breakfast.

mopc
2005-Mar-24, 08:37 PM
Well, I think writing is much better.... just write it in your computer.

teddyv
2005-Mar-24, 08:42 PM
Sonce we're into dreams right now, and I haven't seen anyone else mention it...

My morning alarm used to be a radio alarm. It was unbelievable the bizarre dreams I would have as my brain heard the radio, then started making up dreams to go along with the music or the DJ's talking.

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-24, 08:45 PM
I used to sleep with the radio on and then have dreams where I would have a whole heap of radios(hundreds) all different makes and I would go from one to the other trying to switch it off so that I could sleep.
Of course non of the switches could work as they wern't the real radio making the sound.

mopc
2005-Mar-24, 08:48 PM
I had a lot of that too... the alarm clock goes on and I start dreaming that there is some source of the annoying noise in my dream, I try to smash stuff, nothing works (luckily, imagine if it did)...

I wonder one thing: do we dream in real time?

Stregone
2005-Mar-24, 10:32 PM
Back in highschool I would lay there in bed after my alarm went off, and I was so out of it 15 minutes later I would finaly think to myself, "What the hell is that noise?!"

Messenger
2005-Mar-25, 05:51 AM
mopc wrote:

Yes. The prevailing theory used to be that what felt like a long time in a dream, was actually just minutes or seconds. However, that has been disproved; our dreams are actually as long as we think they are.

Eroica
2005-Mar-25, 11:52 AM
Once, when I was researching the concept of lucid dreaming, I had a few lucid dreams myself. The first began with a false awakening, where I woke up and got out of bed, but then realised that I was still asleep and having a lucid dream.

Unfortunately they only lasted a few seconds at a time so I never had a chance to do anything exciting. I've been meaning to check out the NovaDreamer, which is a device to induce lucid dreams.

On another point, I have sometimes been awoken at night by someone talking in my bedroom. At first this unnerved me, because there was no-one there. Then it dawned on me: I was talking in my sleep and waking myself up!

It's really weird to catch yourself sleeptalking as you awake, and feel that you're listening to another person. It's quite dislocating.

mopc
2005-Mar-25, 06:38 PM
*spooky* :o

mickal555
2005-Mar-27, 03:24 AM
mopc wrote:

Yes. The prevailing theory used to be that what felt like a long time in a dream, was actually just minutes or seconds. However, that has been disproved; our dreams are actually as long as we think they are.
Hmmm, well I set my alarm to go off at 6:00am it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP...... every mourning I spend in my dream about an hour turning this "radio" off I usally end up burying it and somehow this dampens the sound, anyway after about an hour (when I start to accept in my dream that this is going to like this for the rest of my life) I wake up. When I look at my alarm it reads ~6:01am.

Besides its been proven you dream about 7 or 8 dreams a night and you spend about 1/2 hour dreaming all up.

mopc
2005-Mar-27, 04:41 AM
mopc wrote:

Hmmm, well I set my alarm to go off at 6:00am it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP...... every mourning I spend in my dream about an hour turning this "radio" off I usally end up burying it and somehow this dampens the sound, anyway after about an hour (when I start to accept in my dream that this is going to like this for the rest of my life) I wake up. When I look at my alarm it reads ~6:01am.

Besides its been proven you dream about 7 or 8 dreams a night and you spend about 1/2 hour dreaming all up.

An hour? How do you reckon time in the dream? Dreams don´t have an hour of "story line".

I think we dream in real time, roughly, because once I was asleep in the morning when my girlfriend turned on the tv about 9 am to watch Gilmore Girls, her favorite show. Then I woke up and told her how I had dreamed about Gilmore Gilrs #-o but it was all crazy: the plot was how the girl´s boyfriend had built her a car :o and how the grandfather hated it, saying it was not safe - that was the exact plot of the show, she told me, later I watched the episode and the car part in the end lasts some 15-20 minutes, the car was of course totally different (I dreamed of a BMW SUV, the kid built a 1970 Chevrolet or something) but the dialogue and the plot were cleary recognizable, dreamt in real time or near it.

That was the only time I had such an experience.

I´ve also had alarm clock dispair dreams but they always seem to last the exact real time of the dream, some minutes.

Of course we may dream we have the sensation of a long time, but the dream itself doesnt need to be real time.

Obviousman
2005-Mar-27, 07:08 AM
I had another strange one - which I doubt anyone can explain.

I was doing my navigator training with the military in Australia. On the weekend, I went down to the Mess in the morning, and read the paper. I saw an article about how Lorne Green, the actor, had died.

Later in the day we had a meeting about an upcoming function. During the discussions, I made a joke about how we could get Lorne Green. Everyone looked at me funny. I explained that Lorne Green was the actor from Bonanza & Battlestar Galactica, and that he had died the previous day. My joke fell flat and we continued on with the meeting.

Next weekend, one of the other students came up to me and said "Hey! Didn't you say something about a Lorne Green last week?". I said yes, that he had died. The person then showed me that days paper, announcing that Lorne Green had died the previous day. It was the same article I remembered that I had read.

We went back to look for the paper that I had seen. There was nothing about Lorne Green, Bonanza, or Battlestar Galactica in it. All the papers from the previous weekend were still there.

We did some checking and found out that Lorne Green had indeed died the previous day - not the previous weekend I had mentioned it.

I had about 10 witnesses to the fact that I read about his death some six days before he died.

I can't explain it. I did become a bit of a legend for it, though!

WaxRubiks
2005-Mar-27, 02:31 PM
I read in Newscientist(i think it was) that dreams are made up in the same was that movies are, ie if you take a long journey in a car you will only dream eddited highlights, this is how dreams seem to be longer that they realy are.

mopc
2005-Mar-27, 08:59 PM
I had another strange one - which I doubt anyone can explain.

I was doing my navigator training with the military in Australia. On the weekend, I went down to the Mess in the morning, and read the paper. I saw an article about how Lorne Green, the actor, had died.

