PDA

View Full Version : Bright Blue Lava!

BigDon
2016-Apr-24, 01:55 AM
http://shockied.com/blue-lava/

Apparently when lava has a lot of sulfur in it it glows blue instead of red.

Quite beautiful.

KaiYeves
2016-Apr-24, 02:56 AM
Oh yes, it's a really cool phenomenon! I've seen a few pics before on Tumblr.

2016-Apr-24, 06:13 AM
Smithsonian: Why Does This Indonesian Volcano Burn Bright Blue? (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-does-indonesian-volcano-burn-bright-blue-180949576/)

Little of the web coverage, though, has enlightened readers on the scientific principles at work. "This blue glow, unusual for a volcano, isn't the lava itself, as unfortunately can be read on many websites," Grunewald says. "It is due to the combustion of sulfuric gases in contact with air at temperatures above 360C."

publiusr
2016-Apr-30, 08:34 PM
And here I thought it was all yellow

Seshat
2016-May-14, 06:24 AM
Smithsonian: Why Does This Indonesian Volcano Burn Bright Blue? (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-does-indonesian-volcano-burn-bright-blue-180949576/)

I read that whole article in the link, and I found it very interesting as well as sobering, particularly when they discussed the terrible conditions the workers have to go through mining around the volcano. It certainly takes a lot of strength and determination to take on additional night shifts as well. I like how they explained what we were seeing in the photo (and the video in the article), and how conditions in the air's temperature and level of oxygen affects the colour of burning sulfuric gas, which, as the article states, one can only see at night.

Understanding that Jupiter's moon, Io, has a very high level of volcanic activity, I wondered if it were possible for burning sulfuric gas to glow blue at night on its volcanoes too. But judging by how the sulfuric gases burn when exposed to oxygen, I'm not sure if that would happen on Io, since its atmosphere is mostly sulfur dioxide, thanks to its many erupting volcanoes. In addition, the sulfur dioxide rich atmosphere freezes almost immediately on the night side of Io, so I doubt that even if there was enough oxygen in its atmosphere for sulfuric gases there to burn blue, it would freeze too fast for the effects to take place.

(I hope that didn't go too off topic, but let me know if it did.)

publiusr
2016-May-14, 08:42 PM
The plumes did look blue.

KaiYeves
2016-May-15, 05:07 PM
And here I thought it was all yellow

Listening to Coldplay, are we?

publiusr
2016-May-15, 07:08 PM
You caught me. I always thought their "Viva La Vida" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears were great bookends. That and Simple Minds "Don't You" came out in the same year I graduated, O/T.

KaiYeves
2016-May-16, 01:07 AM
You caught me. I always thought their "Viva La Vida" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears were great bookends. That and Simple Minds "Don't You" came out in the same year I graduated, O/T.

"Clocks" came on in the cafeteria today when I was having dinner. I realized how well the lyrics fit Donald Crowhurst and got kind of sad.

Buttercup
2016-May-16, 04:56 PM
That's so weirdly beautiful.