Later in the day we had a meeting about an upcoming function. During the discussions, I made a joke about how we could get Lorne Green. Everyone looked at me funny. I explained that Lorne Green was the actor from Bonanza & Battlestar Galactica, and that he had died the previous day. My joke fell flat and we continued on with the meeting.

Next weekend, one of the other students came up to me and said "Hey! Didn't you say something about a Lorne Green last week?". I said yes, that he had died. The person then showed me that days paper, announcing that Lorne Green had died the previous day. It was the same article I remembered that I had read.

We went back to look for the paper that I had seen. There was nothing about Lorne Green, Bonanza, or Battlestar Galactica in it. All the papers from the previous weekend were still there.

We did some checking and found out that Lorne Green had indeed died the previous day - not the previous weekend I had mentioned it.

I had about 10 witnesses to the fact that I read about his death some six days before he died.

I can't explain it. I did become a bit of a legend for it, though!

Precog!

mopc
2005-Apr-08, 02:42 AM
I am watching the Matrix right now on tv and that dejavu scene just reminded me of a dream I had where I saw the same truck twice in like five seconds going down the street, so I noticed I was in a dream and woke up!!!!

But that's not actual dejavu, is it? Dejavu is when you see something and have the feeling you've seen that already, even though it's not possible...

Evan
2005-Apr-08, 06:47 AM
I dreamed of the shuttle breaking up and falling into water about 10 days before the Challenger accident. I dreamed of a major fire on a road in the Berkeley area about a week before the Caldecott tunnel fire happened. I dreamed about a line of tornados sweeping across a valley in Ontario about a week before they did. I also dreamed of a lottery number that had three numbers ending in zero and bought a ticket the next day with 10, 20 30 and won ten bucks because those numbers came up. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember the other numbers.

I told my wife about each of these dreams in advance of the occurence. There have been others. It really weirded her and me out, big time. I offer no explanation as it contradicts what I believe to be scientifically reasonable. Yet, it happened. Since I have my severe allergies under control I no longer have these dreams.

Eroica
2005-Apr-08, 10:40 AM
Since I have my severe allergies under control I no longer have these dreams.
In the interests of science I propose that you unleash your severe allergies and post on the BABB brief accounts of any such dreams you may have in the future. :D

Nicolas
2005-Apr-08, 10:42 AM
Evan, did you also dream of other disasters (like winning the lottery :D ) that did not take place?

Evan
2005-Apr-08, 03:34 PM
Not really. These dreams are different than ordinary dreams. They have a "you are there" reality to them and do not contain obvious impossibilities or sudden jumps or non-sequiturs. I would wake up from them in a cold sweat with every image and detail sharp and clear in my mind. I wrote them down and dated them. In all I had about six or seven such dreams at a time when my gluten intolerance caused me to be intolerant of a wide range of other foods. In particular, I could not tolerate certain fatty acids. They had a pronounced psychoactive effect. This is not unheard of. Certain fatty acids directly affect the nervous system.

There is no way that I could repeat the experience as part of my condition was that I was starving to the point of clinical treatment.

All of the dreams came to pass in some unmistakeable manner.

WaxRubiks
2005-Apr-08, 07:17 PM
I've had premonition dreams and I know what Evans means by knowing that they are different, they have a kind of feel to them(perhaps of reality), but my dreams have usually been about TV programs or films(even years ahead of showing) not about disasters, but the imagery on TV is often unusual or "big" or strange that is not surprising that they would get into a premonition dream and be remembered upon waking up.

mopc
2005-Apr-10, 05:28 AM
what about dejavu? Any body had that? I may have had that, of course there is no way to prove it

Russ
2005-Apr-10, 06:10 AM
I've seen something in the sky that confused the hell out of me. I was looking out the window of the car as we drove down a country road, a good 6 or 7 years ago, and when I looked up I could see what looked like a sphere of cloud moving just on the underside of the cloud cover... It was travelling in a single direction, and it didn't so much duck out and then go back into the cloud as it did move for a bit, then kind of disappear, as though it had been discretely absorbed by the cloud above, then reappear, travelling in the same direction. It was small, barely noticable, and it's purely by chance that I saw it at all.
Of course, I still doubt what I saw... I may have just been daydreaming, or actually asleep maybe. But the doubt didn't come untill the next day, because when I saw it, I was very sure I was seeing something. It could be a meteorological effect I've never heard of before.

From your description it sounds exactly like the landing light on an aircraft just above a cloud layer. "It was travelling in a single direction, and it didn't so much duck out and then go back into the cloud as it did move for a bit, then kind of disappear, as though it had been discretely absorbed by the cloud above, then reappear, travelling in the same direction."

It sounds like the pilot was working some switches on the instrument pannel and accidentally hit the landing light switch. You saw the light beam moving along ragged cloud bottoms, causing the motion you observed. The pilot noticed the light and switched it off, causing you to see the cloud absorb it.

I could be totally wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me. ;)

Russ
2005-Apr-10, 06:29 AM

That's wierd. I read in my dreams all the time. I guess because I read so much when I'm awake. What really makes it wierd is that I'm usually aware that I'm dreaming that I'm reading. :o

Russ
2005-Apr-10, 07:20 AM
what about dejavu? Any body had that? I may have had that, of course there is no way to prove it

I've had de javu all my life. From as early as I can remember. I have both dreamed and "out of nowhere" recognition type de javu.

An example of each:

1) I was out on a business trip and I kept dreaming I had a very distinctively shaped package on my desk. Every time I'd call the office I'd ask if I'd gotten a package. The answer was always no. I got back late on a Friday and stopped at the office to drop of some stuff. Just on a lark, I looked in my office, you guessed it, there was the package I'd dreamed about sitting on my desk. It turned out to be a box of cigars a cigar smoking customer sent me as a joke. He knew I'm allurgic to tobacco.

2) My salesman and I had been called to a customer in northern Wisconsin for what we thought would be a rejection of our proposal and a reading of the riot act for our proposal being "out of scope". As we approached the front door of the building I had this vision of the salesman and me sitting the engineers office with the engineer using a very strange sentence to tell us we'd won the contract. I mentioned this to the salesman who thought I was having the DT's from last nights drinking.

When the engineer said exactly what I'd told the salesman, the salesman dropped his note pad and briefcase on the floor, the same as in my vision but that I had not told the salesman. From that day on the salesman and the engineer would get creeped out around me. :lol:

Nicolas
2005-Apr-10, 08:33 AM
déjà-vu :)

trob
2005-Apr-10, 09:50 AM
I had an out of body experience once while lifting weights. Actually I was doing squats and suddenly I find myself under the ceiling watching myself...WEIRD. It didn't last for long, and I seemed to be able to will my body from a distance, but with out the pain of the weights.

No steroids or smelling salts were involved...just a pure naturally induced chemical reaction of the brain I suspect. A massive endorphine rush created by long and hard workout. Cool 8)

Trob

2005-Apr-10, 10:26 AM
I've often had the feeling that I'm being watched. Perhaps, one day, someone will actually be watching me??? :lol: :lol:

Maksutov
2005-Apr-10, 10:49 AM
I've often had the feeling that I'm being watched. Perhaps, one day, someone will actually be watching me??? :lol: :lol:
You know, Peter, I'd bet you wouldn't do what you just did if you knew someone was watching.

But, it's OK, your secret is safe with us. :wink:

Eroica
2005-Apr-10, 11:00 AM
I've often had the feeling that I'm being watched.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you :D

mickal555
2005-Apr-10, 11:01 AM
déjà-vu

You experience somthing remember it and then recall that memery all at the same time.

Happens to me sometimes

Weird

I'd be sure I'd done it before but I knew I haddn't, not becasue it was impossible, but because I had done it before- just then. :o

2005-Apr-10, 12:20 PM
I've often had the feeling that I'm being watched.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you :D

And, all this time, I've thought it was the Illuminati and the CIA?? :( :( :(

Jpax2003
2005-Apr-11, 06:10 PM
I sometimes get a failed deja vu. I'll get the sense that this has happened before but with a different outcome and that somehow I have fixed the problem so that the outcome is good instead of bad.

Maybe this is related to the strange sense I have of expecting the future. Some of you might remember last summer a thread where I mentioned that I had precognition of 9/11. It was not a dream and I had a witness. We were taking about guns, then secret ops, then assassination plots. At one point the idea popped into my head that terrorists could take over a plane with box cutters and plastic knives and that SOP would dictate letting the hijackers do what they wanted. Then I realized that no one would expect that what they wanted was to crash into buildings in Washington DC and the WTC. I had this sudden realization that it was imminent. I told the guy I was talking to that it was so simple it would work and that if I could think it up, then they had to have thought it up also. Then, in an unusually dramatic fashion as if it were being recorded for posterity, I said, "The only reason it hasn't happened is because they haven't tried it yet." This conversation occured on September 2, 2001.

The sense of foreboding was so strong I started several times to write letters to someone, President, Senate, CIA, FBI, FAA, someone to tell them that this could happen, and would without proper changes in protocol, but I never finished the letters. I finally convinced myself that if I could think of it, the defenders of the US would also think of it and would also plan for it. I decided that if the attack was thwarted then we might never hear about it because they would not want us to panic and they would want to deny intel to the enemy for operational failure assessment.

I had been hyper about this for over a week and I was having trouble sleeping. Eventually, I rationalized the above and decided I was just being paranoid. I could not get to sleep Monday night as I still had a sense of expectation, but I figured it was just the Chandra Levy case. I just expected an important story to break. Finally, I closed my eyes and drifted off a little for about 15 minutes. While I was asleep in front of the TV I heard voices talking about a plane crashing into the WTC. I thought to myself that I was dreaming about that premonition I had been having all week. But it kept repeating so I woke mysef up and saw the north tower in flames. I was in as much shock as everyone else, but mine was of a sightly different variety.

To this day I don't know if I could have made a difference. I figure that before those events they would have considered me a kook or worse, a terrorist. After that event it seems like a lot of people claimed premonitions, and precognitive dreams. Even my brother dreamed about planes flying into buildings a day or two beforehand. I don't know of anyone else who had the same level of detail and analysis of this event precognitively. I still wonder if anyone would have listened to me and if those thousands who died didn't have to.
----------------------------
Sometimes I'll fee a little down and in prayer I will ask God for a little sign that he is still there looking out for me and I will get quick vision as a result. One time I had a vision where I saw a white car sitting in a sandwich shop in downtown Chicago. Later on the radio I heard about a car crashing into a Subway restaurant in the city. That night, on the TV news, the image I saw was exactly what I saw in the vision, a white car half crashed through a plate glass window. The funny thing was that I had originally discounted the vision because the windows I envisioned were the floor to ceiling type on skyscrapers and I didn't expect a restaurant to be in the ground floor (sidewalk level) of a highrise for some reason, but it was.

Another time I had a vision of a diver fighting with a shark and dying, but then I had the thought that the diver was forgiving the shark and did not want it killed. A few days later I heard that something just like this happened in Australia, I think. The diver's brother wanted to kill the shark but others said that would not have been the wishes of his brother.

When I was 15 I tried to use some sort of guided imagery to guess the numbers of the lottery. This was at a time when Illinois experimented with a 7 number lotto. After I picked 5 numbers I started feeling bad about it, as if it were contrary to another destiny picked out for me long ago. So, as a proof of concept, but intending to fail, I randomly picked 2 more numbers out of a collection I had also "imaged" in the guided imagery, expecting that the other two correct numbers were in that set. As I expected the 5 numbers were correct, but the two random numbers were wrong, however the other two winning numbers were in that set I had imaged. For picking 5 out of 7 numbers we won $9.80.

mopc
2005-Apr-11, 07:59 PM
Just for the record: I just remembered that I dreamed last night that the next pope would be the "archbishop of Milan" or "the bishop of Milan" or something from Milan. That's not totally accidental since I read a list of candidates that included a priest from Milan. But in the dream I recall reacting with disappointment knowing they chose "another Italian".

Maybe everybody else should start writing potential precognitive dreams here, so we can check if they happen... :o

Grendl
2005-Apr-11, 09:15 PM
I seem to have regressed to the year 1988 today. Certainly, I've had more unusual things happen in my life, but they are too involved to discuss. Besides having an Erasure song stuck in my head, I just answered the phone with the name of my company from 1988, "Connecticut...." :o I never even owned an Erasure album. Then I made a reference to an article I read in 1988 in Harper's magazine on our forum...about the Hottentots, no less. I also keep catching something moving out of the corner of my eye, but nothing is there. :o Not to mention deja vu twice already. I've started looking on line at "In This Year: 1988" stuff online to see what might be triggering this. Odd...and the more I think about what I was doing in 1988 the worse it gets. #-o

I don't do drugs--legal or illegal, have cancelled all prescriptions...I haven't even taken sinus medicine for several days now. Sleepy yes, but I've never been a great sleeper. And why did this start at work? Perhaps, I'm not describing this very well, but it's puzzling in a not so unpleasant way, except for the Erasure song that keeps popping up constantly.

Eroica
2005-Apr-12, 11:50 AM
Just for the record: I just remembered that I dreamed last night that the next pope would be the "archbishop of Milan" or "the bishop of Milan" or something from Milan. That's not totally accidental since I read a list of candidates that included a priest from Milan. But in the dream I recall reacting with disappointment knowing they chose "another Italian".
Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi (http://www.catholicnews.com/jpii/cardinals/0501854.htm)

Maybe I should pop down to the bookies and slap a few bob on him! :D

mopc
2005-Apr-12, 03:48 PM
Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi (http://www.catholicnews.com/jpii/cardinals/0501854.htm)

Maybe I should pop down to the bookies and slap a few bob on him! :D
Yeah, that's the one. Of course Im not claiming I dreamt of him out of the blue, I had read about him being a favorite. Unfortunately we don't have betting houses here in Brazil, or maybe we do? :-k

Melusine
2005-May-05, 11:57 AM

Features
April 2005 issue

Strangely Familiar
Researchers are starting to pin down what déjà vu is and why it arises. But have you read this already? Maybe you just can't remember
By Uwe Wolfradt

You're driving down the bustling main street of a picturesque little town you have never visited before. The traffic light turns red, you stop, and an old lady steps into the crosswalk from the left. All of a sudden you are overcome with a feeling that you have been here before--in the same car, at the same crosswalk, with the same woman stepping off the curb in the same way. Yet by the time she reaches your front bumper, you realize the scene no longer matches quite so well with what you thought you were recalling. And you do know you have not been here previously. The familiarity is broken.

Various studies indicate that 50 to 90 percent of us can recall having had at least one such déjà vu incident in our lives. We experience a vague sense of having encountered a situation before, identical in every detail, even though we can't say when the first event took place. Usually the sensation lasts only a few seconds. Teens and young adults stumble on the dreamlike state more often than older adults, yet people of all ages experience déjà vu, especially when they are either fatigued or overly aware because of stress. A few people sense the inverse of déjà vu, called jamais vu. When they encounter a familiar person or place, they nonetheless insist they have never seen the individual or scene before.

The term "déjà vu"--French for "seen already"--may have first been used in 1876 by French physician Émile Boirac. For much of the 20th century, psychiatrists espoused a Freudian-based explanation of déjà vu--that it is an attempt to recall suppressed memories. This "paramnesia" theory suggests that the original event was somehow linked to distress and was being suppressed from conscious recognition, no longer accessible to memory. Therefore, a similar occurrence later could not elicit clear recall yet would somehow "remind" the ego of the original event, creating an uneasy familiarity.

Many who have experienced déjà vu share the conviction that the phenomenon must arise from some mystical power or as a sign of a past life and reincarnation. They reason that because logical thought and clear perception reign immediately before and after an episode, some paranormal force must be the only plausible explanation.

Scientists, unsatisfied with such conjecture, have long sought clues about the physical causes behind déjà vu, but investigation has proved elusive, because déjà vu never announces itself in advance. Scientists have been forced to rely mostly on the recollections of test subjects. But enough accounts have been examined to allow experts to start defining what déjà vu is and why it arises.
Complete article: Scientific American Mind, "Deja Vu Explained"
(http://www.sciammind.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007D66E-45CF-123A-822283414B7F4945)

mopc
2005-May-05, 09:34 PM
I had dejavu the other day, and I thought about posting in this old thread... than someone else resurrected it!!!! PSYCHIC! :D

The dejavu I had...wait.... I forgot maybe I'm having a jamais vu now! ... oh.. It was when I aswered the phone and it was the school I work in telling me when my class was gonna be, while I munched something in my kitchen - that minute I had the eerie feeling that exact situation had already happened, that is, they calling me about class times and me munching that exact cookie simultaneously... but it could have happened in reality, since they are always calling me and I'm always munching something!

pumpkinpie
2005-May-06, 01:47 AM
I used to get deja vu all the time--as a symptom of epilepsy. That Scientific American Mind article mentions it a little. It started happening when I was in high school. Before I knew what was going on, it was starting to drive me crazy! I would have 8-10 feelings of deja vu over a couple of days. It would last for about 30 seconds, along with what's called "gastric rising," what I describe as going over a roller coaster hill in very slow motion. I would also have a very bad headache the whole time. This happened every month or two for a couple years. (no, it wasn't related to another monthly cycle....)
In epilepsy literature, it's labeled as "psychic symptoms." So I'm psychic! :lol: Fortunately I was diagnosed, put on meds, and I haven't had any problems since 1997. I'm even off the medicine now, for about 1-1/2 years.
I never really called it deja vu, I described it as "remembering a dream." Which I guess is the same thing! But it would be more like I had dreamed whatever situation I was currently in. But it wouldn't be just like a thought in my head--I would feel it in my whole body. Pretty intense. When I finally saw it in writing that others had gone through much of what I had, it was very reassuring!

Now, I do get a sense of deja vu every now and then. But it's just a passing feeling. If I ever have it like I did before, I know I have to call my doctor right away, because it could eventually lead to full-blown seizures.

mopc
2005-May-31, 10:54 PM
Just had a mild episode of sleep paralysis! Just got out now! Now it's 19h39, the episode once again took place in an afternoon nap, that started some two hours ago.

I dreamed for a long time that I was half asleep on the upper bed of a double deck bed, but that I was on a trip, that I was on the Europe trip that I made in late 2004 or something similar. I dreeamed that people came in and out of the room, which was in a youth hostel just like the ones I stayed in. My dream also included some other story but I just recall loose images. The TV was on the Discovery Channel and that must explain the part I dreamt that two of my best friends came into the room with some guy that was speaking Spanish, something about the cosmos, big fancy talk - the discovery Channel sometimes has glitches hereand the programs get a Spanish dubbing, probably because we share the satelites that go to the Hispanic countries. That part fit very well into the dream that I was in a trip and my friends had met some foreign guy (which was a slender black guy reminiscent of a Brazilian actor)

Than I became aware that I was not in a hostel but at home and i couldn't awake. I tried to move but I only dreamed I moved, i dreamed I lifted my legs and pulled my body to the side, than I realised I had only lifted my legs without moving - the funny thing is that later I realized that I hadn't even lifted my leg!

Than there was a boom probably on TV (not so likely, now I noticed the TV volume is quite low, but maybe) and I gained more consciousness, that I actually shifted my body to the side. Still very sleepy, I lay in bed for a while and than stood up.

During the episode I was lying belly up as all other times I had similar stuff. This one was different and more dream-like.

skwirlinator
2005-May-31, 11:15 PM
These things have happened to me;

*Threw an empty beer can across a two car garage towards a trash can and it landed on a rafter upright and stopped. No shake or shimmy, just stopped.
Later it fell down into the trash can by itself.

*Knocked a glass of milk off the dinnertable and I caught it before it hit the floor and didn't spill a single drop

*Dropped a bolt while working on an engine and it fell into the hole it was supposed to be in after bouncing around the top of the engine.

*Threw my pen to a coworker who missed the catch but the pen landed in his pen pocket and stayed. (penpocket is the part of the shirt pocket that is just big enough for your pen,usually on a uniform shirt)

*Stated to a clerk that I had "No Time" and when I looked at my watch it read all zeros (Accidently must have bumped the lap timer or something) but its what the clerk saw too.

*My 13th week after bootcamp I was assigned to barracks 1313 cube 13 bunk one locker 3 on the 3rd of January at 1300 hrs. My full name is 13 letters. My children total 1 girl and 3 boys. Iplayed 1313 in the lottery and missed the jackpot by 13.

I can tell when it will rain because the trees get happy.

=D>

mopc
2005-May-31, 11:28 PM
*Stated to a clerk that I had "No Time" and when I looked at my watch it read all zeros (Accidently must have bumped the lap timer or something) but its what the clerk saw too.

That must have been funny! The other ones sound freaky though.

skwirlinator
2005-May-31, 11:38 PM
Whats really funny is now when I say I don't have time I always look at my watch to see if I really don't

#-o

hippietrekx
2005-Jun-01, 03:27 AM
Saturday afternoon I was watching Revenge of the Sith in theaters and I dropped my over-priced soft drink onto the floor when I was too caught up in a light-saber duel to notice I was missing the cup-holder...

The cup landed top-up and not a drop spilt.

Then the cool-ness of it all ended when I went to pick up the cup and knocked all of my Rasinettes onto the floor... #-o

--htx

mopc
2005-Jun-01, 07:02 PM
Saturday afternoon I was watching Revenge of the Sith in theaters and I dropped my over-priced soft drink onto the floor when I was too caught up in a light-saber duel to notice I was missing the cup-holder...

Then the cool-ness of it all ended when I went to pick up the cup and knocked all of my Rasinettes onto the floor... #-o

--htx

Nothing like a mundane unusual phenomenon at the end of the day!

What about you folks? You must have been having unusual phenomena happening to you the past few months! Even though they're supposed to be unusual...they happen quite often.

Nicolas
2005-Jun-01, 07:18 PM

--htx

I can top that!

I once was putting rivets into metal sheet (to build a dummy satellite box, but that's a different story).
Anyway I was using the home-style rivets with a metal driving rod. I used a hydraulic gun. When the rivet is placed, this rod rests in the gun and is removed by shaking the gun.

Somewhere in the process (200 rivets), I shook one out, which fell on the metal sheet and stood straight up!!

__
||
||
||
||
||
\/
----------------------------

That principle. You see it right: the bottom of the rivet is a cut-off wedge!

I was totally amazed by the looks of that scene. The rod stood there for seconds, and only tipped over when I blew at it in disbelief.

Possible explanations are -of course- an extremely upright landing position, where remaining in that position possibly was aided by magnetism or miniscule emebdding of the little rod into the sheet.

frogesque
2005-Jun-01, 07:26 PM
Nicolas:

Was it at the Spring Equinox? 8)

mopc
2005-Jun-01, 07:28 PM
Nicolas:

Was it at the Spring Equinox? 8)

LOL!

Nicolas
2005-Jun-01, 07:38 PM
:D

I don't remember the date. So it is possible. 1/365 chance. :-?

On reflection: it is not possible. I had a holiday then IIRC.

mopc
2005-Jun-05, 09:31 PM
Funny coincidence...

I just bought a news magazine a few moments ago and I was reading about the guy that revealed the Watergate scandal, and I thought about that movie where two teenage blond girls become friends with Nixon and wind up becoming the contact that revealed Watergate to the press, and I though about the scene where the girls meet the reporters in an underground garage, because the magazine mentioned that's where the actual CIA guy met the reporters.. then I come home right now, turn the TV on, and on the TNT channel theyre playing that movie on that exact scene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skwirlinator
2005-Jun-05, 09:57 PM
WoW!
I've awakened from a dream before and switched on the radio and immediately heard a song that was playing in my dream. Almost like my brain was somehow 'picking up' that particular station.
I wonder how sensitive our synapse are to waveforms in the atmosphere? I wonder if there has ever been a study of this? Living under powerlines disrupts the brain activity of people?

Nicolas
2005-Jun-05, 10:01 PM
Living under powerlines disrupts the brain activity of people?

Would explain a lot about Nicolas... :D

My neighbour for 18 years:
http://users.telenet.be/rondvluchten/M21_bestanden/image004.jpg
2800 MW baby
It's hard to see the power lines on the pic, but they stretch in 4 or 5 directions from the power plant.

The extreme lower left trees were my backyard...

Melusine
2005-Jun-06, 11:29 AM
Funny coincidence...

I just bought a news magazine a few moments ago and I was reading about the guy that revealed the Watergate scandal, and I thought about that movie where two teenage blond girls become friends with Nixon and wind up becoming the contact that revealed Watergate to the press, and I though about the scene where the girls meet the reporters in an underground garage, because the magazine mentioned that's where the actual CIA guy met the reporters.. then I come home right now, turn the TV on, and on the TNT channel theyre playing that movie on that exact scene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mopc, I think the force is with you. All the synapses are firing. Actually, there are some weeks I have where that happens constantly to me, and it almost becomes too much. This morning I was standing in the bathroom brushing my teeth under my air-conditioner motor, which is up in the ceiling, and I was thinking how when I go on vacation I'm worried about it breaking down, and that it would get over 90% in my apartment (as has happened). My pets would be suffering, and could become dehydrated and die. Then it broke! The motor is not functioning and there's a bad odor, so I had to turn it off and make a call to maintenance. So, I have no A/C right now. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sauer/angry-smiley-045.gif

Lianachan
2005-Jun-06, 12:04 PM
Few things:

Coincidences: I was once standing on the platform at Hyndland (train) station in Glasgow, and I had a look at my ticket. I saw my phone number there, and I thought "that's odd, I didn't tell them my phone number" and then noticed that it was actually the ticket number (while still being the same as my phone number).

A.B.C.: Although not paranormal, I have on three occasions witnessed what's commonly called alien big cats. The first two sightings were seperated by a week and about three miles - presumably the same animal - and the third sighting was a few months later and about 12 miles away from the first.

Comedy balancing: A few years ago, at a meeting, I finished a small plastic bottle of Coke and hurled the empty in the general direction of the bin. Standard issue round metal wastebin, with a plastic liner. Rather than go into the bin, my bottle ended up balanced on the rim. The plastic liner was holding it in place, but it was still a pretty unlikely landing.

mopc
2005-Jun-07, 06:38 PM
Last night I went to bed and I started hearing the sound of what seemed an insect flying around the bedroom. In the night I had a few unusual dreams, one of them about how I saw a huge beetle in my childhood bedroom, then I sprayed it with some cleaning product, if fell over (it had long legs) and the ants started to tear it to pieces and carry them, but later I noticed (still in the dream) that the head of the beetle was climbing my bed sheets but I knocked it over.

The funny thing is that there was no flying insect in my bedroom neither yesterday or today when I woke up - it couldnt have fled, the room was all closed, and I checked every nook.

But about two days ago, I was at the computer here in my bedroom, and through the window came flying what at first I thought was a bat - actually a huge brown moth. It landed on the wall and then flew around a few times to land on other walls. I estimated its wingspan at least 10cm. I took a picture of it with my digital camera by the way!

I can say that I've been pretty bugged over the past few days!

David Carroll
2005-Jun-07, 07:19 PM
Wierdest unexplained occurences of my life:

1) At a young age I was laying on the living room sofa awaiting sleep as was often my wont (thought it was cool to sleep anywhere but in my bed :lol:) when suddenly an apparition that resembled a man in a trench coat and floppy-brimmed hat seemed to slip in through the window and began approaching me. It raised an arm and appeared to be brandishing a large, shiny knife. I was literally paralyzed with fear, the only time in my life, attempting without success to scream for help. Suddenly I did succeed in releasing a scream and the figure appeared to suddenly slip feet-first under the sofa on which I lay. My screams brought my parents at a trot and when I told them what had happened they pooh-poohed it claiming I was asleep and dreamed the ghostly figure. To this day I swear that I was fully awake and it was years before I would sleep anywhere but in my bedroom after that. This was my first and scariest but not my last "ghost."

2) At about fourteen or fifteen years I was camping out with a friend in his backyard. We lay for a long time contemplating the sky, watching airplanes, looking for satellites, and discussing all the things that the sight of the naked galaxy brings to young minds. At one point we were watching a bright speck of light that we assumed to be a satellite making its way slowly across the sky when we noticed another such light approaching at similar speed from the opposite direction and at the same latitude or whatever the correct term is. We watched this curious phenomenon for several minutes, speculating on the possible significance of it and then both lights stopped moving at once. Startled now, we continued to watch as a smaller, redder light appeared to separate from the light to the right of us and travel toward the light on the left. On seemingly making contact with the light on the left, that light simply went out. The light to the right then began tracking back the way it had come. We were astonished and wondered if we had just witnessed some sort of space battle or something. Naturally, no one believed us when we told about it.

3) On a night when I was sixteen, I encountered my second and third "spirits" consecutively. I was on the way home from a church youth group meeting when the bus broke down only a mile or so from my house. It was fairly late in the evening and no one was about. As I was so near home I elected to walk and took off. When I had come within about four blocks of my house I noticed a car parked on the shoulder that appeared to have someone sitting behind the wheel. Problem was, I could see right through him even though I could make a person out quite clearly. The hackles up on my neck, I circled the car to get a different perspective and the vision remained constant and transparent the entire time, looking neither to the left or the right, nor seeming to move at all.

Completely creeped out I continued hurriedly on home lost in thought about the phantom I had just witnessed. As I came within a block of my home a little old lady in old-fashioned garments walked by me going the other way and I nodded to her as we passed. Immediately it occured to me that it was an odd time of day for an old woman to be out on her own and I turned for another look only to find that she had vanished as if never there and there was no possible way she could have physically disappeared in the second or two after we crossed paths. I ran the rest of the way home, needless to say.

David Carroll
2005-Jun-07, 07:35 PM
mopc wrote:

Last night I went to bed and I started hearing the sound of what seemed an insect flying around the bedroom. In the night I had a few unusual dreams, one of them about how I saw a huge beetle in my childhood bedroom, then I sprayed it with some cleaning product, if fell over (it had long legs) and the ants started to tear it to pieces and carry them, but later I noticed (still in the dream) that the head of the beetle was climbing my bed sheets but I knocked it over.

The funny thing is that there was no flying insect in my bedroom neither yesterday or today when I woke up - it couldnt have fled, the room was all closed, and I checked every nook.

But about two days ago, I was at the computer here in my bedroom, and through the window came flying what at first I thought was a bat - actually a huge brown moth. It landed on the wall and then flew around a few times to land on other walls. I estimated its wingspan at least 10cm. I took a picture of it with my digital camera by the way!

I can say that I've been pretty bugged over the past few days!

I've got a couple of creepy true bug stories for you and there was nothing paranormal about one of them.

One night I dreamed that I was standing on a bridge when I was suddenly seized by giant insectile claws and dragged over the side. I awoke only to find that I had fallen half-way off the bed and staring me in the face only inches away was a huge cucuracha. I tried to kill it but it escaped which, as you might imagine, made me rather uneasy to say the least.

Another time I was asleep when I awoke with the sensation that something had just crawled into my ear. My first thought was that it had been a dream but then I felt it something scrabbling around inside my ear canal. I tried to dig it out with my fingers but could not reach it. It kept doing whatever it was doing and the sensation was excrutiating. No matter what I tried the damned thing refused to budge and finally in desperation I decided to at least make it uncomfortable and filled my ear with some ear wax dissolver. Oh. My. God. That damned thing began kicking up a fuss like never before and I thought I might lose my mind when it suddenly exited the ear and died on the spot. It was some sort of small scarab beetle. You do not ever want to wake up that way, trust me.

mopc
2005-Jun-27, 01:46 AM
Boy am I glad the babbling is back. The day the Board Stood Still I had a relatively strong episode of sleep paralysis, just the second I had since the 2002 streak, the first one is described above on page six, dated may 31.

Funny that after that episode I rushed to the computer to post about it here, and found the topic locked, than I saw the board was locked, I even saved a printscreen just in case noone would believe me....that was another unusual phenomenon that happened to us all!!!

But the thing is I had three more episodes after that day and I discovered amazing things about the mind. AMAZING. Visions, mind tricks, and yesterday, lucid dreaming. I CAN'T DESCRIBE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more later.

Archer17
2005-Jun-27, 03:33 AM
I posted this before in similar thread a while back ..

Back in the mid-to-late 80's, my girlfriend (now my wife) used to own an orange Firebird that really moved! This car had quick pickup, good handling, and was perfect for what we considered some back road "fun" in those carefree days. One time we decided to take the Firebird down a little-used road that was basically a straight-away for miles with one rather steep curve near the 3/4 mark. We took turns flying down the roadway with the pedal to the metal, slowing only slightly when rounding the curve (I shudder when I look back on some of the things we did for "fun" now!) The last time, Lynn was behind the wheel and had the car going at a decent clip as we came up to the curve in the road when I suddenly blurted out "WATCH OUT FOR THE DOG!" for no apparent reason. Lynn slowed (rather abruptly I might add!), looked around and asked "where?" I looked at her sheepishly since I had no idea why that came out of my mouth and when we took the curve moments later, there in front of us standing in the middle of the road was one of those large "Cujo-type" St. Bernards! Lynn just stared at me. Needless to say, that was it for our high-speed hijinks that day!

I have no explanation for this. I did not see the dog on any of our prior "flybys," in fact this road was so seldom used that this dog was the first living thing we saw.. period. I do not recall having a specific "vision" of this dog as we came up on the curve or anything like that, it was more like I suddenly knew. I don't really believe in things like ESP, clairvoyance, precognition, etc for scientific reasons, mainly that I can't think of a mechanism for such phenomena let alone that people can't seem to do this stuff in controlled settings (at least with the consistency that would win them a million bucks with Randi) .. but this was weird!!.

As the years went by I tried convincing myself that this was a coincidence in that when approaching a curve most people, at least subconsciously, think of potential unseen perils and there had to be a statistical possibility of this kind of thing happening once in a while. But how did I know it was a dog? This dog was in the middle of nowhere, a deer would've been more probable. Even another car. Strange, huh?

mopc
2005-Jul-17, 07:04 AM
One hell of a dream just 30 minutes ago. I first dreamed of my grandmother, who died last year and with whom I lived. I don't remember exatly what that dream was, but then I "woke up" in the dream, and today is windy for real, in the dream I heard the wind blowing, whispering in a feminine voice, while I was still in bed (in the dream), "liiiing" "liiing" "liinghun"... which means "soul" in Chinese (which I speak) I felt it as a sign from my grandmother's soul or something. That scared me, so I got out of bed (still dreaming, but I thought I was awake) and went into the corridor that leads to kitchen and living room, only to find that the way into the living room was blocked by moved living room furniture. I thought somebody might have broken into the apartment, but I wanted to look between the pieces of furniture to see what was in the living room. I felt still sleepy and numb, so it was hard to look and move stuff, but eventually I managed to see through and saw my father and some guy that I saw like five times in my life (Paulo I guess) from a place where I worked. They were sitting in the sofa (Paulo) and armchair (my father) and dammit I forgot the exact words, but I said something like "I tried to look for.." and my father replied "You looked in vain" or something, I was eager to hear the rest of what he was going to say, but then I woke up for real. It was 1:48 a.m. in my alarm clock.

mopc
2005-Jul-17, 01:59 PM
MIND-BLOWING!!!

Just after I wrote the above, I tried to sleep again, a little afraid for once in July/Aug 1995, I had a dream with a similar feel that was followed by a bang when I tried sleep again (described in this thread). So I was afraid something might happen. It did. The most awesome stuff.

First, sleep paralysis, which is starting to become a good friend of mine, as you can all read in other posts here. Actually before paralysis, I had bizarre sensations of pressure in my belly, as if "sucked" by gravity, about 30 times!!! But then SP kicked in. Must have been around 6:30 - 7 in the morning, I hadnt actually fallen asleep after the linghun dream.

I used this episode to test stuff I hadnt tested yet in other episodes:

-tongue movement: apparently possible, though I might have deluded.
-opening mouth: not quite sure, a little maybe.
-speaking, uttering sounds: no can do
-turning head: no siree.

Breathing control is possible only in halting it, but then speeding up to recover breath is impossible.

-lucid dreaming: YES. Including the so-called out-of-body experience of flying over yourself. I did that some three times, IT FELT SO REAL. But upon checking if my perceived body matched reality, I noticed I could make my body change position.

In sleep paralysis it's common for people to try to move so hard that their minds actually create the perception of moving your body, that happens to me all the time. This time I channeled it differently, creating lucid dreams such as the "out-of-body" experience and others. First I had the impression of being able to move but even though I was standing up as far as my perception was concerned, I remained skeptical. So I "went" to pick a Polish-English dictionary from the bookshelf above my bed to see if I could read some word I can't possibly know, so the pages became fuzzy and suddenly I perceived I was lying in bed still in SP.(continues...)

mopc
2005-Jul-17, 02:23 PM
Then I tried the flying thing. I tried to lucid dream myself flying over Sao Paulo, and also Santos where I live. In both cases I noticed I couldn't make the cities look realistic, and flying over Sao Paulo suddenly the city started to change into a lovely German-style city that looked like Hamburg, but even more beautiful. I felt like crying from such a beautiful view. I remember saying to myself, oh my god, this is so beautiful. I could see all the details.

Then I fell into a more sleepy dream, I dreamt of drivin a car and being stopped by the police, I was hoping to turn that car into a flying car but I couldnt.

I also had the typical "peripheral vision field presence" as in the corner of my eye I "saw" some guy lying on the flour beside my bed moving a little as if trying to find a position to sleep. I tried to turn that presence into an evil presence as I "jumped over" him from my bed and started to beat him, but nothing happened. Many people see evil presences.

I heard conversations and voices too. That scared me a little.

And there was a lot of minor stuff, the episode lasted longer than any other I had. When I snapped out of it, it was 7:44 in my alarm clock, the thing might have lasted an our.

Specialists say time perception is dilated in SP but I remember hearing the sound of busses on the street, it's a shame my alarm clock was outside my field of vision. But I'm pretty sure I started the thing by sunrise, at about 6:30-7 am.

The whole time all I could see for real was the bookshelf above my head, and the ceiling, for so long that it's burned in my retina! I couldnt move my head at all.

Raptor1967
2005-Jul-17, 05:15 PM
My mother married a man that believed he had the power of astral travel. Being a skeptic I made him a challenge. I took an old figurine owned by my mother and instructed him to find the place where I had hidden it in my home. (My home was 200 kilometers away). The next morning he called me and told me exactly where I had hidden it. I did this for three more nights and every morning he would describe exactly where I had placed the figurine. Needless to say this freaked me out and to date I do not have a reasonable explanation as to how he did this.

Eroica
2005-Jul-18, 11:53 AM
My mother married a man that believed he had the power of astral travel. Being a skeptic I made him a challenge. I took an old figurine owned by my mother and instructed him to find the place where I had hidden it in my home. (My home was 200 kilometers away). The next morning he called me and told me exactly where I had hidden it. I did this for three more nights and every morning he would describe exactly where I had placed the figurine. Needless to say this freaked me out and to date I do not have a reasonable explanation as to how he did this.
Why doesn't he take Randi for a cool million? :D

mopc
2005-Jul-18, 01:03 PM
Once I saw a TV show where a magician performed this same "guess the drawing" thing. I don´t know which is more amazing, the magician´s trick or the actual thing.

mopc
2005-Dec-02, 10:19 PM
Well, to bring this old thread back to life, I gotta tell you that I have been having plenty of Sleep Paralysis episodes, but now I can induce the state while in semi-sleep, and then induce lucid dreams.

Any more bizarre stuff happening to you guys?

Gemini
2005-Dec-02, 11:17 PM
This is a dream I posted at the starshipmodeler forum, this is wierd.

Speaking of Shatner & Spader, They actually had acting parts in a couple of dreams of mine. Shatner (as Kirk) in a very weird rendition of Independence Day when instead of Smith and Goldblum in a captured Alien ship it was Shatner and Kelly (as Dr. Mckoy) in a refit-era shuttle blowing up the mother ship with phasers Also, Spader guest stared ( in another dream) as a Pizza Delivery person from Domino's, along side RDA(as O'neill) and Amanda Tapping (as Carter) (Something to do with dogfight between a Deathglider and an F-302, why I was in it and ordering pizza is beyond me)

Gillianren
2005-Dec-03, 01:11 AM
Any more bizarre stuff happening to you guys?

I've been remembering to take my pills pretty much on time. Does that count?